Anyone agree? (Bama’s coach)

Yep, Remember when Fulmer & Pruitt on same practice field, that was my first warning something's not right. The bad thing is DeBoer will have to defer to the Saban, not just some of the time but all of the time. The other bad thing is if & when UT beats them they gave Saban a pass, that will not happen this time in Gump land. He can't say well, I was just doing what my master had planned out. The loss will be on him and if they win big most will say Saban is really guiding and tutoring DeBoer. It's a no win situation IMO. If they put this scenario in front of Oregon HC Dan Lanning, no wonder he turned them down, its a bad situation for any new HC.
The downward spiral begins

There was always going to be a drop off after Saban. The question is how far. They'll still get talent, but that guy hasn't experienced the SEC and it's a meat grinder and when you don't have 5 star players stacked on the bench like (Saban did) cordwood.. It's going to smack you in the face. The league is full of really good coaches that have been getting the Bama treatment for some time. There will be some payback coming, doesn't matter who is coaching them..

Obviously, time will tell how he does with the gumps. Yes, he has won in most places he’s been, especially as a HC. While no doubt successful, it’s difficult to judge his tenure at UW due to him having a 5th and 6th year quarterback that transferred with him from his days as OC at Indiana. So undoubtedly, Deboer and Penix had a long history of working together, since 2019. Bama still has some dudes, but I’d expect a big step back this season. I would be unpleasantly surprised with less than 4 losses for the gumps next season.

I do not agree. They guy is an offensive wizard and has dominated everywhere hes been. If he can make the right defensive hire and hang on to some talent, he’s gonna be a really good hire imo.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
some of you know, some don't, but I live in the middle of bammer land and surrounded by bammers and auburn tigers. They love the new hire. They seem to think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I guess we will see. All I know is I'm ready for some bama losses.

Reactions: LibertyVol
Need more headlines like this:

Alabama mass exodus continues as star safety Caleb Downs enters transfer portal after Nick Saban retires​

My feeling is that anyone they hired immediately after Saban would ultimately fail in three years. The standard is too high, the expectations of the fan base too unrealistic. The fact that the coach is a west coast guy new to the pressures and realities of big time SEC football likely make this a resume builder for DeBoer. The guy to worry about is the NEXT guy. I think DeBoer will ultimately regret his decision…on the way to the bank. Tuscaloosa is not for everybody.

I do not agree. They guy is an offensive wizard and has dominated everywhere hes been. If he can make the right defensive hire and hang on to some talent, he’s gonna be a really good hire imo.
It's the "hang on to some talent" part that seems problematic at this point. He's had several hit the portal after he's had a chance to meet with the team. So far, not so good there.

Plus there are two meat grinders he is not used to in his previous gigs - SEC recruiting and just the SEC regular season. Add to that replacing Saban and the spotlight that already is on Bama football...

He will get "good" recruits as a floor because it's Alabama. DuBose had good talent. Francione had good talent. Shula had good talent. I do agree though that he is an excellent offensive mind and used to winning, but yes, DC hire is crucial for him. Still... Can he get and keep elite talent? Can he he adjust to the hammering in's and out's of SEC life in the Bama Spotlight after the GOAT? That's a lot to chew on...

Reactions: sami
No where to go but down.

Surely.
I think with the changes portal, etc. teams are going to be more even in talent. The gumps are spoiled. I think disaster may be around the corner for them. If they start losing two or three games a year they are going to want to fire the coach. And then the coaching carasel begins which is not good. Stability is what you need in a program.

My feeling is that anyone they hired immediately after Saban would ultimately fail in three years. The standard is too high, the expectations of the fan base too unrealistic. The fact that the coach is a west coast guy new to the pressures and realities of big time SEC football likely make this a resume builder for DeBoer. The guy to worry about is the NEXT guy. I think DeBoer will ultimately regret his decision…on the way to the bank. Tuscaloosa is not for everybody.
I think your view is where we put our hope. I do not agree with OP that DeBoer is the next Harsin. DeBoer was more accomplished in his first HC gig than Harsin has been in entire career. The man knows how to coach and put a good product on the field.
If the internal pressure,, the fan expectations, the culture of Tusc, etc, following a legend are the downfall, it will be very fortunate for us.

Reactions: sami and 'Boro-vol
I think most would be pumped if we were coming off of firing Botch Jones, Precious or Tater Head...to hire a coach that just played in the NC game. Doesn't mean a thing towards whether he'd succeed here, but I think spirits would be up.
No doubt he got the job based on 2023. They had a great season. But I would worry he hasn't been the head coach of a real football program for very long -- less than 4 complete seasons.

NAIA is where he had most of his success, but that wouldn't be very reassuring (sort of like hiring a successful high school coach). Other than that, he's had two head coaching jobs at places where the competition was fair to mediocre for the most part. And he didn't stay at either place long enough to show that he's the kind of winner or homerun hire that so many people are gushing about.

It was as good a hire they could have made after Lanning IMO, and this guy is night and day from Harsin. He's a winner at the highest level, and very even keeled. The problem (for them) is that there will naturally be a step down initially, and DeBoer's future there will depend to a good degree on the reaction of the boosters and that spoiled fan base.

Given the chance he would do fine, but there will be a learning curve being in the SEC and southeast for the first time. There will never be another Saban and the league just got tougher - if they're seriously expecting to continue to win 10-11 games and compete for natty's every single year, then it's going to be a rough go in T-Town.

Regarding Saban, if he's stupid and insecure enough to meddle in the program, then all bets are off. I can't imagine he's that dumb and can't see how that would undermine the new guy, but I guess we'll find out.

Reactions: cgrish
No doubt he got the job based on 2023. They had a great season. But I would worry he hasn't been the head coach of a real football program for very long -- less than 4 complete seasons.

NAIA is where he had most of his success, but that wouldn't be very reassuring (sort of like hiring a successful high school coach). Other than that, he's had two head coaching jobs at places where the competition was fair to mediocre for the most part. And he didn't stay at either place long enough to show that he's the kind of winner or homerun hire that so many people are gushing about.
He didn't walk into a program at Washington that needed rebuilding. It was already a pretty good program.

Reactions: Hacksaw and Remy
I'm afraid he's a really good coach. The question is how he will adjust to SEC recruiting since he doesn't have any ties I don't believe and maybe he makes some questionable hires that cost him.
Yeah his coaching record is stellar. I think the key will be how he adjusts to the recruitment demands of the SEC, the boosters, etc. It's a goldmine job, but it won't be without its challenges. He's been on the west coast. It's a different animal in the south.

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL
Bama got who they wanted outside of Kirby Smart. This was the best coach available. Who else in the country could go get a coach who just took a team to the national championship game?

Will he thrive? Remains to be seen. But they couldn't have done any better on paper.

Reactions: chuck0303
Bama's future
Oh No Transformation GIF by The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization

And they have lost an entire recruiting class of players already. Alabama is about to fall to earth faster than in any program in history. Their fans are going to lose it almost immeidately. It will be splendid.
I don’t think they will. They have too much talent as it is and that coach has won wherever he has gone. He had almost an immediate impact on the Huskies, and it’s not like this is a rebuilding job. We shall see. I do think Lane would have continued Saban’s legacy. Unfortunately, now we have another power coach in the SEC.

Reactions: VolTull
I tried to imagine if this was a Tennessee hire how I would feel. I honestly don't think I would be very excited. I guess only time will tell.

I don’t get how TN fans wouldn’t be excited to get a coach that turned around a team from 4-8 to NC game in two years?

I get it at Bama coming off Saban. No one was going to be good enough. It’s funny that this guy was the 2nd pick but he beat the first pick twice this season.

Reactions: VolTull
some of you know, some don't, but I live in the middle of bammer land and surrounded by bammers and auburn tigers. They love the new hire. They seem to think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I guess we will see. All I know is I'm ready for some bama losses.
I’m in Alabama as well and everyone I know is split on the hire. All of my buddies here at work hate the hire.

VN Store

Back