Anyone agree? (Bama’s coach)

After Bill Curry won 10 games and a share of the SEC Championship, some fan threw a brick through his office window and they fired him. Curry's sin: failed to beat AU. What do you think happens if Bama loses to AU or doesn't make the 12 team playoff within DeBoer's first couple of years? He gone!
That would apply to anybody they hired. It doesn’t somehow make him Harsin 2.0.

Remember, Saban still has 100% access to the program. So, he's not really retired.
If his access includes ANY form of leadership while the other coach is "in charge" , it will be great day for us all. Having him around as a constant reminder may end up being a blessing too.

Reactions: LadyVolette
Correct. He won with somebody else's recruits. His personal recruiting for those 2 years at P5 UW produced classes outside the top 25 both years. That's hardly an endorsement for success at Bama, his personal ability to recruit at high levels is VERY much in question.
Well, that's an endorsement from me. 😉

We must welcome this man properly to Neyland in October. If you drink, drink brown liquor. If not have lots of coffee and give him hell.

When our rivals are in transition like this - and, therefore, vulnerable - we’ve got to learn how to exploit the opportunity to beat them. We have a bad habit historically of helping our opponents get off to a good start. The examples include recent Florida coaching changes - Muschamp, Dan Mullen, Shark-Humper, and now Napier. We generally just give these guys a big win to get started off right. We don’t step on the bad guy’s neck when we have the chance to set them back.

Admittedly, Alabama is going to remain strong regardless of coaching changes simply because they have a lot of depth and stability simply due to Saban’s amazing and prolonged track record.

Just get better. Play big when it counts. And kick these fools in the teeth. Go Vols!

Saban will enjoy a respite, and when DeBoer doesn't meet expectations, will return. Anyone think it's really possible?

I try to be objective. If I thought this was a great hire I would say so. From what I understand, a lot of Bama fans have the same feelings. And they certainly couldn't be accused of having orange glasses.
They’ve had saban for how long? Nothing would make them happy at this point. But I can’t imagine what hire would look better to them than this on paper? The guy has won everywhere he’s been. He just took a mediocre team to a NC. Who would’ve been great?

Reactions: Hacksaw
The way they are losing players and recruits might be a tough opening season for the new coach.

The way they are losing players and recruits might be a tough opening season for the new coach.
They have a very tough schedule too. Their SEC opener is Georgia. And in the 2nd half of the season they have to play UT, LSU, and Oklahoma all on the road.

It isn’t crazy to think they might lose 3 or more games. That would put DeBoer on the hot seat, fair or not.

Don't they still have a pretty high number of blue chip recruits even after these transfers? If I recall correctly they haven't been lower than 1 or 2 in the rankings in years. New coach and new schemes (potentially) should help our cause though.

To paraphrase a famous quote - if you have two head coaches you don’t have a head coach.
A la Pruitt/ Fulmer.. yeah, that worked out great 😂.. but weren’t there also a lot of restrictions on what Fulmer could and could not do? But this is Alabama we are talking about here.. not exactly known for being rule followers

I think this will bite their ass!!
Me also.. we actually have recent experience with this scenario… shhhh, don’t tell them 😂 Plus, I would wager that Saban is concerned with Saban’s legacy, not Alabama’s, so it would be a little suspish imo

Reactions: rgvol
I must have missed where Harsin took a team to the national championship game.

They both came from schools in the PNW to schools in Alabama. That’s about where the similarities end. The Gumps may well take a step back: there’s really no way to go but down when you follow a legend (ask Coach Holly and Coach Harper), but Deboer is a good hire. Whether it works out remains to be seen.
This is the sensible response. If Tennessee had made a hire like DeBoer when we hired Heupel, I’d have been ecstatic. Obviously, I’m glad we got Heupel, but let’s not pretend a coach who took a 4-8 program to 11-2 then 14-1 and playing for the NC is somehow the same as hiring Harshin.

We’ll see if Harshin can succeed in the pressure cooker that is Tuscaloosa, but this was as good a hire as could have been made.

I must have missed where Harsin took a team to the national championship game.

They both came from schools in the PNW to schools in Alabama. That’s about where the similarities end. The Gumps may well take a step back: there’s really no way to go but down when you follow a legend (ask Coach Holly and Coach Harper), but Deboer is a good hire. Whether it works out remains to be seen.
I just think you don’t follow Saban unless you are looking for a big buyout in 2-3 years. Maybe this is his retirement plan?

When our rivals are in transition like this - and, therefore, vulnerable - we’ve got to learn how to exploit the opportunity to beat them. We have a bad habit historically of helping our opponents get off to a good start. The examples include recent Florida coaching changes - Muschamp, Dan Mullen, Shark-Humper, and now Napier. We generally just give these guys a big win to get started off right. We don’t step on the bad guy’s neck when we have the chance to set them back.

Admittedly, Alabama is going to remain strong regardless of coaching changes simply because they have a lot of depth and stability simply due to Saban’s amazing and prolonged track record.

Just get better. Play big when it counts. And kick these fools in the teeth. Go Vols!
Accurate. Hell, Saban would’ve had a losing season in Year 1 at Bama, but we let them blow us out. And Tennessee won the East that year. Let Saban upset us Year 1 at LSU too. Let Mark Richt beat us in Knoxville in his first year…when Tennessee was likely the 2nd best team in America that year. No business losing any of those games.

We also let Ron Zook win in Knoxville in 2002 when he shouldn’t have.

Yeah, there’s a history.

VN Store

Back