Anyone worried about Nico...

...trying to run too much next year? I am not THAT concerned, so please don't take this as a "you're overthinking things/ worrying too much" post...but it is a concern.

Will they work some of that out of him in pre-season? He doesn't have near the body of Joe Milton to handle hit after hit. I feel Joe Milton chose his spots (to run) very wisely and then of course there were designed runs. All that is fine. But I do think if Nico continues to try to run as much as he did vs. Iowa, on that frame/body, he'll be out for the season in 7 games. If he is the star we hope he is, I'd like to see him run half as much as he did vs. Iowa.
Nico will be fine if they leave him alone. This man has instincts like we haven't seen before. He'll be teaching the coaches as much as they'll teach him. Let him roll.

I’m a little concerned. Only takes one wrong fall and we’re in trouble. He’s got good instincts and we just have to hope he’s smart about it when he does

Reactions: LittleVol
I don’t mind him running. I just don’t like it when he gets hit. Needs to just learn to run straight into the end zone without taking unnecessary punishment

Reactions: DuckInAPen
How much would it suck if Niko DID come in second in the Heisman...to a defensive player, no less...to James Pearce, Jr.?

Huh?

What then, Vol Nation?

Do I grab my pitchfork, or a bottle of champagne? BOTH?!?!?

Heh.

Go Vols!

Reactions: LittleVol
Not too concerned when he runs, mostly concerned about him not getting rid of the ball in the pocket and taking hits.. I think that will get better with time tho
I am more concerned about him getting hit in the pocket, blindsided, than running. I am not concerned at all about him running.

Reactions: Godfatha
You have to. As much as I love Manning, the offense was different with a good Tee draw.
Yep...And more and more NFL teams are going to QBs that can run. It's just hard as hell to defend and account for. Our defense has proved that over the years, lol

If Nico can stay healthy, he’s our best shot against Georgia. Kirby/Saban defenses really struggle against mobile quarterbacks.

Reactions: Ratvol
Not worried at all about Nico running. His first two TD’s were designed QB runs. He’s a dual threat QB and clearly Heupel expects to use him as such. He will get better at throwing the ball away.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
He has got to learn to throw the ball away rather than taking on 10 tacklers! Added weight is a must for the Sec dual threat quarterback, regardless who it might be.

You change the scheme to prevent an injury and you're guaranteeing an injury. Remember similar threads EVERY SEASON when we had that skinny Dobbs running around back there.

...trying to run too much next year? I am not THAT concerned, so please don't take this as a "you're overthinking things/ worrying too much" post...but it is a concern.

Will they work some of that out of him in pre-season? He doesn't have near the body of Joe Milton to handle hit after hit. I feel Joe Milton chose his spots (to run) very wisely and then of course there were designed runs. All that is fine. But I do think if Nico continues to try to run as much as he did vs. Iowa, on that frame/body, he'll be out for the season in 7 games. If he is the star we hope he is, I'd like to see him run half as much as he did vs. Iowa.
How some of you think Nico needs protection:
1704634324010.jpeg

No. CJH is going to find a way to get Joe another year and only play Nico at the end of 3-4 games. Gotta protect him.
Dude, find some joy in your life! The passive-agressive shot on CJH is simply not necessary, not funny, and doesn't contribute anything other than showing you are a miserable human.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I would worry more about him getting his anticipation better and delivering the ball on time. Should come in the off season.

we could see from the stands at the bowl game, he had plays like Hooker use to get. Those with wide open receivers for bigger gains but he was a tad late seeing it and ended up throwing short.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I grew up with a lot of Samoan kids and I don't recall one of them who I would have worried about not being tough enough.
I'd be more concerned with the fact he hangs with those two Samoans from the Citrus bowl that were sitting with his family. I'm pretty sure those two are eating all Nico's food! Let the boy have a piece of chicken dammit!

Reactions: Hacksaw
Quarterbacks today have an invisible bubble wrap around them, where they can't be hit hard or it's multiple yd penalty and auto 1st down. And most of the quarterback injuries come from the pocket collapsing on them, some big line man falling on their legs.

VN Store

Back