Anyone worried about Nico...

QB's like Manning, Dobbs, Hooker and Tee gave their all and I respect all 4 for that. I'm hoping in the future, Nico will be part of that group of alltime great Vol QB's.

Milton will always be remembered as that QB wo had all the measurables, but lacked that willingness to do what it takes to win.
How do you know he lacked the willingness? Were you there? Do you know him?

Aughh these comments. We can have a duel threat QB and still not have him run like he did vs. Iowa. I think he will end up running less with maturity and knowing when to throw it away.

Lamar Jackson has run the ball an average of 9 times a game this year.
Michael Vick never ran it more than 7.5 times per game in his PRIME in Atlanta. He only ran it about 10 times a game in college.

Nico ran it 15 times vs. Iowa. We don't want or need him running 15 times a game unless we also have a 5 star back-up because he won't last the season...especially on the frame he has now.

Somebody mentioned Jayden Daniels who had 1134 yards rushing. Pretty impressive. But the most he ever ran in a game was 15 times (he did do it 4 times). He was also a Senior. And most games he was around 10 carries.

So NO I don't think we need our 5 Star Redshirt Freshman QB carrying the ball 15-20 times a game. I'm sure the coaches probably want him between 7-10 carries on average.

Aughh these comments. We can have a duel threat QB and still not have him run like he did vs. Iowa. I think he will end up running less with maturity and knowing when to throw it away.

Michael Vick never ran it more than 7.5 times per game in his PRIME in Atlanta. He only ran it about 10 times a game in college.

Nico ran it 15 times vs. Iowa. We don't want or need him running 15 times a game unless we also have a 5 star back-up because he won't last the season...especially on the frame he has now.

Somebody mentioned Jayden Daniels who had 1134 yards rushing. Pretty impressive. But the most he ever ran in a game was 15 times (he did do it 4 times). He was also a Senior. And most games he was around 10 carries.

So NO I don't think we need our 5 Star Redshirt Freshman QB carrying the ball 15-20 times a game. I'm sure the coaches probably want him between 7-10 carries on average.
Don't be misled by the stats, NewDay.

Unlike the pros, in the college game sacks are recorded as QB runs.

Nico didn't really run the ball 15 times vs. Iowa. He ran it 9 times for 51 yards, and was sacked 6 times for -24 yards.

So really, the Iowa game was right in the range you recommend: 7-10 carries a game.

Go Vols!

At least 3 of Nico's 9 runs were not called but due to protection breakdown. Watch "Dobbs4Heisman's" Breakdown...

I’m more worried about the lack of o-line player development and portal misses than Nico running. If they don’t do better in a hurry he will be running for his life.

Reactions: loservol

I'm more concerned about the hits he's gonna take in the pocket vs those he absorbs running the ball. It's the ones you don't see coming that get you hurt.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Don't be misled by the stats, NewDay.

Unlike the pros, in the college game sacks are recorded as QB runs.

Nico didn't really run the ball 15 times vs. Iowa. He ran it 9 times for 51 yards, and was sacked 6 times for -24 yards.

So really, the Iowa game was right in the range you recommend: 7-10 carries a game.

Go Vols!
You are right but maybe that's even worse. Hopefully his college carries (w/sacks) read closer to 10 or less than 15. I think we'll see him throw it away more with time and avoid both sacks and trying to make a play every down. When you think Vick only "carried" the ball about 10 times per game WITH sacks in college...we just don't need Nico doing more than that as a RS Freshman IMO. Definitely don't need him getting sacked 6 times a game...but again some of that may be on him...just not throwing it away. Crazy to say but I think he'll learn to give up on the play a little earlier as he matures more often and live to see another down. Fine line between making something happen which we all want to see...and taking unnecessary hits.

I'm more concerned about the hits he's gonna take in the pocket vs those he absorbs running the ball. It's the ones you don't see coming that get you hurt.

That's a good point. I'd like to see on average 0 sacks (unrealistic), maybe 3 designed runs, and 3-4 QB scrambles trying to make something happen per game. I personally don't want his stat line reading 15 carries every game. I don't think it will end well.

Last edited:
Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back