Army Female recruits can't pass the physical

She understands the COC within our house.

Isn't that more like you understand the COC in the household - or were you married while in the Army? I've always though it interesting how military wives managed the household without appearing to be in charge.

Isn't that more like you understand the COC in the household - or were you married while in the Army? I've always though it interesting how military wives managed the household without appearing to be in charge.

No we waited until after I got out. She probably wouldn’t have married me if I had reenlisted again.

Reactions: AM64
No we waited until after I got out. She probably wouldn’t have married me if I had reenlisted again.

Military wives are interesting examples in character. I remember the times my mother sat through a hurricane alone with us because pilots flew planes to safe places, and times she ran the show alone because my dad was away. She had a way of sitting on my bed and when I was fully awake gently telling me bad news - that someone I knew had been killed or had crashed and they didn't know the status yet - so I wouldn't hear it at school or on the way first - fortunately that didn't happen often. You hear the stories of families of military and police worrying ever day if dad will come home - that was never the case in our house, and I think my mother had a lot to do with that. If she worried, we didn't know.

Military wives are interesting examples in character. I remember the times my mother sat through a hurricane alone with us because pilots flew planes to safe places, and times she ran the show alone because my dad was away. She had a way of sitting on my bed and when I was fully awake gently telling me bad news - that someone I knew had been killed or had crashed and they didn't know the status yet - so I wouldn't hear it at school or on the way first - fortunately that didn't happen often. You hear the stories of families of military and police worrying ever day if dad will come home - that was never the case in our house, and I think my mother had a lot to do with that. If she worried, we didn't know.

I respect the hell out of (most) military wives. The ones at the bars the second their husband was deployed or went to the field not so much. I had some close calls while we were dating/engaged and she made it damn clear that she couldn’t take living a life wondering if I was coming home or not. At least she was honest and gave me a choice.

It was the last choice she gave me......

I respect the hell out of (most) military wives. The ones at the bars the second their husband was deployed or went to the field not so much. I had some close calls while we were dating/engaged and she made it damn clear that she couldn’t take living a life wondering if I was coming home or not. At least she was honest and gave me a choice.

It was the last choice she gave me......

The military is full of more drama than most could ever fathom.

Reactions: VolStrom and AM64
U.S. Army to Allow Women to Wear Ponytails with All Uniforms

US-Army-ponytails-640x480.jpg

(UPI) — The U.S. Army plans to allow the wearing of ponytails by female soldiers, regardless of uniform, U.S. Army Sgt. Maj. Michael Grinston announced.

U.S. Army to Allow Women to Wear Ponytails with All Uniforms

Julia Compton Moore - Wikipedia - in the film We Were Soldiers this part got to me

The military is full of more drama than most could ever fathom.
My cousin said his time in Afghanistan and Kosovo was alarming. Women intentionally getting knocked up to get out of country. Relationship drama worse than you’d see on Big Brother.

Julia Compton Moore - Wikipedia - in the film We Were Soldiers this part got to me

I really enjoyed the movie, and Hal Moore's book We Were Soldiers Once...and Young is probably even better - books can always include detail too time intensive for a movie. A Soldier Once...and Always is about a return to the battlefield and meeting some of the adversaries; it's also good reading. Hal Moore also covers Julia's death from cancer in the second book; I forgot what type, but it was extremely aggressive and she died very quickly after the diagnosis. Thanks to efforts like hers, the military casualty process is so much better, but everyone in a military neighborhood knows what a staff car and people in uniform walking to a front door mean.

I really enjoyed the movie, and Hal Moore's book We Were Soldiers Once...and Young is probably even better - books can always include detail too time intensive for a movie. A Soldier Once...and Always is about a return to the battlefield and meeting some of the adversaries; it's also good reading. Hal Moore also covers Julia's death from cancer in the second book; I forgot what type, but it was extremely aggressive and she died very quickly after the diagnosis. Thanks to efforts like hers, the military casualty process is so much better, but everyone in a military neighborhood knows what a staff car and people in uniform walking to a front door mean.
I have never cried while reading a book until I read We Were Soldiers....

Reactions: hog88 and AM64
I have never cried while reading a book until I read We Were Soldiers....
What was the book like compared to the movie? I've seen movies that were way better than the book and I've read books that were way better than the movie. The movie was pretty good in this case.

What was the book like compared to the movie? I've seen movies that were way better than the book and I've read books that were way better than the movie. The movie was pretty good in this case.
To be honest, I really don't remember which was better. I read it a long time ago. I just remember the part where he described a sergeant (I think) putting a soldier on a helicopter and then breaking down.. Just heart wrenching. God bless all of those guys.

Have you ever been to the memorial in DC?

To be honest, I really don't remember which was better. I read it a long time ago. I just remember the part where he described a sergeant (I think) putting a soldier on a helicopter and then breaking down.. Just heart wrenching. God bless all of those guys.

Have you ever been to the memorial in DC?
No I haven't been to DC since 1969 while my dad was in Vietnam and my mom took us to visit my aunt and uncle. I visited the travelling memorial and it's quite depressing to see the thousands and thousands of names that gave their lives for a stupid war.

No I haven't been to DC since 1969 while my dad was in Vietnam and my mom took us to visit my aunt and uncle. I visited the travelling memorial and it's quite depressing to see the thousands and thousands of names that gave their lives for a stupid war.
It is an AMAZING place. There was one young man killed in VN that was from my hometown. I found his name on the wall. I was very young when he died, but I vaguely remembered him because he worked for my father for a couple of years. It will bring you to tears the farther in you get. It's not 'depressing' in the way you might mean. In a way it makes you proud. But it IS deeply emotional. I don't know why I brought that up. I guess talking about the Ia Drang Valley made me remember that.

The book is 100x better than the movie. IMO the movie was insulting to the book with what was left out and what was added for dramatic effect.

The book was very detailed ... to the extent that chaos can be detailed. You really need to read it with maps showing locations so you can get the context. You can also read it more for an overview to understand the position they found themselves in, and how they made the best of it. It was a very near thing. There was the main battle, the lost platoon, and what was really a second battle. The second battle was fought without Moore's leadership when a unit marching away from the first battle walked into an ambush. There were a lot of casualties in the second battle because cohesion was lost and the leaders had been separated from the troops.

Reactions: hog88
It is an AMAZING place. There was one young man killed in VN that was from my hometown. I found his name on the wall. I was very young when he died, but I vaguely remembered him because he worked for my father for a couple of years. It will bring you to tears the farther in you get. It's not 'depressing' in the way you might mean. In a way it makes you proud. But it IS deeply emotional. I don't know why I brought that up. I guess talking about the Ia Drang Valley made me remember that.

The Wall hits pretty hard even if you aren't trying to find the name of someone you knew - just so many names and so many lives.

The Wall hits pretty hard even if you aren't trying to find the name of someone you knew - just so many names and so many lives.

I wasn't alive during Vietnam but when I went to DC I saw the wall and it makes you take a breath. The Korean War Memorial was also impressive and really hit me because my grandfather who had recently passed away was in Korea during the war. He was also in the South Pacific in World War 2, but the WW2 memorial was not open at the time. Going back to see it is on my bucket list.

Reactions: AM64 and Tastylicks

Yes big time. I was there once looking at it in a beautiful spring day thinking about all those names and how they couldn't enjoy the day like me and it got me emotional.

To my friends' credit they didn't think it was strange that I was tearing up.

VN Store

Back