Assault with a deadly lineman - Meyers' idea of institutional control...

Orange_Crush

Resident windbag genius
Despite firing an AK-47, Florida's Wilson allowed back on the team - Andy Staples - SI.com

"Urban Meyer used the phrase to sell his vision. Florida's players, Meyer said while speaking to the Gators Club in 2005 and 2006, would be "the top one percent of one percent," meaning they would be intelligent, athletically gifted young men with excellent character. When Meyer spoke the words, the old Gators cheered. The phrase even headlined page 1 of the 2006 Florida media guide.

Meyer hasn't uttered those words publicly in a while. That's probably appropriate, considering he has once again issued a practice jersey to Ronnie Wilson..."

UF Lineman kicked out of UF for punching a guy in a bar, then pulling an AK47 on him in a parking lot and firing it in the air.

Well, Meyer just put him back on the team.

The article has a link to the actual 911 call that caught the gunshot in the background.

"If Wilson didn't forfeit his chance to play for the Gators then, he almost certainly did in January, when a Gainesville police dog sniffed something in Wilson's car. An officer removed six grams of marijuana, but Wilson got lucky. The state attorney's office didn't notice Wilson was on probation, so he wasn't immediately thrown in jail. Then, an assistant state attorney dropped the possession charge. A spokesman told The Miami Herald that "constructive possession" is difficult to prove, and the state attorney was under the impression that UF would handle the discipline.

In and of itself, marijuana possession is a minor crime worthy of little more than a glorified parking ticket. But Wilson was on probation. Meyer knew all about that incident, too, and he allowed Wilson back on the team.

Wilson could have played football again, and Meyer could have helped him move on with his career. He could have called another school and vouched for Wilson. Meyer didn't have to undermine any progress he'd made at instilling discipline in his program, which had nine players arrested or cited with -- at least -- misdemeanor charges between winning the national title on Jan. 8, 2007, and last October. By bringing back Wilson, Meyer has sent a dangerous message to his players: break the law and you'll get a slap on the wrist.
"

Not to throw stones, we have had our difficulties too, but this is typical Urban Legend, from Bowling Green on...get his players/playmakers on the field when he needs them regardless. See 06 when he suspended a player (can't remember his name DL I think) before Tenn, then brought him back for Tenn, suspended again after and eventually kicked off team. Again he is not alone in this kind of behavior, but I for one am tired of his squeaky clean image, and never bought in to the line he has fed the gator faithful.

I suppose a bazooka would get you demoted for 2 games (for sure not the Tenn or Geo contests)!

Again he is not alone, but do not pee down my leg and try to convince me it is raining, if you are going to allow this kind of behavior then say it and play it like the old gunslinger Switzer in Oklahoma. He made no bones about his players receiving special treatment because they were players, but he did not try to convince every one they were either choir boys nor "student athletes."

See 06 when he suspended a player (can't remember his name DL I think) before Tenn, then brought him back for Tenn, suspended again after and eventually kicked off team.

It was DT Marcus Thomas suspended for steroid use

...didn't this involve alcohol or team rules too? Did he not have multiple violations, and wasn't he brought back from suspension for the Auburn game which they lost? Just curious.

Not to throw stones, we have had our difficulties too, but this is typical Urban Legend, from Bowling Green on...get his players/playmakers on the field when he needs them regardless. See 06 when he suspended a player (can't remember his name DL I think) before Tenn, then brought him back for Tenn, suspended again after and eventually kicked off team. Again he is not alone in this kind of behavior, but I for one am tired of his squeaky clean image, and never bought in to the line he has fed the gator faithful.

I suppose a bazooka would get you demoted for 2 games (for sure not the Tenn or Geo contests)!

Again he is not alone, but do not pee down my leg and try to convince me it is raining, if you are going to allow this kind of behavior then say it and play it like the old gunslinger Switzer in Oklahoma. He made no bones about his players receiving special treatment because they were players, but he did not try to convince every one they were either choir boys nor "student athletes."

:worship: AMEN!

You're just now realizing Meyer is a dousche? Saban and Meyer are on the same level when it comes to these type of things.

As a Gator fan, I laud the sentiment of giving some of these kids a second chance. I really don't mind it when it comes to something like a simple marijuana charge.

But this guy fired an AK-47, in anger, during a confrontation with a guy he'd had a fight with. That he was driving around with an AK-47 is bad enough. That he fired it in a parking lot is just plain unforgiveable, IMO.

I have to say, I am really pretty disgusted by this.

As a Gator fan, I laud the sentiment of giving some of these kids a second chance. I really don't mind it when it comes to something like a simple marijuana charge.

But this guy fired an AK-47, in anger, during a confrontation with a guy he'd had a fight with. That he was driving around with an AK-47 is bad enough. That he fired it in a parking lot is just plain unforgiveable, IMO.

I have to say, I am really pretty disgusted by this.

Didn't he also get caught with a few pounds of Marijuana in his car after that, but was released from those charges some how? Apparently this guy is a real thug. Why would Meyer give this punk another chance unless he really don't care about anything other than winning. He doesn't have the depth at that position and needs this guy regardless of what kind of message it sends to his players. What else could it be? Anxious to hear your take on this one......:popcorn:

Didn't he also get caught with a few pounds of Marijuana in his car after that, but was released from those charges some how? Apparently this guy is a real thug. Why would Meyer give this punk another chance unless he really don't care about anything other than winning. He doesn't have the depth at that position and needs this guy regardless of what kind of message it sends to his players. What else could it be? Anxious to hear your take on this one......:popcorn:

I think it was more like a few ounces. People found with pounds of marijuana generally don't fall through the cracks, as he evidently did. The linked story above discusses it.

I don't know exaclty where the line is between when you give a kid a second chance and when you just have to cut your losses and stand by your principles.

But wherever that line is, I think firing an AK-47 you retrieve from your car is on the other side of it.

I think it was more like a few ounces. People found with pounds of marijuana generally don't fall through the cracks, as he evidently did. The linked story above discusses it.

I don't know exaclty where the line is between when you give a kid a second chance and when you just have to cut your losses and stand by your principles.

But wherever that line is, I think firing an AK-47 you retrieve from your car is on the other side of it.

I would prefer it if these discussions were more about the actual offense(s) (what is and is not actually forgivable) rather than the head coaches of the respective football program.

This case is particularly egregious, but frankly speaking UT fans shouldn't give a damn about it. Afterall he wasn't pointing the gun at our players.

If we want to prove that Urban is a fraud we should beat the living crap out of him on the football field.

I would prefer it if these discussions were more about the actual offense(s) (what is and is not actually forgivable) rather than the head coaches of the respective football program.

This case is particularly egregious, but frankly speaking UT fans shouldn't give a damn about it. Afterall he wasn't pointing the gun at our players.

If we want to prove that Urban is a fraud we should beat the living crap out of him on the football field.

I agree, but unfortunately thats difficult. The guy is a smart coach, but he has talent and a win at all cost mentality. Thats tough to overcome.

At the end of the day I don't think I would call him a fraud because he's a good coach. However, he is definitely showing a trend of turning a blind eye to character issues in his pursuit for wins... not sure what that makes him at the end of the day other than an a-hole(?).

I think the article said 6 ounces or 6 grams or something like that.

He is a fraud, as the article points out. He promised the top 1% of 1%, remember?

Meyer showed up on UF campus making more promises about discipline than he did about wins and losses. His actions are proving that he is/was a liar.

I agree, but unfortunately thats difficult. The guy is a smart coach, but he has talent and a win at all cost mentality. Thats tough to overcome.

At the end of the day I don't think I would call him a fraud because he's a good coach. However, he is definitely showing a trend of turning a blind eye to character issues in his pursuit for wins... not sure what that makes him at the end of the day other than an a-hole(?).

That is really my point as well. There is absolutely no sense in defining a head coach by his player suspensions, or his disciplinary measures. Unless the NCAA starts handing out punishments to "said headcoach" for cheating, coaches should be judged on the accomplishments of their team.

I'm not going to stop being a fan of the team, or even of Meyer. Not like I get a vote in this situation. But I am not happy about it at all. Its more of a shaking my head at the fact that we've joined the ranks of the Crimi-Noles in overlooking stuff like this.

As I've said here for several years, gun-related offenses are a whole 'nother category when it comes to these kids. I can live with a minor pot charge or incident. I cannot be quiet when its firing a gun.

I wanted the players that accidentally fired a rifle in an apartment complex seriously considered for being booted off the team. For actually firing an assault rifle? I'm sorry, it's just not even close, and it's not debatable. He should not be back on the team. I guess he's just on the practice squad now and may not ever take the field for us again. This might just be an option so he can keep his scholarship and try to make something of himself. But if he does take the field in a game, I'm more than a little ashamed of it.

That is really my point as well. There is absolutely no sense in defining a head coach by his player suspensions, or his disciplinary measures. Unless the NCAA starts handing out punishments to "said headcoach" for cheating, coaches should be judged on the accomplishments of their team.

Just playing "Devil's Advocate" here but wouldn't shooting an assault rifle be one of the team members accomplishments?:)

Should Barry Bonds be judged by how many home runs...or Roger Clemens by number of wins? :nono:

Coaches are paid millions for having more W's than L's.

It becomes an easy choice for a coach to go light on discipline if it supports his livelihood.

But, as we have witnessed at UT from 99-05, once you lose discipline on a team it's very difficult to get it back.

I couldn't care less how Meyer disciplines his team. That's his business.

On a side note, who in the hell rides around town with an AK-47 in their car? If I was a betting man, I'd wager that this young man hasn't fractured his last law.

I couldn't care less how Meyer disciplines his team. That's his business.

On a side note, who in the hell rides around town with an AK-47 in their car? If I was a betting man, I'd wager that this young man hasn't fractured his last law.

I agree 1000 percent.

That's why I put the gun-related offense in a different category, character-wise. If you are willing to have one of those in your car and lose control and are willing to fire it during some sort of confrontation, my guess is you are willing to do a lot worse.

Can you imagine what will happen if this guy gets in a fight in Gainesville and seriously hurts or kills someone? The criticism of Meyer -- deseved IMO -- would be heavy and relentless.

I agree 1000 percent.

That's why I put the gun-related offense in a different category, character-wise. If you are willing to have one of those in your car and lose control and are willing to fire it during some sort of confrontation, my guess is you are willing to do a lot worse.

Can you imagine what will happen if this guy gets in a fight in Gainesville and seriously hurts or kills someone? The criticism of Meyer -- deseved IMO -- would be heavy and relentless.

Can you imagine what will happen if this guy catches a player from another team, and/or offical with their heads turned?:eek:k:

Should Barry Bonds be judged by how many home runs...or Roger Clemens by number of wins? :nono:

Absolutely. Why? Because we have no idea how many of those homeruns came against juiced pitchers, and how many strikeouts came against juiced hitters.

AK-47 must be the weapon of choice on the Gainesville campus...

Sports: Ex-Gator CB part of gun probe

According to Kameg's statements, a witness told police he saw (Dee) Webb and three other men walking near the apartments after he heard a few shots and that Webb appeared to be carrying a small gun case. Police confiscated an AR-15 rifle and an AK-47 rifle from Webb's apartment as part of the investigation.

VN Store

Back