At Oregon

We need a full stadium every game this year to send a message to the nation, we are hungry for wins.

I was looking at Oregon's capacity and saw where they only seat 52,000 people. I think this might be an advantage as we hold almost twice as much as them. However, their crowd noise is very, very loud.

It's kinda surprising that the co-founders of Nike both graduated from there and how their stadium is relatively small compared to others. I did not know that they have two very, very rich donors and yet their stadium is pretty small.

Just wanted to see what everyone else thought on their crowd noise being a factor during the game. I'll hang up and listen...

Autzen is small relative to typical SEC and Big-10 stadiums. I believe your capacity number is slightly off. Capacity is listed at 54,000 and I believe it they average 106% of capacity with standing room only.

In lists of top 10 loudest college football stadiums, Autzen makes most of those lists. So large capacity doesn't always equal loud noise levels.

The reason why I asked is because I watched our training facilities video and proceeded to watch what other teams have got - I was impressed with ours the most.

I saw the Oregon one and they don't have anything that compares with ours and Georgia's was more technological than physically functional like ours.

However, at Oregon,they showed the Nike co-founders box and it was pimp as it should be.

I'm curious which Oregon training facilities you were looking at, do you have a link. Would like to see a link for Tenn as well.

Still not sure how a dinky stadium can be so loud!

:) Some say its acoustics, they might be right. When Michigan came into Autzen a few years ago they left saying they'd never been in a stadium that loud and that they couldn't get the "ringing" out of their ears for some time after the game.

I would recommend ear plugs.

I think the noise level is a combination of a few things, the stadium sits in a hole in the ground, the fans are quite close to the field, the bowl shape combined with the roof keep the sound in, ALL fans are involved in the game, not just the students.

Plus the fans are pretty smart about WHEN to be loud. One opposing coach said that when Oregon has the ball you could hear a pin drop.

I've seen opposing teams on more than one occasion get three procedure penalties in a row because they couldn't hear the QB. One time the ASU QB turned around and flipped the single digit salute to the crowd.

:) Some say its acoustics, they might be right. When Michigan came into Autzen a few years ago they left saying they'd never been in a stadium that loud and that they couldn't get the "ringing" out of their ears for some time after the game.

I would recommend ear plugs.

I think the noise level is a combination of a few things, the stadium sits in a hole in the ground, the fans are quite close to the field, the bowl shape combined with the roof keep the sound in, ALL fans are involved in the game, not just the students.

Plus the fans are pretty smart about WHEN to be loud. One opposing coach said that when Oregon has the ball you could hear a pin drop.

I've seen opposing teams on more than one occasion get three procedure penalties in a row because they couldn't hear the QB. One time the ASU QB turned around and flipped the single digit salute to the crowd.

Roof?

I lived in Portland in the nineties. The stadium is built strait up, not out, and when you are on the field it's like being in a black hole with the whole universe collapsing around you. The noise is deafening, and the crowd looks like its falling in on you, which is VERY intimidating.

We have zero advantage in that stadium. UT fans will be outnumbered and the acoustics of the stadium make it sound like the capacity is 132,000.

You're kind, it's not that loud. Just a nice home field advantage. Nothing more....... :)

Vols need to go into this game with feeling relaxed; we're not expected to win, so we can go out loose and just have fun making big play after big play.

The Ducks are going with the uptight, I hope we don't blow it mentality.

I say we end our bad streak of L's on the west coast. I personally witnessed the UCLA and Cal losses. Brutal.

I have always liked Oregon [except when we play them]. They used to always be the late game available in the east so watched many of their games till past midnight.

I have always liked Oregon [except when we play them]. They used to always be the late game available in the east so watched many of their games till past midnight.

Cool.

Tenn was a client of mine before I retired. We managed money for the Univ Tenn Foundation. Always liked Tenn, good people.

Reactions: 1 person
I've always enjoyed watching Oregon play. I root for them especially hard every year against USC

I've always enjoyed watching Oregon play. I root for them especially hard every year against USC

Ducks seem to drive USC nuts, given that we have a winning record against them over the last 20 years.

VN Store

Back