At what point do you expect the $8,000,000 man play up to his compensation level?

I wondered when someone was going to spew this nonsense. No, it's not remotely the same as professional sports in regards to expected performance. Sorry, you're wrong about it
I think you’re a little wrong about it also. The argument was always “the university is making millions off of them, they should earn money”. Now they do. With that, expectations will follow. That’s what happens when you attach paychecks to things. I understand a lot of this money is from meets, clothing, advertising, etc, but that isn’t how the majority will see it. He is now paid, and a lot if that money comes from donating fans, so of course there will be expectations. Anytime you spend money on something that happens. I don’t like it, but it’s what we live in now.

I think you’re a little wrong about it also. The argument was always “the university is making millions off of them, they should earn money”. Now they do. With that, expectations will follow. That’s what happens when you attach paychecks to things. I understand a lot of this money is from meets, clothing, advertising, etc, but that isn’t how the majority will see it. He is now paid, and a lot if that money comes from donating fans, so of course there will be expectations. Anytime you spend money on something that happens. I don’t like it, but it’s what we live in now.
I get that side of it, which is why I expected someone to slide that opinion in at some point. Still doesn't change the facts about reasonable expectations as to actual performance. There is a lot of nuance with it, but some have no interest in understanding it

Reactions: EastTNVol6240
Imagine hiring a builder (Nico) to build your home. He’s somewhat new, he’s built some nice sheds (high school) but he’s really inexperienced building homes (college), and he has a lot to learn but you pay him top dollar anyway while he learns through his many mistakes.

Reactions: volfeeva
"Hes a kid."
"Hes a Redshirt Freshman."
"He's only played 7 games."

All of that is fine and good.however, the money drastically changes expectations. This is now a professional sport.
You know some of our fans are irrational fools. What part of him being paid makes him a better player all of the sudden? The NIL deal he got was intentionally leaked to help the program recruit better; it also put a target on this kids back for the absolute dumbest portion of our fanbase.

he could be getting 16 million but the money is not going to make him play any better. Only time playing and experience will do that. It takes time. He has had three SEC games and any improvement is miniscule so far but that is just how it works. People giving money and expecting Pat Mahomes execution, well they are going to be disappointed for a long time.

Imagine hiring a builder (Nico) to build your home. He’s somewhat new, he’s built some nice sheds (high school) but he’s really inexperienced building homes (college), and he has a lot to learn but you pay him top dollar anyway while he learns through his many mistakes.
Why would anyone try to imagine that? It's not remotely the same thing

Is Nico's, or anyone else's NIL money guaranteed? If he indeed got 8 million simolians shouldn't there be a performance clause?

Imagine thinking this is a good analogy.

Nico hasn't met fan expectations, but he's already produced a positive ROI by boosting our recruiting efforts and allowing Danny White to get away with raising ticket prices. The hype around the program hasn't been this high since the 90s. PLUS, we're 5-1.

Is Nico's, or anyone else's NIL money guaranteed? If he indeed got 8 million simolians shouldn't there be a performance clause?
Can’t be performance based.

Spyre basically paid for the rights to market his Name, Image, and Likeness. Basically a marketing deal. If you tie pay to where or how you play it’s paying for play which is illegal still I believe.

Some of the money is tied to appearances as part of the marketing. We mayyyy have had a kid not even show up to fulfill that part in the past and I’m not sure how they handled that. You have certain things that you have to fulfill but none of them are tied to performance on the football field.

Last edited:
Those lists are complete BS. No one knows what the kid is making except his family and Spyre.

I could be wrong but I don't think those lists are reflecting real dollars. They are just evaluating players and stating a value. I do think they are BS regardless of what they are trying to say.

Manning didn't struggle his rookie year because of his OL. He's often talked about the speed difference and the hard work needed to adjust to it. He threw 20+ INTS his rookie season. That dropped exponentially in his 2nd year
Manning also threw about 23 interceptions his last 2 years at Tennessee. Way to many!!

Nico's compensation is up to the people who are paying him, but frankly, if they thought he was worth the money before I'd think them damn fools to pull out of the deal now. He was always going to be a freshman. And he shows a lot of skill for a redshirt freshman with 6 games under the ol' belt. If the OL wasn't a house of cards right now, he'd be looking a lot better. Funny, that's true for most quarterbacks.

Between this and the thread suggesting a 'board of directors' including fans (!) to help coach the team, this board has officially jumped the shark.

It used to be fun coming on here and talking ball, but it has turned into a depressing mix of the angry and the absurd.

VN Store

Back