Atlanta Braves Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say this... Watching Simmons play D is almost weird. He's got such range that he hardly ever has to actually strain himself to make a play. He'll have to dive, sure, but he's never really stretched out, flailing because he's just already there. And he's so fundamentally sound on routine stuff that he looks almost stiff/robotic. It's just different than almost anybody.

Ah yes, or his DUI shouldn't be a crime stance.

Every philosophical libertarian (of which I am one) goes through a college-sophomore type period where s/he holds a bunch of positions like that. E.g., the drinking and driving isn't the crime, it's the harming of other people, and it's wrong to punish the first until the second happens. Or any age of consent is necessarily arbitrary, and therefore any law establishing one is wrong. I have no idea how old TRUT is, but for most of us, those dorm-room beliefs eventually run right smack into the real world, and the real world wins. Not for him.

Every philosophical libertarian (of which I am one) goes through a college-sophomore type period where s/he holds a bunch of positions like that. E.g., the drinking and driving isn't the crime, it's the harming of other people, and it's wrong to punish the first until the second happens. Or any age of consent is necessarily arbitrary, and therefore any law establishing one is wrong. I have no idea how old TRUT is, but for most of us, those dorm-room beliefs eventually run right smack into the real world, and the real world wins. Not for him.

You're exactly right.

This post deserved a footnote somewhere along the way. You're slipping, Verc.

I'll say this... Watching Simmons play D is almost weird. He's got such range that he hardly ever has to actually strain himself to make a play. He'll have to dive, sure, but he's never really stretched out, flailing because he's just already there. And he's so fundamentally sound on routine stuff that he looks almost stiff/robotic. It's just different than almost anybody.

Highlights notwithstanding, Ozzie Smith almost never had to dive to make a play either. Almost every play he made looked routine. Not claiming that Simmons is as good as Ozzie or anything, but he's at least up towards that top tier.

Meanwhile Derek Jeter has to dive for anything hit eight feet to either side and wins a bunch of Gold Gloves doing it.

Nailed

Yeah like Simmons' jump throw on a ball to his right is never going to become a thing because... he doesn't even have to backhand it, really.

The overall annoyance of Jeter being overrated sometimes makes him underrated, but he isn't good defensively.

Startin to believe I want Juan AND Jblaze. Send reed outwards. Gattis vs laird is a tough one and definitely settled in on Beachy for Teheran

Why is the world would they make Heyward's first rehab game against a knuckleballer??

This post deserved a footnote somewhere along the way. You're slipping, Verc.

Ha -- I actually meant to put a footnote in there saying that that, while I think DUI obviously ought to be a crime, the whole .08 thing that the federal government rammed down the states' throats is idiocy. Mothers Against Drunk Driving got literally [1] everything they originally wanted, but a big special interest group can't just declare victory and shut down. So they decided that .10 wasn't enough, and it needed to be .08. Then they got .08 everywhere, so now they want all new cars to have a thing where you have to breathe into them to start the engine. It never stops. Even the original founder of MADD left in disgust.

[1] (in the actual meaning of the word "literally," not merely the modern meaning of "really, for emphasis"

31014269.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back