Atlanta Braves Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got you. I just found Verc's snide comment about me always using cliches to be hilarious because it was totally out of left field and I wasn't even part of the conversation at the time.

WHY SO SERIOUS, MAN? IT'S JUST THE INTERNET! DON'T TELL ME YOU GOT YOUR FEELINGS HURT! Isn't that what you always say when someone calls you out for being an ass?

Reactions: 2 people
Good thing that's not the point I'm trying to make. My point is that people that don't have a lot of actual experience playing the game are married to stats and stats alone a la Verc.

I know you mods sometimes feel the need to stick up for each other but come on. You clearly missed my point.

So it's definitely fair to say that people who have played the game at more than a high school level have an inflated view of their personal knowledge of whatever game they have played and think that people who actually like to bring some facts and stats into discussion that would disagree with them just belittle their opinion because "they didn't play the game at a high level".

That's how it works, right?

So it's definitely fair to say that people who have played the game at more than a high school level have an inflated view of their personal knowledge of whatever game they have played and think that people who actually like to bring some facts and stats into discussion that would disagree with them just belittle their opinion because "they didn't play the game at a high level".

"Ninety-five percent of them probably never played football before, or maybe not played a sport. I don’t know. I can’t tell you all that."

phillip-fulmer_display_image.jpg

You're doing the exact same thing you're complaining about. Irony and sweeping generalizations are fun.

Unless you enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing, I think it's fair to assume you have officially been trolled by someone who does.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't have any experience with SB Nation outside of the grizzlies and braves affiliates.. But what a joke. Do people actually read that useless, generic drivel?

I don't have any experience with SB Nation outside of the grizzlies and braves affiliates.. But what a joke. Do people actually read that useless, generic drivel?

Oddly enough I feel like I follow ~ 1000 of their folks on Twitter but never really visit the site too often. Haven't ever read much of it.

a la hines.

Not equating or comparing the two.

Not even really commenting on the pros/cons/relevance of arguing stats/cliches/eyes/numbers/experience.

The funny thing is that I am by no means a stats-only guy like Hines. I don't completely trust a lot of the second- and third-generation advanced stats that the kids these days throw around. I'm willing to let "I trust what Frank Wren and the scouts/coaches who watch these players every day" be an important factor in my thinking about various moves, e.g. the Vizcaino trade. I phrase lots of my arguments about strategy like, "If this were a computer simulation, I would __________, but in real life....." because I know that these are flesh and blood people and there's a whole lot going on that stats can't capture. Advanced stats are a useful tool but that's all they are. If you don't recognize the limits of their usefulness, then you find yourself arguing things like "Marvin Williams is one of the 50 best players in basketball" like Hines.

Congratulations on playing community college baseball, or whatever the heck it was. Joe Morgan and Tim McCarver each played 20 years in the major leagues and that didn't keep either of them from being blind idiots when talking about the game. Your lengthy experience at the bottom end of an almost relevant level of the sport doesn't seem to have given you any particular insight either.

LOL. What was that about letting the butthurt flow through you again?

:eek:lol:

I frequent a few SB Nation sites and can say that for the most part they vary from a step above Bleacher Report to a step below legit sports news sites. It just depends on who contributes and the demand from readers imo.

The funny thing is that I am by no means a stats-only guy like Hines. I don't completely trust a lot of the second- and third-generation advanced stats that the kids these days throw around. I'm willing to let "I trust what Frank Wren and the scouts/coaches who watch these players every day" be an important factor in my thinking about various moves, e.g. the Vizcaino trade. I phrase lots of my arguments about strategy like, "If this were a computer simulation, I would __________, but in real life....." because I know that these are flesh and blood people and there's a whole lot going on that stats can't capture. Advanced stats are a useful tool but that's all they are. If you don't recognize the limits of their usefulness, then you find yourself arguing things like "Marvin Williams is one of the 50 best players in basketball" like Hines.

I trust advanced stats in baseball a lot more than I do in basketball because it's just you vs. the pitcher in baseball.

WHY SO SERIOUS, MAN? IT'S JUST THE INTERNET! DON'T TELL ME YOU GOT YOUR FEELINGS HURT! Isn't that what you always say when someone calls you out for being an ass?

I say it because it's true. Your comment amused me. It did not bother me one bit. Doesn't mean I'm not going to come back at you.

Not really. In addition to playing in college I played easily 90-100 games per summer with some of the best coaches in the Cincinnati era that at the time had more experience at the big league level than years of my life.

Give me a break. Verc always jumps at the chance to invoke stats as the end all be all while at the same time completely ignoring all other factors.

Jeez man. Take it easy.

The individual team affiliates are hit and miss. The Atlanta Hawks site, for example, is the only best source of Hawks information and discussion anywhere that I know of, while I don't bother with their Caps or Falcons sites because they're crap. The Rocky Top Talk guys do a good job. All the top-level stuff is, indeed, useless crap.

Agree almost whole-heartedly here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back