Bama, Georgia and everyone else.

What a game.

Georgia wins this game by a larger margin in Athens.

We are now seeing the best at this point in the season of GA and Bama, and I haven’t seen a team that can hang with this.

Either way, same ole same ole.

I think this is what we expected,

Albeit, when you consider what we have seen so far, the margin is smaller.

I expect to see more separation between these two from the rest of the pack as well as between the tier 2 teams to create a 5th tier.

I think TX will either join Bama and Georgia, or join some teams in tier 2 that separate themselves from the rest.

As of now, I think you have to put a lot of teams in tier 2.

Tier 1 = Bama, Georgia

Tier 2 = LSU, SC, KY, Ole Miss, Tennessee, TX

Tier 3 = TA&M, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Florida, Vanderbilt, Missouri

Tier 4 = Miss St, Auburn

Tennessee has a heck of a challenge ahead of itself.. I think we have been a little high on ourselves considering the stats we have put up and the competition we have faced so far.

Tennessee has to get a LOT better. I also think this bye week, while early, came at a very good time.

If we stay healthy and get better… who knows? But as of now, it seems we may be a big step away from beating GA or Alabama.
Although we are building depth we still don't have the depth that Bama & UGA have relative to 4-5 star talent. Either one of those teams can put points on the board quickly. Win the turnover battle, sustain drives, control the clock and keep their defense on the field. GA got smoked in the first half then came roaring back in the second half. If not for that last second INT by Bama they could have won that game. We need to get a lot better.

There's a difference between seeing a great football team and a great football game. We saw a great football game, but both football teams have a lot to get better at and both have holes(Just like the Vols) to fill before we can say they are great football team.There is no clear #1 team in the nation that is by far the favorite to win it as of yet imo.

Tennessee, Texas, Ohio St, Georgia and Alabama seem to be tier #1 atm until the season plays out. Any of these could win it all at this point, we need more data, but from what I've seen they all need to improve in various areas. Should be an interesting year

Last edited:
If we get in a defensive struggle like Oklahoma with either of these teams it could be trouble. If it is like tonight and a shootout, I like our chances with Heupel calling plays. I still think if we had to we could have boatraced Oklahoma but Heupel didn’t want to chance it with Nico getting hurt or rattled with our tackles being out and defense playing so good. But if our defense wasn’t playing so good Heupel would have rolled the dice more.

Although we are building depth we still don't have the depth that Bama & UGA have relative to 4-5 star talent. Either one of those teams can put points on the board quickly. Win the turnover battle, sustain drives, control the clock and keep their defense on the field. GA got smoked in the first half then came roaring back in the second half. If not for that last second INT by Bama they could have won that game. We need to get a lot better.
I disagree. We beat a clearly more talented Bama team in ‘22 and we had them beat last year for a half until second half officiating steered the game. We can beat Bama, and UGA looks more vulnerable this year than they have in the last several.

Not saying they are guaranteed wins, but we are good enough now to at least split, if not win both.

Don’t agree with your take. Even you want to drop Tennessee (for now) to tier 2, we are certainly a tier above KY, Ole Miss, SC (really?) & LSU. Having us (at this time) in the same tier is not justified.
Also, no reason AL or UGA should be considered a tier above TX.
Not ready to put TX in the same category as UGA & Bama, they struggled with Miss State (probably the worst team in the SEC this year) until late. They do have 2 good QBs but until they beat both UGA & Bama this year I'm not convinced. The SEC is a gauntlet, they're not in the BIG12 anymore.

There's a difference between seeing a great football team and a great football game. We saw a great football game, but both football teams have a lot to get better at and both have holes(Just like the Vols) to fill before we can say they are great football team.There is no clear #1 team in the nation that is by far the favorite to win it as of yet imo.

Tennessee, Texas, Ohio St, Georgia and Alabama seem to be tier #1 atm until the season plays out. Any of these could win it all at this point, we need more data, but from what I've seen they all need to improve in various areas. Should be an interesting year
I agree with the exception of Ohio State, until they beat a high ranked team they're not in the top 5; they play cupcakes.

Reactions: HighRockvol
I've seen us beat an overrated Oklahoma team, that's about it. We're not tier one, yet.

You think we allow back to back bombs in the final 2 minutes like those two fraudulent teams did tonight? Our defense is better than them.

We're playing like the Alabama and Georgia of old. We are the team with the #1 defense. While these two teams look vulnerable defensively.

Vols will beat them both this year.

As mentioned before…this thread is one of the WORST examples of BVS (Battered VOLS Syndrome)/Inferiority Complexes that I’ve EVER read on here!

Neither one of those two Teams possess the amount of “weapons” that Tennessee lines up with.

Neither one of those Teams has as healthy of a mindset/culture in the Locker room that Tennessee has nurtured.

And…I DON’T feel that Alabama or Georgia possess Tennessee’s level of Offensive Scheme or Defensive Depth and Coaching (specifically in the Front Seven on D).

Best part about it is…we will ALL get to see over the next 6 weeks!

I CAN’T WAIT…and it’s been a LONG TIME since I’ve FELT such Confidence going INTO these weeks!

*steps off soap box

Last edited:
I walked away less impressed with both teams tbh. I'm not saying we will win those games but I for sure feel better about our chances. It wasn't sound football in all 3 phases.

Exactly. This looked nothing like a vintage Georgia/Alabama game. It looked like a Big 12 game. Uneducated fans were entertained by it. But real football heads know that was bad defensive football on display tonight moreso than great offensive football.

I'm now more confident we're beating Alabama and Georgia this year cause they're no longer the dominant defensive teams they've been in the past while we look more stout on defense. Our defense will not make the mistakes Georgia and Alabama did tonight.

Reactions: HighRockvol
Although we are building depth we still don't have the depth that Bama & UGA have relative to 4-5 star talent.

By that same token Oklahoma has more 4 and 5 star talent than us too. How did that work out for them last week?

Stop looking at recruiting rankings and use your eyes. Our team looks more athletic and is deeper than either Alabama or Georgia. Just like we wiped the floor with the supposedly more talented roster of Oklahoma.

Reactions: fefe
If we get in a defensive struggle like Oklahoma with either of these teams it could be trouble. If it is like tonight and a shootout, I like our chances with Heupel calling plays.

Huh? Why would we be in trouble in a defensive slugfest when that's what we're built for this season? Our defense is better than both Alabama and Georgia. Especially when it comes to depth along the defensive line. So in a defensive struggle our guys will be fresher in the fourth quarter while they'll be gassed.

We're built to win either defensive struggles or shootouts. It's why we're the best team in the country.

Huh? Why would we be in trouble in a defensive slugfest when that's what we're built for this season? Our defense is better than both Alabama and Georgia. Especially when it comes to depth along the defensive line. So in a defensive struggle our guys will be fresher in the fourth quarter while they'll be gassed.

We're built to win either defensive struggles or shootouts. It's why we're the best team in the country.
Which juggernaut offense have we faced to make that conclusion about our defense? I feel confident about our defense but there is still the possibility it could be fools gold.

Reactions: TrojanVolFromOC
Which juggernaut offense have we faced to make that conclusion about our defense?

Barely anyone has played juggernaut offenses or as we saw tonight did anything to slow them down. So in a world of playing nobodies we're the #1 defense cause we've been the most dominant. Dominance like that usually translates. Plus if you got eyes you should be able to see that we're loaded on that side of the ball with elite talent.

We're the team built like the Alabama and Georgia of old while those two teams look like Big 12 defenses.

Georgia looked like a team that had never played football on either side of the ball in the first half. Alabama looked equally bad in the second half. Georgia couldn't defend anything wide. They left huge gaps in the zone with wide open Alabama WR running 15 yards down the field and sitting in a 10 yard circle with no defender around them. Their OL got smacked around by Bama's DL, which isn't as good as ours.

Reactions: feathersax
If anything this game and the kentucky gave me more confidence in us beating georgia this season.

Georgia's offensive line is suspect, got whooped in both games and we have a better and deeper defensive front than kentucky/Ala

Reactions: feathersax
I don't get the "we haven't played anyone" opinions. There are only 3 teams in the entire FBS that are 2-0 against top 25 teams. And the Vols are the only one of those 3 who is undefeated.
Vols 4-0 / 2-0 top 25
Notre Dame 3-1 / 2-0 top 25
Kansas Sr 3-1 / 2-0 top 25

Biggest wins of undefeated top 11 teams
Texas 31-12 @ Michigan (10)
Ohio St 38-7 @ Michigan St (unranked)
Tennessee 25-15 @ Oklahoma (15)
Alabama 41-34 vs Georgia (2)
Miami 41-17 @ Florida (unranked)
Oregon 37-34 vs Boise St (unranked)
Penn St 21-7 vs Illinois (19)
Missouri 27-21 vs Boston College (24)

Order of best wins:
Alabama
Texas
Tennessee
Penn St
Missouri
The other 3 "haven't played anyone yet"

Not only does Tennessee have the 3rd best win of an undefeated team this season. They are the only undefeated team with 2 wins against top 25. Sounds more like an argument could be made the Vols have played more anyone's than anyone else.

Ranking the undefeated teams on best wins and total wins against top 25:
1. Bama (2)
2. TX (10)
3. Vols (15) & (24)
4. Penn St (19)
5. Missouri (24)

It's Ohio St, Miami and Oregon (did beat Boise St who is now ranked 25) that truly haven't played anyone yet.

Reactions: strongj81 and Dro
As mentioned before…this thread is one of the WORST examples of BVS (Battered VOLS Syndrome/Inferiority Complexes that I’ve EVER read on here!

Neither one of those two Teams possess the amount of “weapons” that Tennessee lines up with.

Neither one of those Teams has as healthy of a mindset/culture in the Locker room that Tennessee has nurtured.

And…I DON’T feel that Alabama or Georgia possess Tennessee’s level of Offensive Scheme or Defensive Depth and Coaching (specifically if the Front Seven on D).

Best part about it is…we will ALL get to see over the next 6 weeks!

I CAN’T WAIT…and it’s been a LONG TIME since I’ve FELT such Confidence going INTO these weeks!

*steps off soap box

How exactly do you know the mindset and culture of Bama’s, GA’s, or even TN’s locker room, and how would you know which are healthy and which are not. I’m pretty skeptical with your take on locker room culture, I mean are you just guessing? Are you just stating that it is this way because you want it to be this way?

How exactly do you know the mindset and culture of Bama’s, GA’s, or even TN’s locker room, and how would you know which are healthy and which are not. I’m pretty skeptical with your take on locker room culture, I mean are you just guessing? Are you just stating that it is this way because you want it to be this way?
I'm skeptical that you know how to tie your shoes,

Meanwhile, if you don't think Georgia's numerous scrapes with the Law constitute an unhealthy Culture...or if YOU don't think there will be MULTIPLE transfers OUT of Bama at the end of the Season (*mark my words) ...then I doubt you spent much time in locker rooms/on team sports...Sport!

Reactions: praxite33

VN Store

Back