Banned Book Thread

No books should be banned. If a parent doesn't want their kids reading a book don't let them check it out.

It's really ignorant to ban books these days, kids will just read it on anyone of their multiple electronic devices anyway. Making a stink about a book probably just brings it to the kids attention.

No books should be banned. If a parent doesn't want their kids reading a book don't let them check it out.

It's really ignorant to ban books these days, kids will just read it on anyone of their multiple electronic devices anyway. Making a stink about a book probably just brings it to the kids attention.

Unless it is downloadable in TikTok form, I doubt this rings true.

Hmmmm... how would you feel about your kids watching A Clockwork Orange in high school?

When I was a kid one Sunday the sermon at church was about Marilyn Manson. The preacher said his music was about all these terrible things, he might be a Satanist, he looked like a woman, and he supposedly was really popular among kids and teenagers.

I had never heard of him at that point and had no idea who he was, but my interest was piqued. I had to see how weird this dude was. As soon as we got home after church I got on Napster and downloaded the entire Mechanical Animals album, which had just been released. I ended up not even liking it and deleted the songs so I didn't get in trouble, but I would not even have known what it was if it wasn't for our preacher.

I'm not sure why people don't understand this. If you go to a group of people, especially kids who are much more naturally curious than adults, and say "This is bad, don't don't read it" it makes it way more likely they'll read it.

Hmmmm... how would you feel about your kids watching A Clockwork Orange in high school?

In school or at home? It would be inappropriate at school since the movie has no educational value and it goes way beyond nudity. My kids would have paid attention to it for maybe 10 minutes if I had it on at home, it's that bad of a movie.

I'm not sure why people don't understand this. If you go to a group of people, especially kids who are much more naturally curious than adults, and say "This is bad, don't don't read it" it makes it way more likely they'll read it.

Most of these kids have a device in their pockets that gives them access to more information than was found in the library of Alexandria with just a press of a button. I bet a Google search map is going to reveal an increase in searches for MAUS in that region, and more kids will read it than would have been assigned it this term.

When I was a kid one Sunday the sermon at church was about Marilyn Manson. He said his music was about all these terrible things, he might be a Satanist, he looked like a woman, and he supposedly was really popular among kids and teenagers.

I had never heard of him at that point and had no idea who he was, but my interest was piqued. I had to see how weird this dude was. As soon as we got home after church I got on Napster and downloaded the entire Mechanical Animals album, which had just been released. I ended up not even liking it and deleted the songs so I didn't get in trouble, but I would not even have known what it was if it wasn't for our preacher.

that's why some kids are figuring out (especially in college) that being a conservative is to be the real rebel iconoclast in the temple of sheeple.

Most of these kids have a device in their pockets that gives them access to more information than was found in the library of Alexandria with just a press of a button. I bet a Google search map is going to reveal an increase in searches for MAUS in that region, and more kids will read it than would have been assigned it this term.

Streisand effect

Reactions: 05_never_again
Playing Devil’s advocate here just for fun. Is the word “ban” really appropriate here? Obviously a school cannot teach every book ever written in a class year so is choosing to replace one book with another really a ban or just a change in curriculum?
That said, I thinking removing Maus from the curriculum is extremely stupid. It is one of the best teaching aids for helping young people see the danger and nature of creeping fascism and authoritarian government

Reactions: tbh
A Google search for Maus is more likely to turn up the Panzerkampwagen Mk VIII Die Maus, the heaviest Tank ever built
9A714C19-F2D4-447A-A13C-D8AD0250D896.jpeg

Reactions: tbh and AshG
that's why some kids are figuring out (especially in college) that being a conservative is to be the real rebel iconoclast in the temple of sheeple.
And the ultimate act of countercultural rebellion at that age, reading Atlas Shrugged 😉
Now THERE’S a book leftists would love to see banned. It’s mere presence drives them to hysterical spasms of rage

VN Store

Back