Banned Book Thread

I watched it..when I was in high school...but not at high school.

Actually..reflecting back on that, kind of explains a lot about my life as an womanizing adult..

My Dad told me to never watch it because the film was considered naughty & evil in the 70s. He did not like it so That warning made me curious. Pretty cool movie IMO but not for everyone.

Meh, I think that film is not appropriate for high schoolers. I could understand some parents being upset if that was brought to their attention.

I would have had to ask my kids "what the heck did y'all do wrong to deserve that"? "Couldn't you have chosen licks instead"?

Reactions: AM64
My Dad told me to never watch it because the film was considered naughty & evil in the 70s. He did not like it so That warning made me curious. Pretty cool movie IMO but not for everyone.

I watched it to see what all the fuss was about, thought it was terrible.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM and AM64
I could see how some would object due to the graphic nature of that flick. OTOH parents have to sign a slip allowing kids to watch controversial movies in HS. Our psychology teacher let us watch The Breakfast Club. My mom had to sign a form permitting me to watch it. Personally, I have no issue with a teen watching a clockwork orange in HS.
Private school sex ed was seeing pictures of genetalia in various degrees of decomposition due to various diseases. Parents didnt have to sign nothing. We werent given a heads up.

Shock and Awe to encourage use of condoms.

Private school sex ed was seeing pictures of genetalia in various degrees of decomposition due to various diseases. Parents didnt have to sign nothing. We werent given a heads up.

Shock and Awe to encourage use of condoms.

Sex ed should include spending a day in family court listening to the cases.

No books should be banned. If a parent doesn't want their kids reading a book don't let them check it out.

It's really ignorant to ban books these days, kids will just read it on anyone of their multiple electronic devices anyway. Making a stink about a book probably just brings it to the kids attention.

Lol, no they wont

And a week taking care of a baby.

It does. At least the fake baby that cries every so often and you have to feed it, change the diaper or rock it to sleep to make it stop. The doll would register how it was cared for. My daughter had to do this in middle school. She got first pick of the dolls and chose one that was AA. She named it LeBron. My wife and I died laughing when she told us that. I didn’t even know she knew who LeBron was. She got an A on the project. Half the girls just gave up and threw the doll in the closet for the week.

Reactions: AM64
Most classic books rumored to be banned have a copy on my bookshelf. Maybe that's their goal by I'm not going to allow something to go away without giving my kids a chance to read it

Reactions: AM64 and AshG
Hmmmm... how would you feel about your kids watching A Clockwork Orange in high school?
I not only watched the Stanley Kubrick movie with Malcolm McDowell as Alex, when I was a senior in high school, I also did an essay on the Anthony Burgess novel.

I'm sure it was shocking in 1971, but the "Game of Thrones" generation wouldn't bat an eye lid at it now.

Someone doesn't want teens thinking for themselves.

Teens thinking for themselves is a pretty dangerous situation ... fairly well documented, too. Insurors even consider it to be a problem into the 20s.

When I was a kid one Sunday the sermon at church was about Marilyn Manson. The preacher said his music was about all these terrible things, he might be a Satanist, he looked like a woman, and he supposedly was really popular among kids and teenagers.

I had never heard of him at that point and had no idea who he was, but my interest was piqued. I had to see how weird this dude was. As soon as we got home after church I got on Napster and downloaded the entire Mechanical Animals album, which had just been released. I ended up not even liking it and deleted the songs so I didn't get in trouble, but I would not even have known what it was if it wasn't for our preacher.

I'm not sure why people don't understand this. If you go to a group of people, especially kids who are much more naturally curious than adults, and say "This is bad, don't don't read it" it makes it way more likely they'll read it.
Like when people say don't listen to Joe Rogan. And guess what happened? More people sought him out and listened to his podcast.

Reactions: 05_never_again

VN Store

Back