Barbie movie is about to be the biggest messaging backfire since Full Metal Jacket.

I can't imagine any secure man being threatened by this movie. I saw it on Friday. It was good. It was pretty funny and imaginative. They had me in the first 20 seconds with the nod to 2001: Space Odyssey. It did drag a little bit at a couple points during some preachy stuff, but the overall point of the movie included the notion that Ken's identity shouldn't be as Barbie's BF and that Barbieland shouldn't be keeping the men down in their oppressive post-feminist "Utopia".

Imagine being the type of guy who sees this movie and then burns barbies in effigy on Youtube. Imagine being the type of guy who sees that person as a thought leader.

"Any dude who can't take those hits in that movie, they've really gotta look in their pants and decide what they're made of."

Marc Maron Slams Male 'Barbie' Critics for Being 'Insecure Babies'
It did drag on a little. Especially when it turned into a musical for two songs towards the end. Wife, kid and her amiga liked it and I got popcorn with butter layered. Couldn't ask for much more.

It did drag on a little. Especially when it turned into a musical for two songs towards the end. Wife, kid and her amiga liked it and I got popcorn with butter layered. Couldn't ask for much more.

I thought the songs were funny. All the Ken stuff was funny to me.

I thought the songs were funny. All the Ken stuff was funny to me.
I don't know if it was editing or what but it just seemed like something that didn't add anything other than time to the movie. And having two back to back was just weird. I'm glad that they made Ken the same in the end as he was in the beginning. An accessory.

Yeah, volumes. Oppenheimer is R and has a runtime of 3 hours. Barbie is a movie based on IP. Barbie has much more international appeal. As long as Barbie wasn't a bad movie, this was bound to happen.
Upon further research you seem to be correct. The numbers do add up. Rated R movies tend to do approximately half as well as PG-13/PG movies ($65 billion gross vs $120 billion gross between 1995 to 2023). So this would explain why domestically Barbie did approximately twice as good as Oppenheimer ($459 million vs $228 million). Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Upon further research you seem to be correct. The numbers do add up. Rated R movies tend to do approximately half as well as PG-13/PG movies ($65 billion gross vs $120 billion gross between 1995 to 2023). So this would explain why domestically Barbie did approximately twice as good as Oppenheimer ($459 million vs $228 million). Thanks for the correction.

The PG-13 rating has killed the movies.

The less people are bothered by anything tolerant of homosexuality the more freaked out the MAGA resentment base becomes.

Surprised DeSantis hasn't banned all the woke movie theaters in Florida yet, but maybe he'll get around to it.

I don’t think any of the outrage over Barbie has anything to do with homosexuality.

I'm glad to see that you have your priorities in order.

I saw it with my daughter.. it was meh..I’ve seen better movies and I’ve seen worse.. my husband and son were like no flipping way are we going to that 😂

As far as Full Metal Jacket goes ... I loved the first part of the movie at Parris Island. R. Lee Ermey was awesome as the drill instructor. I don't see how that would have inspired anyone to enlist in the Marines, however .... unless you just like being cussed out.
Have you ever met any Marines? It has nothing to do with 'being cussed out'. They are the best this country has to offer... There is no more patriotic group in existence, and second place isn't even close.

Thank God for the USMC.

Have you ever met any Marines? It has nothing to do with 'being cussed out'. They are the best this country has to offer... There is no more patriotic group in existence, and second place isn't even close.

Thank God for the USMC.
I agree with your assessment of the Marine Corps. That post (from 3 weeks ago) that you replied to concerned the movie Full Metal Jacket ... not the USMC.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Does don't GAS about it count as a boycott?
I’m counting it…. My wife wanted to me to watch it with her and my adult daughter…. I told her I was part of a conservative boycott…. We shut down Budlight and will do the same to Barbie….. Of course…. I didn’t drink budlight and have absolutely no desire to see Barbie so it’s not much of a sacrifice. 😂

VN Store

Back