BasketVols in the NBA (Pros)

Nice night for Grant - not so much for the Celtics. Nine game win streak and then you lose to the Pistons - the absolute worst team in the NBA.

Meh. It's the NBA. You can literally lose to anyone. Even the worst teams can have good nights. The Celtics turnaround has been impressive.

I wasn't aware that KC can't shoot....
His 65% FT shooting is killing him, if he was shooting 85% from the line scouts would somewhat ignore the 33% from 3 and feel like his shot is really close to improving from long range. Being at 65% while only being at 33% from 3 is going to make most scouts feel like his shot is a major weakness and a long ways off.

It’s what I’ve been saying for awhile in regards to a potential return, if he was shooting well and projected 20-25 I would think he likely goes, however if his shooting numbers are a weakness and his stock is 25+ he can improve his stock quite a bit by returning. If he’s looking at 25+ pick and he finishes the year at his current % he could come back and very well work himself into Top 15 range by just becoming a 85%FT shooter and 35%+3pt shooter.

His 65% FT shooting is killing him, if he was shooting 85% from the line scouts would somewhat ignore the 33% from 3 and feel like his shot is really close to improving from long range. Being at 65% while only being at 33% from 3 is going to make most scouts feel like his shot is a major weakness and a long ways off.

It’s what I’ve been saying for awhile in regards to a potential return, if he was shooting well and projected 20-25 I would think he likely goes, however if his shooting numbers are a weakness and his stock is 25+ he can improve his stock quite a bit by returning. If he’s looking at 25+ pick and he finishes the year at his current % he could come back and very well work himself into Top 15 range by just becoming a 85%FT shooter and 35%+3pt shooter.

Yeah, good point. The low free throw percentage is concerning and would definitely hurt the draft stock.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’m all-in on this season, but boy oh boy is it not exciting to think about a possible Kennedy Chandler return. I mean, if that happens and you can keep the rest of the band together and only have Fulky leave….that’s a pretty stout lineup for next year.

The odds of all those pieces aligning are probably pretty small, but a man can dream.

I don’t know how in depth the scouts dive into season statistics, but it seemed like KC started the season shooting fine at the ft line then went into a funk for a few games. His form was rushed to me. He’s since regained his form and the accuracy has returned. Take the bad stretch out and he’s probably shooting in a good range but that may not matter to the folks drafting

I don’t know how in depth the scouts dive into season statistics, but it seemed like KC started the season shooting fine at the ft line then went into a funk for a few games. His form was rushed to me. He’s since regained his form and the accuracy has returned. Take the bad stretch out and he’s probably shooting in a good range but that may not matter to the folks drafting
Stats don’t really show that though, first 5 games he was 10/10 combined…since then, 19 games 36/60 total for 60%.

I’m all-in on this season, but boy oh boy is it not exciting to think about a possible Kennedy Chandler return. I mean, if that happens and you can keep the rest of the band together and only have Fulky leave….that’s a pretty stout lineup for next year.

The odds of all those pieces aligning are probably pretty small, but a man can dream.

I wonder if the thought of how great this team could be next year would affect Chandler's decision and ultimately draft potential. He's not going to grow 5 inches, but if he were to be part of a dominant, high-profile team next year, along with improving FT and 3pt shooting, seems that could aid his prospects quite a bit. Either that or I'm working hard to convince myself that there's a chance.

Almost certainly would be Top 5 preseason and quite possibly higher depending on how this season ends.

I wonder if the thought of how great this team could be next year would affect Chandler's decision and ultimately draft potential. He's not going to grow 5 inches, but if he were to be part of a dominant, high-profile team next year, along with improving FT and 3pt shooting, seems that could aid his prospects quite a bit. Either that or I'm working hard to convince myself that there's a chance.
Probably not a crazy thought, UT could also really push him as the face/leader of that squad through some media campaigns etc.

Almost certainly would be Top 5 preseason and quite possibly higher depending on how this season ends.

I think this is an instance where NIL could actually be a factor. Jaden Springer was the #28 pick last year, coincidentally that is where The Athletic has Chandler mocked with the chance to fall.

Springer signed for $2.0 million for this season. I bet if we could put together a nice NIL package for him and lace it with the argument that this team is national championship caliber if you return AND you can improve enough to sneak back into the lottery, I don’t think it’s outlandish to think he could return.

Reactions: Volprofch05
I think this is an instance where NIL could actually be a factor. Jaden Springer was the #28 pick last year, coincidentally that is where The Athletic has Chandler mocked with the chance to fall.

Springer signed for $2.0 million for this season. I bet if we could put together a nice NIL package for him and lace it with the argument that this team is national championship caliber if you return AND you can improve enough to sneak back into the lottery, I don’t think it’s outlandish to think he could return.
Supposedly Hooker is getting $1m+, no reason to think Chandler couldn’t get that as well.

Supposedly Hooker is getting $1m+, no reason to think Chandler couldn’t get that as well.

You'd think. That's probably the ceiling of what we can offer, but I think anything close to that (even like $750k) could be enticing. It seems like we're starting to get a better feel for NIL the past few months, so I'm more confident Spyre can make something happen if Chandler is interested.

If Chandler comes back (one can hope) then we would still need one to leave to make room for Edwards and I'm assuming that one would have to be Bailey

His next few games after covid he shot 10/22, which lowered his average considerably. He's at 77% the last 7 games. He was 75% the first 12 games of the season.

His next few games after covid he shot 10/22, which lowered his average considerably. He's at 77% the last 7 games. He was 75% the first 12 games of the season.
His 6 games prior to COVID he was 57%, you can pick and choose a game here and there but he’s hasn’t been good consistently outside those first couple games.

His 6 games prior to COVID he was 57%, you can pick and choose a game here and there but he’s hasn’t been good consistently outside those first couple games.

His 3 games prior to covid he was 72%.

You're the one picking and choose a few games. In the four game sample you cited earlier it just coincidentally left out the 11-12 he shot in in the prior three games.

The much longer time frames I used encapsulate more of the season. He was 75 percent through 12 games. He's 77 percent over the last 7. He went 10-22 in the next 4 games after covid. In the 21 games besides the 4 post covid games he's 36-48/75%.

His 3 games prior to covid he was 72%.

You're the one picking and choose a few games. In the four game sample you cited earlier it just coincidentally left out the 11-12 he shot in in the prior three games.

The much longer time frames I used encapsulate more of the season. He was 75 percent through 12 games. He's 77 percent over the last 7. He went 10-22 in the next 4 games after covid. In the 21 games besides the 4 post covid games he's 36-48/75%.
Over a 24 game sample size he’s 46/70 for 65.7%. The OP mentioned the last few games he was better, whether that’s 3 or 4 games that just isn’t really the case. Also, why is post COVID 4 games, that some new side effect of it?

You are the same person who said JJJ is all or nothing right?

Chandler has 11 games of 66% or worse, he has 9 game or 67% or better…spin that however you’d like. The NBA doesn’t currently view him as a good shooter, thus the scouts that are out there, nobody thinks he’s some hidden sniper that a random 4 game post COVID (did he even have COVID) span just ruined his numbers?

Also, 75% isn’t considered good from the PG spot, so that’s not really helping whatever your point may be.

Last edited:
Over a 24 game sample size he’s 46/70 for 65.7%.

You are the same person who said JJJ is all or nothing right?

Chandler has 11 games of 66% or worse, he has 9 game or 67% or better…spin that however you’d like.

I'm the one who said JJJ contributes to winning when he isn't shooting well. I don't recall anything about saying he was all or nothing. Though his shooting this season is mostly him struggling from the floor with a couple of hot streaks. There's no discernable event such as having covid, where his stats slump then are otherwise steady.

7 of the 11 games where Kennedy is 67 percent or worse are games where he shot 1 or 2 free throws total for the game, the other 4 are the 4 post covid. I don't know how covid affected him, but he was 10-22 from the free throw line the next 4 games after he missed vs Alabama. He free throw percentage was 75 on the season before those 4 games and is in the 70s since they ended.

Edited to respond to the edit:
3 of the top 5 NBA PGs in PER ratings shoot 75% or lower from the FT line. Including All-Stars Morant and Doncic. I'd love it if KC was 80+% and he may get there. But shooting in the 70s won't kill his NBA chances.

Last edited:
If you don’t think his FT% isn’t hurting his NBA draft stock then I’m really not sure what to tell you, but keep beating that drum.

If you don’t think his FT% isn’t hurting his NBA draft stock then I’m really not sure what to tell you, but keep beating that drum.

Ben Simmons shot 67 percent at LSU and was the #1 pick in the draft as a PG.
Markelle Fultz was a 64% ft shooter in college and was drafted #1 overall. Lonzo Ball went 2nd overall and was a notoriously bad ft shooter. He shot 45 percent his first two years in the NBA. John Wall went #1 overall and was a 75 percent ft shooter at Kentucky. Derrick Rose shot 71 percent from the line, #1 overall pick. De'Aaron Fox was the #5 overall pick, 71 percent ft shooter at Kentucky. Dennis Smith Jr, #9 overall, 71 percent ft shooter at NC State. Collin Sexton #8 pick, 77% at Alabama. Darius Garland in his brief Vandy career, 75, #5 overall. Tyrese Halliburton #12 overall, 77% career at Iowa State. Cole Anthony #15 overall, 75%ft shooter.

I could go on for a long time. PGs who shoot in the 70s are very very frequently drafted in the 1st round. To the extent that more of them are selected in the 1st round than guys who are exceptional college ft shooters at pg. College FT % seems to be well down the list of draftable intangibles for a pg looking at 1st round picks over the last 10-15 years.

VN Store

Back