BasketVols in the NBA (Pros)

Another rough game for Chandler from the free throw line last night, had been a hot topic and some talk maybe his poor % was COVID related, wouldn’t seem to be the case with more and more efforts like last nights game.

My biggest takeaway from this discussion is that it sounds like Chandler needs to come back one more year 🙂
TBH if we advance in the NCCAT he should go. Lately, the NBA is way more interested in the potential to a huge degree than they ever were before. Look at the past 10 drafts and you'll see a trend that's only getting more clear. Top of the first round is almost exclusively Freshmen with a few Sophomores sprinkled in. Seniors and Juniors in the lottery are very rare and mostly make up the late first and top of the second round. Then they go for the full-on projects and draft and stash guys late second. Not only do they laser focus on freshmen age is a big factor too within the same class.

That being said NIL does kinda change things a bit.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I find it absolutely insane that y’all don’t think Kennedy should go to the league . He is almost a perfect pure PG in college . I honestly don’t see him getting any better either . I fully believe he has hit his peak already offensively. His ceiling is just that that high imo

Reactions: volfan4lyfe
I find it absolutely insane that y’all don’t think Kennedy should go to the league . He is almost a perfect pure PG in college . I honestly don’t see him getting any better either . I fully believe he has hit his peak already offensively. His ceiling is just that that high imo

He can definitely get better offensively. He is fantastic, don’t get me wrong, but he is a pretty horrid free throw shooter right now, which is very fixable. He also has room for improvement on the perimeter. If he came back next year and could fix those two things….he’s a NPOY type guy.

He can definitely get better offensively. He is fantastic, don’t get me wrong, but he is a pretty horrid free throw shooter right now, which is very fixable. He also has room for improvement on the perimeter. If he came back next year and could fix those two things….he’s a NPOY type guy.
I agree with u on he can get better but the thing is we usually see 5* players playing insanely better then they started at this time and I don’t think u can say that about chandler . His defense has gotten better but that’s honestly it . I’m not saying he is bad at all I think he is the best pure PG in NCAA right now . I just think his ceiling is 14-17 PPG and that’s ok

I agree with u on he can get better but the thing is we usually see 5* players playing insanely better then they started at this time and I don’t think u can say that about chandler . His defense has gotten better but that’s honestly it . I’m not saying he is bad at all I think he is the best pure PG in NCAA right now . I just think his ceiling is 14-17 PPG and that’s ok
His stock is much different if he’s averaging 17ppg with a 38% 3 ball and 85%+ FT…add in a knock down 16-18 footer and yea, he can still improve quite a bit offensively.

I disagree I think he has potential to be even better

His 3 games prior to covid he was 72%.

You're the one picking and choose a few games. In the four game sample you cited earlier it just coincidentally left out the 11-12 he shot in in the prior three games.

The much longer time frames I used encapsulate more of the season. He was 75 percent through 12 games. He's 77 percent over the last 7. He went 10-22 in the next 4 games after covid. In the 21 games besides the 4 post covid games he's 36-48/75%.
@VolArmy74 Since this discussion Chandler is 8/16 from the line, 50%. Not sure scouts will buy the COVID excuse.

At some point Barnes is gonna end up having to have him inbound the ball late with Ziegler, Vescovi, James and Fulk all being better options.
This we agree on. Plus, the guy that in-bounds the ball is the best guy to beat the press on the dribble, with a return pass.

He just doesn't focus at the line. Doesn't bend his knees and lift the shot. It's all arms for him.
He's what I've always described as "motion player". Notice all his strengths are highlighted when he's creating from motion (finishing at the rim, dribbling into a set shot, passing on the move, steals on defense, on the ball defense, etc). When he's having to do something from a stand-still position (free throws, rotate the ball, set shots, catch and shoot without stepping into it, etc) he is not as good.

My theory on this is that some kids train and learn their skills in a more active state throughout their development and that develops those "motion" skills earlier than the "set" ones. He's elite at motion skills, but still developing the set ones. He'll get there. Would love for that to be with another year at UT but I still believe it will be done at the professional level.

Looking like Grant’s gonna get a $40-$50 million dollar contract when he is eligible

So happy for Grant. Celtics fans gave him hell for a year or two in the middle of his rookie contract, but he’s had a huge season this year and is funnily enough one of the best 3-point shooters in the NBA. Love it for him. He deserves it.

Reactions: volsack7
I never thought he would develop that corner three the way he has. It was always the one part of his game that he needed to add, and I wasn't sure that he would. He did, and its a testament to his work ethic. The dude is shooting 43% from the three point line. If you would have told me he would become that good from distance 3 years ago, I wouldn't have believed you.

VN Store

Back