Being a Tennessee fan can be draining lol

Every woman in the country should want to marry a Tennessee Volunteers fan. We always start out with a lot of hope and are faithful followers even as she drives away in someone else’s truck. We ain’t ever slapped anybody or kicked them in the seat of the britches. We usually hang our heads and get ready for next year. A good tease seems to satisfy for a few years. If we ever really scored on the first date, then I reckon you could never run us off. We have hope and remain faithful until she’s gone. A kiss on the cheek is all it takes while she spreads for the milkman. A Tennessee fan is faithful indeed.

Spreads for the milkman? You mean she’d make him a PB&J sandwich?

Why are you attempting to talk up mediocre results? There is real concern about this team.

My comments have nothing to do with Barnes besides he is going to need an infusion of talent next year.
This team has produced anything but "mediocre" results. Winning a SEC title is far beyond that description

Is losing in the SEC Tournament really such a big deal though, when you just won the SEC Regular Season Championship? Was it a big deal when we won the SEC Tournament 2 years ago? It must not have been ... it sure has been quickly forgotten about.

One thing I've always noticed about this place .... the "big games" are only the ones we lose.

If we make an EE run, then no it's not. But if we don't, and especially if we lose next weekend then the game will tell us that we had much to worry about.

It's a postseason sport, fair or not. What you do in March is how your program is defined. Regular season is great and all but if you don't get postseason tourney runs then you're never going to be taken that seriously.

Not aimed at you specifically, but more this idea that's been peddled around here since about 3pm. I know it's the comforting reaction to getting our teeth kicked in, but why do we need a kick in the butt? Was the UK game at home on senior day not enough of a kick in the butt? Why does a team starting 2 juniors and 3 seniors (5th-year seniors, at that) need to be coaxed and motivated to put forth their best effort in March?

This.

Honestly, the whole concept of "wake up call" is so overused and cliche. I could somewhat buy the UK game though I still think it was more spnning and coping than reality. But to have this game IMMEDIATELY after the UK fiasco, yeah not buying it.

And if you need said "wake up call" in March, you got bigger problems.

Reactions: cncchris33
If we make an EE run, then no it's not. But if we don't, and especially if we lose next weekend then the game will tell us that we had much to worry about.

It's a postseason sport, fair or not. What you do in March is how your program is defined. Regular season is great and all but if you don't get postseason tourney runs then you're never going to be taken that seriously.
It's an NCAA Tournament sport though, not a conference tournament sport.

Winning the 2022 SEC Tournament did absolutely NOTHING for that team. It didn't improve their NCAA Tournament seed, and it didn't help build momentum going into the NCAA Tournament. Also, it has already been mostly forgotten about by the fan base. Look around at how many posts which say something like, "Barnes can't win in March." Those posters are either not counting the SEC Tournament as being "March," or they have already forgotten that Barnes won it just two years ago.

It's an NCAA Tournament sport though, not a conference tournament sport.

Winning the 2022 SEC Tournament did absolutely NOTHING for that team, and it has mostly been forgotten about by the fan base. Look around at how many posts which say something like, "Barnes can't win in March." Those posters are either not counting the SEC Tournament as being "March," or they have forgotten that Barnes won it just two years ago.

Overall I don't disagree with you, but I think in context this loss is different. A week ago we were thinking this might be the first #1 seed in history, and a week later we're trending the wrong way. Sure still a #2, probably the overall #5 seed, but I don't think anyone thought after the UK game that we'd have THAT terrible of a showing.

Either it turns out to be a fluke or it turns out to be a major warning flag. We'll find out in the next few weeks.

Reactions: volbound1700
Overall I don't disagree with you, but I think in context this loss is different. A week ago we were thinking this might be the first #1 seed in history, and a week later we're trending the wrong way. Sure still a #2, probably the overall #5 seed, but I don't think anyone thought after the UK game that we'd have THAT terrible of a showing.

Either it turns out to be a fluke or it turns out to be a major warning flag. We'll find out in the next few weeks.
Also, look at how many other high seeds have lost in their conference tournaments :

Arizona lost to Oregon
Purdue lost to Wisconsin
Kentucky lost to Texas A&M
Duke lost to NC State
Houston lost to Iowa State
North Carolina lost to NC State

I just can't bring myself to believe that losing in a conference tournament is a big deal. The Selection Committee does not seem to care either.

Last edited:
Reactions: sami
Also, look at how many other high seeds have already lost in their conference tournaments :

Arizona lost to Oregon
Purdue lost to Wisconsin
Duke lost to NC State

I just can't bring myself to believe that losing in a conference tournament is a big deal. The Selection Committee does not seem to care either.
It's not just losing , it's the way they lost and it made it 2 in a row. Being on a losing streak can't be good for confidence at any time, much less come tournament time when it's one loss and it's over.

Reactions: Vfl2407
It's not just losing , it's the way they lost and it made it 2 in a row. Being on a losing streak can't be good for confidence at any time, much less come tournament time when it's one loss and it's over.
I don't know that I call 2 games a "streak" .... and winning the SEC Tournament 2 years ago did not improve Tennessee's seed or provide any momentum for the NCAA Tournament either .... but whatever, be pessimistic if you want. We'll see what happens next week.

One final thought .... the furthest that Tennessee has ever advanced in the NCAA Tournament, was the Elite 8 in 2010. They lost to Kentucky in the SEC Tournament that year by 29 points (74-45).

We don’t pass the eye test right now. Just think, before our losses to Kentucky and State we were elated with dreams of a 1 seed and a final 4 appearance. We used the senior day excuse for our poor start against Kentucky. SEC Tournament game was really bad. We looked uninspired from the start. At the end of the day, that falls on Barnes and his staff. No more do overs starting next week, either bring it or pack your bags. Barnes must prove he can win in the tournament………. If he doesn’t most of the country view him as same Rick Barnes, he can’t get his teams to win in the tournament.

I agree. There are just some real concerns that people have seen that includes certain players the past 4 years. Fans can't ignore that.
The game of basketball can't be compared to other major sports team. Rosters are much smaller. Lots of great players in this country. A mid-major with one great player and a bunch of good role players can beat the very best for one game. Shoot lights out, with some breaks too, and a 1 or 2 is done for the night. A mid-major in football rarely beats a top P5 team. Rarely. "Real concerns" the past 4 years? That's a huge overreaction for the bunch who have "real concerns". Do you know how many games we've won from 2021-2024? An outright SEC regular season title and a SEC tournament title to boot.

Reactions: BisonVol
Also, look at how many other high seeds have already lost in their conference tournaments :

Arizona lost to Oregon
Purdue lost to Wisconsin
Duke lost to NC State

Exactly!

Conference tournaments, in the age of 64 bids, mean nothing except to teams that need to win out to get into the only show that matters. The conference tournaments are superfluous now, just like the conference championship games will be with the 12-team playoff in football. They are revenue producers, so they'll never be eliminated, but the bottom line is they're window dressing in between the games that matter.

The doomsayers and all the negativity here is too much, and it seems it's that way after every damn loss. Look at all the top seeds losing - are those fan bases all ready to call it a day and go home like so many here? MSU was the wake-up call this group needed after a grueling SEC season and a tough loss to KY. Anyone who believes we will come out the same way next week hasn't been watching this team all season.

Well Houston is getting beat by 30 as I type with 3 minutes left in the game #1 team in Nation guys these down nights happen.

Arizona lost to Oregon
Purdue lost to Wisconsin
Duke lost to NC State

Add Houston to this now

Reactions: BowlBrother85

Arizona lost to Oregon
Purdue lost to Wisconsin
Duke lost to NC State

& #1 Houston got blown out in B12 tournament by 28 points

Reactions: BowlBrother85
& #1 Houston got blown out in B12 tournament by 28 points
Wow! They did .... 69-41 to Iowa State. Thanks, I didn't watch that game, and didn't know the score. Holy cow. This was a rough weekend for the top 10 .... and NC State will probably give the Heels a good game tonight too.

Should Houston hit the panic button as well?

Wow! They did .... 69-41 to Iowa State. Thanks, I didn't watch that game, and didn't know the score. Holy cow. This was a rough weekend for the top 10 .... and NC State will probably give the Heels a good game tonight too.
Iowa State played their walk ons the last couple minutes it was a 32 point lead

Didn't we just win the damn SEC Men's Basketball Regular Season Championship? You make a point of bringing up the loss to Notre Dame in the baseball Super Regionals two years ago ... but then make no mention of the fact that Tony Vitello has taken us to the CWS in 2 of the last 3 years. You are straining to be negative. If you want to be miserable that's fine .... You should be a Vanderbilt fan, though. Things at Tennessee are really not as bad as you are suggesting.

In football they were. Now Heupel turned it around. Let's be honest though, most of the excruciating pain has been football (notably against Alabama, Florida, and Georgia).

In Basketball it is March Madness.

North Carolina just lost to NC State .... The only projected #1 seed to win their conference tournament was UConn. Does it matter? No. Are the basketball forums of Houston, Purdue and North Carolina freaking out like ours did? Probably not.

In football they were. Now Heupel turned it around. Let's be honest though, most of the excruciating pain has been football (notably against Alabama, Florida, and Georgia).

In Basketball it is March Madness.
Let’s not forget the SC loss where we lost our shot at a playoff as well as Hooker

Good post. I think the REAL culprit is football where we have seen Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, and LSU all taken home the trophy (or more than one with all of them not named Auburn) while we have done nothing in the modern era.
What's the modern era? 25 years ago is relatively modern. At least for me, anything 30 years ago isn't modern.

VN Store

Back