Best Individual Season?

vol_in_ga

Vols Deep
Best Individual Season by a Vol Football Player?

2. I think it would be Hendon Hooker in 2022 had he played the whole season (think he would have got the heisman too). That season is 3rd (or better) on most qb/offensive stat columns. Another game and a half, with one against vandy, plus a bowl game, and he definitely would have gotten this award in my opinion. First win over Bama in 15 years. Went 2-1 against Bama/uf/uga. Alas, he comes in at number 2.

3. “In 1929, Gene had, in my mind, the greatest season in Vols history. McEver scored 18 rushing touchdowns and 3 receiving touchdowns and scored a total of 130 points, still a UT single season record. He had a record 5 TDs and 3 extra points vs South Carolina. Nine of his eighteen rushing scores were from 25 plus yards. McEver was named 1st Team All-Southern and was a unanimous pick as a 1st Team All-American, the first in school history.” - @peaygolf

4. Chuck Webb in 1989 is one that comes to mind. Number 9 all time on the single season rushing list, but he took over from backup to Cobb (in which he had nearly 3 100 yd games) in game 4 I think and missed the season finale, so he only started 5 games. Had he started every game of the season, I have no doubt he’d be number 1 on the all time single season rushing stat list. We went 11-1. I don’t doubt that he would have been a finalist for the Heisman too. This season for him could have put him number 1 on the list.

5. Reggie White in 1983 has to be on the list.
The 1983 team captain drew little publicity until the sixth game of his senior year. By then, his domination was evident. He collected 100 tackles on the season, 72 of them unassisted, and set the school-record with 15 sacks for the year. He had a sack in every game but two and dropped the quarterback four times against The Citadel, another school record. White was named the SEC's Player of the Year and while earning consensus All-America and All-SEC honors.

Just Missed the Top 5:

EDIT: Adding Jalin Hyatt 2022 Most receiving TDs in a season (15), belitnikoff winner, most receiving TDs in a game in the Bama 52-49 Upset, with his own category. More than an honorable mention but not in the top 5, despite being a statistical leader by a wide margin at his position (my discretion based on my perception that a veryyy large part of his success was due to the efficacy of Hooker and the Huepel scheme). Happy to eat crow if his NFL career proves otherwise. @pimo1

Honorable Mentions:

Johnny Majors in 1956 (as runner up for the heisman you could easily argue he belongs on the list). Sec champions. Self recognized national champions (though I disagree as we lost our bowl game). Maybe it would be different if he won the heisman. Maybe it would be different if they played more than 11 games. Alas, he just didn’t have the stats, doesn’t show up on any of the all time single season record lists. Maybe the game is just too advanced at this point to put him on the list.

EDIT: Removed Dobbs from list. The 2016 season was all over the place. Lands on a bunch of record lists. App state in ot, yuck. Biggest attendance game in history. Comeback wins over Florida and uga. But also botched Tamu, blown out by Bama, and lost to vandy. Greatest season that never was. I’d like to forget much of that year.

John Henderson in 2000, most sacks in a season among other statistically significant numbers and his general impact on “possibly” the best def line UT has ever had.

Reggie Cobb in 1987 (most rushing tds in a season, number 10 on rushing yards)

Eric Berry in 2008 (Int return yards record and sec def player of year). Would have been even better had he not had to be used out of position half the year to cover up our defensive deficiencies.

Andy Spiva in 1976 (most tackles in a season - by a wide margin)

EDIT: Adding Dale Carter 1990 All American DB and KR to Honorable Mentions @njvols

And Number 1 is……

Peyton Manning in 1997. The knocks? Should have won the heisman. Got beat down by Nebraska. Couldn’t get over the Florida hump. That’s a good bit actually. But the pros? 11-2 record and SEC Champs. It’s not like he could play defense too, in regards to our 2 losses. Sits atop the single season records list at Tennessee for passing yards and TDs (tie with Dobbs). Number 1 draft pick bc of it. Who knows how it could have turned out if he hadn’t lost to Florida, or if there was a 4 team playoff back then. Or if the Heisman didn’t hate Tennessee. Either way he still earned his spot in Tennessee folk lore and this season, though not quite the magic it could have been as a team, puts him at the top of the list and I don’t know many that would argue it. The team was dominant and he was integral to it. He is possibly the best player to ever play at Tennessee (I’d throw Reggie, Atkins, Berry in there also). He was incredible that year.

If I missed any, please call me out on it. Don’t hold it against me though, I’m 31 so wasn’t there for a lot of it.

Last edited:
Hooker should be #1 ahead of Manning IMO. He lead the nation in YPA with a TD/INT ratio of 37:2… while rushing for over 500 yards. We will never see that type of efficiency again. That’s insane.

There is no equation that puts Manning’s 1997 numbers to shame.

2. I think it would be Hendon Hooker in 2022 had he played the whole season (think he would have got the heisman too). That season is 3rd on most qb/offensive stat columns. Another game and a half, with one against vandy, plus a bowl game, and he definitely would have gotten this award in my opinion. First win over Bama in 15 years. Went 2-1 angainst Bama/uf/uga. Alas, he comes in at number 2.

3. Chuck Webb in 1989 is one that comes to mind. Number 9 all time on the single season rushing list, but he took over from backup to Cobb (in which he had nearly 3 100 yd games) in game 4 I think and missed the season finale, so he only started 5 games. Had he started every game of the season, I have no doubt he’d be number 1 on the all time single season rushing stat list. We went 11-1. I don’t doubt that he would have been a finalist for the Heisman too. This season for him could have put him number 1 on the list.

4. Reggie White in 1983 has to be on the list. Nuff said.

5. Josh Dobbs in 2016. Tied for most TDs in a season. 4 losses by a total of 17 points, with 4th quarter leads in 3 of those. Had we had a more capable coach than butch, can you imagine what might have been? I won’t hold butch against dobbs. He was great.

Honorable Mentions:

Johnny Majors in 1956 (as runner up for the heisman you could easily argue he belongs on the list). Sec champions. Self recognized national champions (though I disagree as we lost our bowl game). Maybe it would be different if he won the heisman. Maybe it would be different if they played more than 11 games. Alas, he just didn’t have the stats, doesn’t show up on any of the all time single season record lists. Maybe the game is just too advanced at this point to put him on the list.

John Henderson in 2000

Eric Berry in 2008 (Int return yards record and sec def player of year)

Andy Spiva in 1976 (most tackles in a season)

And Number 1 is……

Peyton Manning in 1997. The knocks? Should have won the heisman. Got beat down by Nebraska. Couldn’t get over the Florida hump. The pros? 11-2 record and SEC Champs. Sits atop the single season records list at Tennessee for passing yards, TDs (tie with Dobbs). Who knows how it could have turned out if he hadn’t lost to Florida, or if there was a 4 team playoff back then. Or if the Heisman didn’t hate Tennessee. Either way he earned his spot in Tennessee folk lore and this season, though not quite the magic it could have been, puts him at the top of the list and I don’t know many that would argue it.

If I missed any, please call me out on it. Don’t hold it against me though, I’m 31 so wasn’t there for a lot of it.
And Doug Atkins was better than all of those.

Hooker should be #1 ahead of Manning IMO. He lead the nation in YPA with a TD/INT ratio of 37:2… while rushing for over 500 yards. We will never see that type of efficiency again. That’s insane.

There is no equation that puts Manning’s 1997 numbers to shame.
Love Peyton, always will. That said, he was an interception machine, Hooker wasn't. Both got cheated out of a Heisman, Peyton by anti-SEC bias, Hooke by injury, and probably some anti-UT bias as well.

General comments:
- Chuck Webb was a next level talent. There have been a lot of good running backs here but he was the best. If not for the injury I think everyone in the SEC would know his name after all this time. He was that good.
- Hendon Hooker had an amazing 2022 season, brilliant really. One of the best QBs we've ever had.
- Of course Manning and White were great.
- Dobbs was a good player and smart guy but I wouldn't include him in the list.

Here's a couple that may be missing:
- Peerless Price had a great 1998 season. They don't win the national championship without him.
- Al Wilson, also 1998, led the defense. They don't win the national championship without him either.

Last edited:
And Doug Atkins was better than all of those.
Definitely top 4 Vol all time. Did he ever have one season that was particularly exceptional? I’m not familiar with his stats as much as I am his general high regard and prolific pro career.

Please make your case with stats included and I will consider adding to the list.

Last edited:
General comments:
- Webb was a next level talent. There have been a lot of good running backs here but he was the best. If not for the injury I think everyone in the SEC would know his name after all this time. He was that good.
- Hendon Hooker had an amazing 2022 season, brilliant really. One of the best QBs we've ever had.
- Of course Manning and White were great.
- Dobbs was a good player and smart guy but I wouldn't include him in the list.

Here's a couple that may be missing:
- Peerless Price had a great 1998 season. They don't win the national championship without him.
- Al Wilson, also 1998, led the defense. They don't win the national championship without him either.
I thought about both Peerless and Al. Ended up not putting them on the list as I leaned towards quantitative stats over qualitative ones.

Reactions: orchidvol
Peyton Manning had the best seasons of any offensive player that I have seen at Tennessee (remember back to 67). 95,96, & 97 were all great seasons and if there had been 4 or 12 team playoffs, the 95 & 97 teams would have been involved. As for running backs, I have seen a lot of good ones including Curt Watson, Haskell Stanback, Jamal Lewis, Chuck Webb, and Reggie Cobb but if I had to choose one, I'd take Travis Henry over any of them. No one ran harder or could make something out of nothing like him. I remember Houston Nutt saying after they beat UT in 99 that they would rather try to tackle anyone but Travis Henry.

Reggie White's senior season was the most dominant defensive performance ever achieved by a Tennessee player. He could not be blocked. Jackie Walker would be a close 2nd with Eric Berry Leonard Little and Al Wilson rounding out the top 5. Reggie's NFL career was just as dominant.

Never saw anything but film on Doug Atkins but apparently when he was focused, he was the greatest player to ever play at Tennessee. He was named the SEC Player of the Quarter Century (1951-1975) and his exploits on and off the field are legendary. It is amazing how many NFL players admit they were scared of Doug during his NFL days.

2. I think it would be Hendon Hooker in 2022 had he played the whole season (think he would have got the heisman too). That season is 3rd on most qb/offensive stat columns. Another game and a half, with one against vandy, plus a bowl game, and he definitely would have gotten this award in my opinion. First win over Bama in 15 years. Went 2-1 angainst Bama/uf/uga. Alas, he comes in at number 2.

3. Chuck Webb in 1989 is one that comes to mind. Number 9 all time on the single season rushing list, but he took over from backup to Cobb (in which he had nearly 3 100 yd games) in game 4 I think and missed the season finale, so he only started 5 games. Had he started every game of the season, I have no doubt he’d be number 1 on the all time single season rushing stat list. We went 11-1. I don’t doubt that he would have been a finalist for the Heisman too. This season for him could have put him number 1 on the list.

EDIT: Removed Dobbs 2016 from list. I confused his 2016 record year with the outcome of the 2015 season. The 2016 season was all over the place. Biggest attendance game in history. Comeback wins over Florida and uga. But also blown out by Bama, and vandy. App state in ot. I’d like to forget that year.

Honorable Mentions:

John Henderson in 2000

EDIT: Adding Dale Carter 1990 to Honorable Mentions @njvols

And Number 1 is……

Peyton Manning in 1997. The knocks? Should have won the heisman. Got beat down by Nebraska. Couldn’t get over the Florida hump. The pros? 11-2 record and SEC Champs. Sits atop the single season records list at Tennessee for passing yards, TDs (tie with Dobbs). Who knows how it could have turned out if he hadn’t lost to Florida, or if there was a 4 team playoff back then. Or if the Heisman didn’t hate Tennessee. Either way he earned his spot in Tennessee folk lore and this season, though not quite the magic it could have been, puts him at the top of the list and I don’t know many that would argue it.

Hooker over Peyton. He went 3-1 when you add LSU, and he beat a ranked Pitt team.

Definitely top 4 Vol all time. Did he ever have one season that was particularly exceptional? I’m not familiar with his stats as much as I am his general high regard and prolific pro career.
I do not remember him ever having a subpar play, much less game. He was a monster at Tennessee as well as the NFL.

EDIT: Removed Dobbs 2016 from list. I confused his 2016 record year with the outcome of the 2015 season. The 2016 season was all over the place. Biggest attendance game in history. Comeback wins over Florida and uga. But also blown out by Bama, and vandy. App state in ot. I’d like to forget that year.

Honorable Mentions:

John Henderson in 2000

And Number 1 is……

We just skipping Jalin Hyatt last year? Thats easily top3. Hooker and Cobb cant be in the conversation because of the IF's. Had Hendon played a few more quarters and not gotten injured yes he wins Heisman no question. but he didn't. Not a knock on him a knock on the universe for being evil. Cobb didn't start every game.. full stop.

1 Peyton
2 Reggie
3 Hyatt the fact he did most of the work in an epic program changing Bama win makes me want to put him at 1 but.. Peyton and Reggie.... nah.
That win vs bama changed the direction of this program totally and could be the beginning of something special. I think its the single most important game in my lifetime (im going on 50).

Last edited:
Love Peyton, always will. That said, he was an interception machine, Hooker wasn't. Both got cheated out of a Heisman, Peyton by anti-SEC bias, Hooke by injury, and probably some anti-UT bias as well.

College statistics​

Career8631,38111,20162.58933147.1
CMPATTYDS%TDINTRTG
SeasonTeamPassingRushing
1994Tennessee891441,14161.8116145.2
1995Tennessee2443802,95464.2224146.5
1996Tennessee2433803,28763.92012147.7
1997Tennessee2874773,81960.23611147.7

He threw interceptions at a rate of 2.3%. I wouldn't call that an interception machine, but I know many of those 33 came at some awful times.

Honorable Mentions:

John Henderson in 2000

And Number 1 is……

Wow. No Shuler in 1993 in even at least the honorable mentions?

Agree with the poster that not including Shuler in 93' is a miss. Love the shout out for Big John Henderson that's a fair honorable mention. I always have a hard time thinking back and making sure I'm not overlooking anyone, but have to agree, Hendo may have put together the best individual single season performance we've ever seen. I think Eric Berry would be a candidate for number 1 if it was "Best Individual Career". Also Jalin's offensive year last year was amazing. He was unstoppable. Last one I would say for honorable mention is Joey Kent in 1995. First Vol WR to ever go over 1000 yards in a season and he turned around and did it again the next year.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat

VN Store

Back