Best Individual Season?

Except what you just cited was anything but an "individual season". Those are entirely team accomplishments.
Uhh duh. I was responding to someone bringing up Peyton's SEC Championship. That's why I said if Championships factored into the equation Tee would have the best individual season

Uhh duh. I was responding to someone bringing up Peyton's SEC Championship. That's why I said if Championships factored into the equation Tee would have the best individual season
If that were the sole criteria in the observation you would indeed have a point. However bringing Peyton's '97 "team" accomplishments also brings with it the individual distinctions of

1st Team AA
Maxwell Award
Davey O'Brien Award
Johnny Unitas Award
Best College Player ESPY
Heisman runner up
Still the most passing yards in a season by a UT QB (3,819)
Still the most passing td's in a season by a UT QB (36)

To your point if it was just a matter of "player X won a championship" then why couldn't it be argued every starter on that team was literally one of the best ever? I think you'd agree that really doesn't hold up too well. When the individual contributions are at elite levels then the correlation becomes much stronger.

You got everything mixed up. Yeah, his rookie year he was an interception machine. Unfortunately for Hooker, he won't have remotely the same kind of pro career as Manning
On it's face in all likelihood you're right. On the other hand it's a bit dismissive of Hooker. Hooker could have a fantastic career, literally HOF, and not reach Manning's level. I think that's mostly weighting what Manning did as opposed to what Hooker can achieve.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
On it's face in all likelihood you're right. On the other hand it's a bit dismissive of Hooker. Hooker could have a fantastic career, literally HOF, and not reach Manning's level. I think that's mostly weighting what Manning did as opposed to what Hooker can achieve.
Hooker will be competing for the back up job.That's not dismissive.

Hooker will be competing for the back up job.That's not dismissive.
Out of the gate after coming off of knee surgery behind the guy that was #2 in yards and #4 in td's? That's to be expected. I was just wanting to bring a little context into what one could actually do, which is a LOT, and "won't have remotely the same kind of pro career as Manning" still be in play.

I agree. I have a hard time not putting Hyatt at #1. This is simply based off our storied history of WR's and none of them doing what he did. If he played in the Orange Bowl his numbers would have been even better. The body of work for that season was incredible. The Bama game was a signature moment, that etched that season in our minds forever. He really should have got some Heisman consideration.
The one reason I have a hard time putting him at the top is unfortunately not a knock against him nor even a bad thing in general. I do believe that the scheme and hookers command of the offense (and maybe Tillmans injuries) led to hyatts numbers being what they were that year. Most of his catches and touchdowns found him untouched on the play, and I might even attribute that to hookers play as much as Hyatt’s. And so though statistically he had the best season for any wide receiver in Tennessee history, and one of the best overall statistically in general for Tennessee players, it doesn’t rank at the top for me because I think other players had individual performances as good or better given the amount of personal performance it took to make them possible.

**Of interesting note is that Hyatt had as good if not better numbers than Marvin Harrison Jr did a year later. MHjr was 4th in the heisman finalist voting. Hyatt was not a finalist.

I’m open to hearing the counter argument to that opinion. That season is still being digested by me personally. Hyatt eventually excelling in the pros might illuminate that season even more. A playoff appearance or him playing in the bowl game probably would have gotten him into my top 3.

All that said, his game against Bama is top 3 individual game performance of all time for me, maybe number 1.

Last edited:
Tee won a SEC Championship and a National Championship, with basically a less talented version of Peyton's team the very next year. If Championships factor in the greatest individual season its not a discussion. Tee would be easily #1.
If you want to die on that hill, knock yourself out.

Hum.............I might have to change my Countdown Topic.............. 🤔
I’m surprised you didn’t come in and lobby for Gene McEver, who I neglected to include on my list.

“In 1929, Gene had, in my mind, the greatest season in Vols history. McEver scored 18 rushing touchdowns and 3 receiving touchdowns and scored a total of 130 points, still a UT single season record. He had a record 5 TDs and 3 extra points vs South Carolina. Nine of his eighteen rushing scores were from 25 plus yards. McEver was named 1st Team All-Southern and was a unanimous pick as a 1st Team All-American, the first in school history.” - @peaygolf

We just skipping Jalin Hyatt last year? Thats easily top3. Hooker and Cobb cant be in the conversation because of the IF's. Had Hendon played a few more quarters and not gotten injured yes he wins Heisman no question. but he didn't. Not a knock on him a knock on the universe for being evil. Cobb didn't start every game.. full stop.

1 Peyton
2 Reggie
3 Hyatt the fact he did most of the work in an epic program changing Bama win makes me want to put him at 1 but.. Peyton and Reggie.... nah.
That win vs bama changed the direction of this program totally and could be the beginning of something special. I think its the single most important game in my lifetime (im going on 50).
I absolutely agree that the Alabama win was the most important as well as enjoyable game in my lifetime but I’m not 50 years old. I’m only 49.

I think we need to add Travis Stephens in 2001. He broke the UT record for rushing yards in a season, and had over 200 yards when we beat UF in the swamp.

Also, John Henderson in 2000. He won the Outland trophy, and set a UT record for sacks made by a DT.
Agreed. And let’s be real. So many Vol fans make the dumb claim that Clausen beat UF in the Swamp in 2001. No he most certainly did not. It was Travis Stephen’s. Without him, we lose big time.

Reactions: KoachKrab127
Great player. Great season. His heisman runner up should not be discounted. But it does not make the list. Statistically it lands nowhere on our record books.

Hooker now owns the Volunteers’ record for most consecutive games with a touchdown pass, previously held by Heath Shuler. Shuler, set the mark in Tennessee’s 1993 season, where he also finished second in the Heisman Trophy voting behind Florida State’s Charlie Ward.

Hooker now owns the Volunteers’ record for most consecutive games with a touchdown pass, previously held by Heath Shuler. Shuler, set the mark in Tennessee’s 1993 season, where he also finished second in the Heisman Trophy voting behind Florida State’s Charlie Ward.
I stand corrected. Sort of?

Reactions: WillisWG
I’m surprised you didn’t come in and lobby for Gene McEver, who I neglected to include on my list.

“In 1929, Gene had, in my mind, the greatest season in Vols history. McEver scored 18 rushing touchdowns and 3 receiving touchdowns and scored a total of 130 points, still a UT single season record. He had a record 5 TDs and 3 extra points vs South Carolina. Nine of his eighteen rushing scores were from 25 plus yards. McEver was named 1st Team All-Southern and was a unanimous pick as a 1st Team All-American, the first in school history.” - @peaygolf
I will “die on the hill” of McEver being the most important Volunteer in school history. He put UT football on the national map more than any other athlete.

Great thread.. Thanks OP.
Me, I just know I've seen a lot of things. Was there at Legion Field in '95 when Peyton took it to Alabama and broke a bad streak. Was there watching Hyatt's 5 touchdown performance against Bama. Saw Clint Stoerner really screw up. Saw Bernie and Ernie as a student in Stokely (I know, that's not football). There looks to be more good moments in the queue and I'm expecting Nico and his buddies to deliver. I can't say I can choose a good, better, best - because all contributed in their own way. I mean, really we owe much to Clint Stoerner and he played for Arkansas for Pete's sake.

Derek Barnett broke Reggie’s record for most sacks all time in 2016. Did it in 3 years. That was pretty cool to watch.
It was cool and he was good, but he was pretty much a one trick pony the way Butchie used him.
White was better all around, especially in 83.

VN Store

Back