Best Individual Season?

Hooker over Peyton. He went 3-1 when you add LSU, and he beat a ranked Pitt team.
Last yr was really unique with HH beating the defending ACC champ (Pitt) and JM3 beating Clemson, who was then the new ACC champ.

Lots of great stuff here, but Tony Thompson stepping in for CW was one of the best things I've seen.

Love Peyton, always will. That said, he was an interception machine, Hooker wasn't. Both got cheated out of a Heisman, Peyton by anti-SEC bias, Hooke by injury, and probably some anti-UT bias as well.
Manning was not an “interception machine.” Everyone in that era of football had more interceptions. In 1995 Manning only threw 3 which at the time was absolutely jaw dropping.

Peyton an interception machine? 🤭🤭🤭
My apologies. I got his pro stats mixed up with his college stats. Still, in the same amount of playing times they share, Hooker threw fewer interceptions.
Peyton's pro stats if you care: Peyton Manning Career Stats - NFL - ESPN

But boy, oh boy! Did I trigger the Vol-god worshipers! Not that I'm not one myself, but some of you folks should form your Church of Peyton, given how you go off the rails if someone so much as suggest he is mortal.

Last edited:
General comments:
- Webb was a next level talent. There have been a lot of good running backs here but he was the best. If not for the injury I think everyone in the SEC would know his name after all this time. He was that good.
- Hendon Hooker had an amazing 2022 season, brilliant really. One of the best QBs we've ever had.
- Of course Manning and White were great.
- Dobbs was a good player and smart guy but I wouldn't include him in the list.

Here's a couple that may be missing:
- Peerless Price had a great 1998 season. They don't win the national championship without him.
- Al Wilson, also 1998, led the defense. They don't win the national championship without him either.

Maybe it is just nostalgia...but Webb was the best RB to wesr the Orange, IMO.

I like every person that’s been mentioned, but I love Defense, and we had many over the years that had stellar years.
AJ Johnson was a tackling machine, along with Mayo and countless others. Also the guys that don’t show up in stats that had huge seasons, especially back in the day on our D line.

I can just keep spouting out names. Hard to pin down a top list when it comes to the history of this program. Hence why we all are here!

I think we need to add Travis Stephens in 2001. He broke the UT record for rushing yards in a season, and had over 200 yards when we beat UF in the swamp.

Also, John Henderson in 2000. He won the Outland trophy, and set a UT record for sacks made by a DT.

Oh yeah, let’s also add in Peerless Price in 1998. He didn’t have mega stats, because that team was so run-oriented, but he did have over 1000 yards and 11 TD’s. And the biggest accomplishment was MVP of both the SEC championship game and the national championship game. Getting 200 yards against that FSU defense was insane.

And finally, just purely from an ultimate leader/intangible guy, Shawn Bryson in 1998. He did so much for our team and sacrificed so much by playing fullback and not tailback. Every time he touched the ball in ‘98, we knew there was a chance he’d take it to the house, and for an undersized fullback, he handled blitzing linebackers really well.

Peyton won an SEC Championship.
The SEC Payton won in is not the SEC Hooker played, but if you are just looking at paper, Peyton has far more accolades than Hooker for sure. I just think Nico’s first game was dismissed by many and was remembering Peyton didn’t hit the numbers he eventually hit with his first game, but everyone was pleased with his initial play.

Last edited:
Chris White had a miracle season in 1985. 5th year senior who had never played anything but special teams, forced into starting role against UCLA due to injury. 9 interceptions on the year (led nation) and named All American. Kinda unreal, but that whole season was like that.

The SEC Payton won in is not the SEC Hooker played, but if you are just looking at paper, Peyton has far more accolades than Hooker for sure. I just think Nico’s first game was dismissed by many and was remembering Peyton didn’t hit the numbers he eventually hit with his first game, but everyone was pleased with his initial play.
It's safe to believe, Peyton would be the first one to tell you, he is rooting for Nico to have a better career than he did.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
We just skipping Jalin Hyatt last year? Thats easily top3. Hooker and Cobb cant be in the conversation because of the IF's. Had Hendon played a few more quarters and not gotten injured yes he wins Heisman no question. but he didn't. Not a knock on him a knock on the universe for being evil. Cobb didn't start every game.. full stop.

1 Peyton
2 Reggie
3 Hyatt the fact he did most of the work in an epic program changing Bama win makes me want to put him at 1 but.. Peyton and Reggie.... nah.
That win vs bama changed the direction of this program totally and could be the beginning of something special. I think its the single most important game in my lifetime (im going on 50).
I agree. I have a hard time not putting Hyatt at #1. This is simply based off our storied history of WR's and none of them doing what he did. If he played in the Orange Bowl his numbers would have been even better. The body of work for that season was incredible. The Bama game was a signature moment, that etched that season in our minds forever. He really should have got some Heisman consideration.

Peyton won an SEC Championship.
Tee won a SEC Championship and a National Championship, with basically a less talented version of Peyton's team the very next year. If Championships factor in the greatest individual season its not a discussion. Tee would be easily #1.

Tee won a SEC Championship and a National Championship, with basically a less talented version of Peyton's team the very next year. If Championships factor in the greatest individual season its not a discussion. Tee would be easily #1.
Except what you just cited was anything but an "individual season". Those are entirely team accomplishments.

My apologies. I got his pro stats mixed up with his college stats. Still, in the same amount of playing times they share, Hooker threw fewer interceptions.
Peyton's pro stats if you care: Peyton Manning Career Stats - NFL - ESPN

But boy, oh boy! Did I trigger the Vol-god worshipers! Not that I'm not one myself, but some of you folks should form your Church of Peyton, given how you go off the rails if someone so much as suggest he is mortal.
You got everything mixed up. Yeah, his rookie year he was an interception machine. Unfortunately for Hooker, he won't have remotely the same kind of pro career as Manning

VN Store

Back