Biden climate actions to jolt electricity prices

McDad's house

235311058.jpg

This sort-of reminds me of the old Cross-eyed Cricked in Lenoir City/Melton Hill area from the 70's-80's. Anyone else remember that place?

So, let me get this straight...

We met our targets without being in the treaty but France didn't even though it's named after their capital?
To be fair, France has some of the cleanest energy on the planet. They won't when they start pushing Solar and Wind. So they will go backwards on purpose. BUT GREEN!?

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
To be fair, France has some of the cleanest energy on the planet. They won't when they start pushing Solar and Wind. So they will go backwards on purpose. BUT GREEN!?
Germany went all in on solar which I found amazing since living there 99% of the days in the winter were dark, gray, cloudy, snowy and just in general crappy days. When we have a crappy cold day here in East TN I call them Germany days.

Has anyone done an energy balance for all these "green" goals? Typical solar panels have 2-8 years of "embedded" energy (it takes 2-8 years to produce the energy required to manufacture the unit) for a 25 year expected life expectancy.
To replace all the gasoline used to power cars in the US, all the electricity (most of which is still produced from fossil fuels) from the top 10+ producers would be be required..... that's about 1/8th of all the electricity produced in the US.... that's not just production but transmission too.
So how will be get this done in 15 years?

Has anyone done an energy balance for all these "green" goals? Typical solar panels have 2-8 years of "embedded" energy (it takes 2-8 years to produce the energy required to manufacture the unit) for a 25 year expected life expectancy.
To replace all the gasoline used to power cars in the US, all the electricity (most of which is still produced from fossil fuels) from the top 10+ producers would be be required..... that's about 1/8th of all the electricity produced in the US.... that's not just production but transmission too.
"truth over facts"

Shhhh. Libs can't handle thermodynamics and the concept of losses. It's going to be fun watching how this doesn't work out.

Shhhh. Libs can't handle thermodynamics and the concept of losses. It's going to be fun watching how this doesn't work out.
Let them enjoy their green games. Lately I am getting more and more requests to purify “green hydrogen” coming from hydrolysis of water... which of course produces a mixture of oxygen and hydrogen... as a way to supply the high quality H2 needed to power certain types of fuel cells. What gets me is that it consumes a lot more electricity to hydrolyse the water and then separate and purify the H2 and O2 than what you can get out of converting those gases back into electricity. But what do I know.

Someone aboved touched on a subject that i recently questioned myself....

GM said last week they will be all electric by 2035....

Ford said the same by 2030.....

Where the Hell is all the electricity supposed to come from to power every vehicle on the road in 10 to 15 years???

Where the Hell are they gonna put all of the presumably standardized charging stations instead of gas stations? What about all the pollution from digging up all of the gas tanks from underground as well as all of the gas pumps going to land fills???

What about all of the millions of gas burning cars that people will still own? Or likely they will raise taxes on gas and owning a combustion powered car so high that only the richest people will be able to have the old noisy polluting gas powered cars....

Where are all the batteries and huge electric motors for these millions of vehicles gonna come from? It was posted here that china has all the lithium...they were thought to have the market cornered on lots of rare earth elements, but recently Japanese scientists found deposits on the seafloor that dwarfs what the chinese even have...we better start extracting that **** from the seafloor like yesterday.........

Theres plenty of really smart guys here (and liberal idiots too) from many different disciplines.....what do you folks think? Wheres all this sheit as well as the power and infrastructure gonna come from in a decade??? Unicorns? Miracles???

Are GM and Ford really gonna meet those dates and produce only electric cars and trucks knowing that all this bullcrap listed above ^^^^^ isnt in place to make those vehicles usable or practical???

Where are all the damn sane adults???

Oh thats right. We let the idiots and their unicorn policies steal the national election and now we have a demented halfwit making laws from the oval office on record pace. ..the inmates are running the asylum

Someone aboved touched on a subject that i recently questioned myself....

GM said last week they will be all electric by 2035....

Ford said the same by 2030.....

Where the Hell is all the electricity supposed to come from to power every vehicle on the road in 10 to 15 years???

Where the Hell are they gonna put all of the presumably standardized charging stations instead of gas stations? What about all the pollution from digging up all of the gas tanks from underground as well as all of the gas pumps going to land fills???

What about all of the millions of gas burning cars that people will still own? Or likely they will raise taxes on gas and owning a combustion powered car so high that only the richest people will be able to have the old noisy polluting gas powered cars....

Where are all the batteries and huge electric motors for these millions of vehicles gonna come from? It was posted here that china has all the lithium...they were thought to have the market cornered on lots of rare earth elements, but recently Japanese scientists found deposits on the seafloor that dwarfs what the chinese even have...we better start extracting that **** from the seafloor like yesterday.........

Theres plenty of really smart guys here (and liberal idiots too) from many different disciplines.....what do you folks think? Wheres all this sheit as well as the power and infrastructure gonna come from in a decade??? Unicorns? Miracles???

Are GM and Ford really gonna meet those dates and produce only electric cars and trucks knowing that all this bullcrap listed above ^^^^^ isnt in place to make those vehicles usable or practical???

Where are all the damn sane adults???

Oh thats right. We let the idiots and their unicorn policies steal the national election and now we have a demented halfwit making laws from the oval office on record pace. ..the inmates are running the asylum

I generally agree with the sentiment of the charging infrastructure but GM/Ford being all electric doesn't mean all internal combustion cars will be off the road by then - I'd say most cars will still be dino-powered by then even if GM/Ford reach their goals.

Until charging a battery is as fast (or somewhere near as fast) as filling a tank the "fueling" infrastructure is going to be a problem.

Hydrogen is probably the real answer but batteries seem to be the obsession of the day.

(BTW - I'm pro-electric car)

Sup Bham... i am also pro electric car...IF and WHEN it makes sense. When it is actually what is better for people and the planet . I havent seen any evidence at all that the next decade or 2 is when those conditions are met though.

The "progressive" folks...i use that term very, very loosely and perhaps sarcastically....seem to want to jump into this crap with both feet without ever checking the waters for deadly submerged hazards....just like all the folks clamoring to build windmills and solar panel farms everywhere when nuclear power is undeniably the safest, cleanest, most efficient way to currently generate power. I feel like this forceful push to convert all new cars to electric now is a boondoggle devised to make a few people billionaires at the expense of everyone else....again.

I respect you as a poster and enjoy your posts over the years as well. I believe you have moderate views about politics and most other things, and hope you never take offense to one of my posts. None is ever intended. The far left loons however are just as bad as the far right folks that they mock...or worse. I dont much mind offending them.

Reactions: StarRaider
Let them enjoy their green games. Lately I am getting more and more requests to purify “green hydrogen” coming from hydrolysis of water... which of course produces a mixture of oxygen and hydrogen... as a way to supply the high quality H2 needed to power certain types of fuel cells. What gets me is that it consumes a lot more electricity to hydrolyse the water and then separate and purify the H2 and O2 than what you can get out of converting those gases back into electricity. But what do I know.

I did research on this process about 15 years ago and that was the conclusion. The conversion was not cost effective. Now if someone could produce a catalyst to drive the the reaction they might be onto something.

Reactions: AM64 and RavinDave

VN Store

Back