Bill Introduced To Abolish Electoral College

One argument for abolishing the EC can't be denied. People would be more inclined to vote if they knew their vote counted. It's possible that a huge number of republicans in CA, NY, and other blue states don't bother voting.

Isn't it just as possible that a huge number of democrats in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Tennessee don't bother voting as well?

Reactions: 1 person
The biggest gains would come to Texas, which is projected to clinch three more House seats, and Florida, a gainer of two seats. Arizona, North Carolina, Colorado and*Oregon*are all poised to grab one seat after 2020.
Nine states are projected to lose districts: Alabama, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and West Virginia.
“What we do find is that it does make things more Republican,” said*Kimball Brace, president of Election Data Services

The Democrats can be screwed for decades if they don't mess it up.

Turns out Barbara Boxer was a superdelegate this year and she voted Clinton over Sanders.

So much for democracy and one person/one vote.

Reactions: 6 people
Wouldn't it be easier to repeal the Apportionment Act of 1911 and elect another 15,000 representatives?

Isn't it just as possible that a huge number of democrats in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Tennessee don't bother voting as well?

In the runup to the election I looked at some interesting numbers along this line from the 2012 election.

Turnout of Registered voters by state would be a long post but in 2012 87% of White registered voters turned out to vote. Only 64% of White citizens are registered to vote. And then we had, at the time, 2.75m white people in the country without citizenship. 90.5% of Registered African-American voters turned out but only 66% of African-American citizens were registered to vote. There were 1.8m Black people in the country without citizenship. 82% of Registered Hispanic-American voters turned out but only 48% of Hispanic citizens are registered to vote. There were 11.9m Hispanics in the country without citizenship. 84% of Registered Asian-American voters turned out but only 47% of Asian-American citizens are registered to vote. There were 4.2m Asians in the country without citizenship. My data sources was the census bureau voting data report from Nov 2012.

All total we had 235m voting age population and 215m voting age citizens. 153m of those citizens were registered to vote and 133m reported voting for someone. The census data is deemed by many in academia and research to be more accurate than media exit polls.

Leading up to the election I used this data on a state by state basis and broke out non-college educated whites and college educated whites to determine Trump's path to 270. I posted about this in that thread. 78% of college educated whites turned out to vote in 2012 but only 55% of non-college educated whites turned out. My thesis was Trump had to have higher margins with non-college educated whites and higher turnout among the same group to get to 270. In the end I think he ended up winning with margins much more so than any increased turnout in this subgroup. The potential to develop this voting block is pretty enormous. Even with their low turnout percentages, even Obama concedes, this is the single largest voting block in the electorate. While Trump won college educated whites, he nuked Clinton with non-college educated whites, especially in the states he targeted. He also did well with this group in states where he didn't even visit. For just one example, I think if he had gone to Oregon 2 or 3 times, he would have carried the state. Another is Minnesota. A couple more stops there and Minnesota would have gone Red. jmo.

I confess when Trump first announced his candidacy, I didn't think it was serious. It wasn't until the end of 2015 that I started pulling for him. Until that point, I never imagined I could support him. He has demonstrated over and over again that even though his critics put him down and don't believe he's capable of pulling off one unbelievable challenge after another - he is the one who gets the last laugh. He surprises people all the time - even me. I hope he keeps on winning. I'm not tired of it yet. :)

Reactions: 2 people
As I've said, I think there is value to having the EC in place so as to prevent an unqualified megalomaniac from using charisma and empty promises to appeal to angry and uneducated voters enough to take over and then screw everything up.

So let's see if they function as they are supposed to this go 'round.

You are right. It worked in this election. Not so much in the last two.

As I've said, I think there is value to having the EC in place so as to prevent an unqualified megalomaniac from using charisma and empty promises to appeal to angry and uneducated voters enough to take over and then screw everything up.

it obviously worked since your boy Hillary was denied. why can't you move to canada LG.

I love geography and demographics. The joy I get when I see them using those interactive maps of all the states and counties is unreal.
For that reason I would miss the electoral college.

Reactions: 1 person
No, it's more like the team with the most points on the board wins regardless of how many yards each team has on offense.

Thanks for agreeing, that was exactly my thought as well - and what I explicitly stated. Not sure why you stated "no."

Yep, that's why I still Ike the idea of EC votes going by district instead of just majority of state takes all.

It allows hidden voters behind the deep blue wall and the deep red wall a voice

She's a girl, so....

Still one of my all time favorite memes.

4767803+_1f41448c591c099599e7cef8a72eff69.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

What's that? Start a shooting Civil War II?

This image bears re-posting.
The EC does even out landmass against dense urban centers.
Why would anyone in the United States outside the relatively very small blue urban areas ever be concerned about or even participate in a presidential election again?

If you are a rural American and the Electoral College is changed, you're screwed.

Attachments

• ElectoralCollageMap.jpg
    ElectoralCollageMap.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 68

VN Store

Back