Bill Self should...

Hat, please don't take this as sarcasm because that is not the way it is intended. Is there a specific reason that you do not like Pearl? Is there something you know that I am not aware of? He is not Self and I do not think you could mention his name among elite coaches but he has been great in his short time here. If there are "issues" with Pearl please respond and let me know.
He's an admitted rat and I think he's a self promoting phony.

I have heard of some past violation or something that he was supposed to have reported. I don't really know anything about it though. You think Pearl is a pretender? I certainly don't think he is a "great" but he seems to have done pretty well while here. Will he be able to capitalize on this recruiting class or will he be a "sparkle and fade" type guy?

I have heard of some past violation or something that he was supposed to have reported. I don't really know anything about it though. You think Pearl is a pretender? I certainly don't think he is a "great" but he seems to have done pretty well while here. Will he be able to capitalize on this recruiting class or will he be a "sparkle and fade" type guy?
I think he's a solid coach and recruiter. There's no reason he shouldn't continue to be successful at UT. That doesn't mean I have to like the guy personally.

I think he's a solid coach and recruiter. There's no reason he shouldn't continue to be successful at UT. That doesn't mean I have to like the guy personally.

Fair enough. I was just curious as to the reason for your dislike. You seem to know college bball and I respect your opinion now i understand your perspective better.

So every coach who has EVER reported recruiting violations on someone is a rat? In the highly competitive world of recruiting and the dollar signs it means for coaches and universities, you would have to be a fool for not reporting a program you feel is violating recruiting rules. There are a lot of people who dont like the way Pearl did it maybe, but the principle in which you criticize him for being a rat is wrong.

Secondly, I dont know any coach who doesnt promote themselves or their program. Pearl does it a lot but who cares. He brings coverage to a program that was dead for a long time.

I guess you dont like Pat Summitt either. She reported UConn and she self promotes her and UT basketball all over the place.

So every coach who has EVER reported recruiting violations on someone is a rat? In the highly competitive world of recruiting and the dollar signs it means for coaches and universities, you would have to be a fool for not reporting a program you feel is violating recruiting rules. There are a lot of people who dont like the way Pearl did it maybe, but the principle in which you criticize him for being a rat is wrong.

Secondly, I dont know any coach who doesnt promote themselves or their program. Pearl does it a lot but who cares. He brings coverage to a program that was dead for a long time.

I guess you dont like Pat Summitt either. She reported UConn and she self promotes her and UT basketball all over the place.
You show how little you know about the fraternity of basketball coaches. Bruce Pearl has next to no friends in the coaching profession because of his actions. It's simple, they don't like snitches.

As to Pat Summit, dislike requires at last some level of interest. I don't care enough about women's basketball to expend the energy of having an opinion. It matters not to me if Tennessee wins the national title or disbands the program. It will have the same effect on me. None.

he taped the kid to rat him out. not exactly a minor "rat."

Not sure if there are levels to the term "rat." Either you have reported violations or you havent. Like I said, some may not like the way he did it, but he was doing what he thought was right. And besides, anyone who can piss off Dick Vitale is fine in my book.

You show how little you know about the fraternity of basketball coaches. Bruce Pearl has next to no friends in the coaching profession because of his actions. It's simple, they don't like snitches.

As to Pat Summit, dislike requires at last some level of interest. I don't care enough about women's basketball to expend the energy of having an opinion. It matters not to me if Tennessee wins the national title or disbands the program. It will have the same effect on me. None.

I could care less how much you think you know about the fraternity of basketball coaches and how much you think I know about them. Yes, I am sure you know more coaches and blah blah blah... The fact is, if you are not CHEATING then you as a coach have nothing to worry about.

I could care less how much you think you know about the fraternity of basketball coaches and how much you think I know about them. Yes, I am sure you know more coaches and blah blah blah... The fact is, if you are not CHEATING then you as a coach have nothing to worry about.
If you're not a rat, you don't spend some of the prime years of your career at Southern Indiana.

unless your ability dictates it.
Surely you aren't implying that all those schools that passed on Pearl over the years actually knew what they doing. It had to be the stigma of his informant status. He's the modern Naismith.

Let me qualify this by saying I am just making a point. I think Hat's dislike of Pearl has more to do with him using a recruit to get the goods on a guy than the actual deed of reporting a violation. I'm sure that Pearl given the chance would handle it differently today. If I am wrong on this Hat by all means call me on it.

Let me qualify this by saying I am just making a point. I think Hat's dislike of Pearl has more to do with him using a recruit to get the goods on a guy than the actual deed of reporting a violation. I'm sure that Pearl given the chance would handle it differently today. If I am wrong on this Hat by all means call me on it.
That's not totally off base. However, snitching in any form isn't something I have much respect for.

Surely you aren't implying that all those schools that passed on Pearl over the years actually knew what they doing. It had to be the stigma of his informant status. He's the modern Naismith.
I was just saying. The talented guys at DII style schools move on quickly. Those left have the stigma or are living proof of the Peter Principle.

That's not totally off base. However, snitching in any form isn't something I have much respect for.

Most violations don't reveal themselves, Hat someone has to be the one that drops the dime. I am of the opinion that if you run a clean program you don't need worry about it. That being said I don't really care for snitches either.

I agree with you that he did live with the stigma of the way he used the recruit to get the goods on another school.

I disagree however with what you think about people who report in general. Again, I still believe that if you as a coach are not cheating, then you have nothing to worry about.

I was actually drawing the same conclusion Hat is. His ability doesn't dicate his long stay, so something else did.

gotcha. I think anyone with any brains knows that it was the reporting that kept him back a few years. Almost all of us agree on that I think.

Pearl has stated on numerous times he'd do it all over again.

VN Store

Back