Bill Self should...

I'm going to wait until Self beats a team better than an 8 seed in this tournament before I let Hat convince of Bill Self's greatness.

UT most likely would have gotten through a 16, 8, 12, and 10 seed run to the Final Four. Not all that impressive if you ask me.

Self and Kansas also did what they had to do to wrap a one seed. They won the Big XII. That included a win over Texas.

There's no good excuse that Tennessee didn't win the SEC.
we did win the SEC. i'll take the 14-2 record over GA's 1 weekend hot streak any day. resume to resume, TN compared extremely favorably, imo moreso, than KU for the one in the midwest. but, it's left to opinion, and apparently after 30+ games of the reg. season, it was determined that one game played an hour before the selections were made was THE deciding factor.

You disqualified the vast majority of the bandwagoners who think Tennessee basketball just opened for business three years ago.
count me in this group i guess. I mean, i rooted for TN in basketball but it was a forgone conclusion how most seasons were going to turn out.

we sucked for the vast majority of my life with the random tourney season sprinkled in that usually resulted in a 1st or 2nd round exit.

for me, there wasn't a reason to get overly excited because i know how the story usually ends. it was like watching repeats of friends every afternoon.......i've seen this before, moving on to the next channel.

not so any longer. but who cares? as if there's something 'more special' about saying "i've always cared or always been a fan" or whatever. Winning breeds support, and that's what BP was brought here to do, and so far, so good.

he's gotten people like me back in the fold. that's part of what he was brought here to do.

as to the Bill Self/Bruce Pearl comparison, i'm not sure where it came from or who started it, but as of today, he's in the final weekend, so i don't think you can say anything about under acheiving any more.

plus, let's get something else straight regarding expectations..........NOT ALL PROGRAMS ARE CREATED EQUAL........when it comes to them.

our expectation as a program is different than UNC, KU etc...and it should be, and will be until there is sustained success over a long period of time.

it's no different than our lofty expectations for the football program. we get a NYD bowl and it's ho hum, just another year where we missed out on the bigger picture.

but there are plenty of programs out there that would love to consistently play on NYD as we do, or just get to bowl games as consistently as we do.

bill self was brought in to maintain that expectation.

Bruce Pearl was brought in to develop expectations.

and guess what? both have delivered.:thumbsup:

I'm going to wait until Self beats a team better than an 8 seed in this tournament before I let Hat convince of Bill Self's greatness.

UT most likely would have gotten through a 16, 8, 12, and 10 seed run to the Final Four. Not all that impressive if you ask me.
that was a very strong 10 seed. They brought it back on G'town, hammered Wiscy and played KU nip and tuck the entire way. They were very well coached and played tourney run style D.

Kansas is fortunate that their D is some of the nastiest in the land.

let me know when he apologizes for who his opponents were in the tournament of teams "playing it off" on the court.

we have a play off, and now that's not good enough because there were upsets in the bracket? OK.

because he's made it to the sweet sixteen and elite 8 numerous times without going further. How often has Davidson's coach done that?

Thank you for proving my point. The expectation is for Self and KU to go farther than the elite eight.

Thank you for proving my point. The expectation is for Self and KU to go farther than the elite eight.

that doesn't prove they are supposed to go further every year at all. It's just proof that he's a good coach and he's never made it past there.

also, he got the monkey off HIS back. not KU's.

expectation is a hard word when you're talking about a 6 game playoff with 64 teams.

you can say this team 'should' do this or that, but EXPECT is a big word.

i'm sure Davidson didn't expect to get to the Elite 8, just like G'town fans didn't expect to lose in round 2. but by all rights, g'town should beat davidson on most occaisons.

stuff happens. that's why this year is the first year ever that all 4 1 seeds made it to the final four. expectations rarely ever match results.

which is why we're all so bitchy around here.:)

So you have disdain for UT hoops, yet you watch and insert yourself in discussions. Alrighty then.

yes, it's being called a general sports fan. I hate alabama sports, but I watch their games. I would cheer for al qaeda over Notre Dame, but i still watch the Irish. Above all my individual team loyalties, i'm a sports fan first. If you knew about anything outside of your parents basement, you might know that there are millions of fans just like me.

So this "monkey" that Jim Nance exhaulted on TV after the game and the one that KU fans talk about only arrived this year?
A majority of KU fans expected KU to make it to the Final Four last year...prior to that, the expectations for Self's first two teams were not Final Four appearances.
So why did Self have a Monkey on his back and Davidson's coach didn't?
Six future NBA players on Self's roster...
This year, yes. Every year, no.

I was raised in Kansas, have followed KU since I can remember, and consider myself, as well as most everyone I grew up with, to be pretty avid KU fans. Years in which expectations were not met:
2006-07
2002-03
1997-98
1996-97
1991-92

let me know when he apologizes for who his opponents were in the tournament of teams "playing it off" on the court.

we have a play off, and now that's not good enough because there were upsets in the bracket? OK.

Do I have to accept the man's greatness for beating four teams in a row ranked no higher than 24 in the final polls?

I'll pass. If he beats UNC then I will give him credit where credit is due. But Hat jumped the gun on this one.

yes, it's being called a general sports fan. I hate alabama sports, but I watch their games. I would cheer for al qaeda over Notre Dame, but i still watch the Irish. Above all my individual team loyalties, i'm a sports fan first. If you knew about anything outside of your parents basement, you might know that there are millions of fans just like me.

I thought that was pretty darn clever.

If you say so. If I have disdain for a sports team - or anything for that matter, I don't watch it. To each their own.

Do I have to accept the man's greatness for beating four teams in a row ranked no higher than 24 in the final polls?

I'll pass. If he beats UNC then I will give him credit where credit is due. But Hat jumped the gun on this one.
no, but all this clamoring i always here about playoffs, and this team just won it's region, and now that's not good enough.

like i said, i'm still waiting on CBS to apologize to the rest of the final four for his easy road.

You act like I'm criticizing the NCAA tournament for some reason.

I'm withholding judgment on Hat's boy until he beats an elite team when it counts.

You act like I'm criticizing the NCAA tournament for some reason.

I'm withholding judgment on Hat's boy until he beats an elite team when it counts.
So, if KU loses this Saturday to a very solid UNC team, then you will say that Bill Self is a bad coach?

I doubt that there are a majority of people on this board who are touting Pearl's coaching ability over Self's. I think Self has proven that he is a better coach, at least for the present time. And the "self promotion" that Pearl is doing is also promoting the UT basketball program to a higher level than it has ever been. And while there are a few coaches out there that may do a better coaching job at UT than Pearl, I'd say that most UT fans wouldn't trade him for those coaches. Most fans are so fond of Pearl because of his combination of coaching ability, playing style, and great enthusiasm for the program/fans. I for one am not making the agrument that Pearl is the best thing since sliced bread, but I am arguing that for this program at this time, there is not a better coach and not one that I would trade him for.

So, if KU loses this Saturday to a very solid UNC team, then you will say that Bill Self is a bad coach?

No, that would be like calling Self an Elite coach by using wins over Villanova and Davidson as support.

No, that would be like calling Self an Elite coach by using wins over Villanova and Davidson as support.
you seemed to omit the part about those wins being in the NCAA tourney and the fact that they got his squad into the Elite 8 and Final 4, respectively.

VN Store

Back