Bill Self should...

you seemed to omit the part about those wins being in the NCAA tourney and the fact that they got his squad into the Elite 8 and Final 4, respectively.

So time and place takes precedent over quality of opponent?

I don't necessarily disagree with you that Self is a better coach than Pearl, but this act you have of pretending you are the second coming of Red Auerbrach gets old. :hi:

I agree. Hat is one of those people you can go to the bookie with. Analysis are well thought out and 99% on target. I would not nor cannot argue with that. I would lay bets on what Hat says versus any media pompus A@@ anyday of the week. To rephrase I have laid bets on Hat suggestions and readings. You just cannot beat the hat so go with the flow.

The problem I have is when we get on these tangents and it does become a Red Auerbrach thing. Self promoting or self annointing. Don't lose your image over things that are not worthwhile. Who cares who is the better coach Self or Pearl and why discuss it. Time will tell.

All I Know for sure is that Pearl is at this time the right fit for Tennessee Basketball and you could not find a better one. Tennessee BB and Pearl need each other to succeed and he is the best person for this job. He is not going anywhere and time will tell who the better coach. (5 to 10 years) from now, overall. It makes no difference because Self was not the best coach for tennessee bb at this time. I have no idea why it is being discussed expect to show off BB Wisdom. Coaching a team also involves creating and surviving in the environment for which you work. Pearl has created a new environment that Tennessee BB has never been in before his arrival. Mears was a showman also and I think a little extreme with the Bear thing. Pearl has seem to do both Coach well and entertain. Right now he is saying all the right things and is committed to UT BB the university and the Student Body. I believe moreso than any other coach would ever be.

What is the problem of being in a hole at Div II level at wanting to come back to the forefront as a Coach and staying and being happy where you are.

You don't see anyone touting Billy D for his win over the Patriots. Yes, for Self and Billy D they were big wins...in the circumstance. And while I congratulate Self for finally getting to the Final Four, I'm not going to annoint him for beating opponents he should have seen in the 2nd round.

I doubt that there are a majority of people on this board who are touting Pearl's coaching ability over Self's. I think Self has proven that he is a better coach, at least for the present time. And the "self promotion" that Pearl is doing is also promoting the UT basketball program to a higher level than it has ever been. And while there are a few coaches out there that may do a better coaching job at UT than Pearl, I'd say that most UT fans wouldn't trade him for those coaches. Most fans are so fond of Pearl because of his combination of coaching ability, playing style, and great enthusiasm for the program/fans. I for one am not making the agrument that Pearl is the best thing since sliced bread, but I am arguing that for this program at this time, there is not a better coach and not one that I would trade him for.

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

You don't see anyone touting Billy D for his win over the Patriots. Yes, for Self and Billy D they were big wins...in the circumstance. And while I congratulate Self for finally getting to the Final Four, I'm not going to annoint him for beating opponents he should have seen in the 2nd round.
Self's Jayhawks just beat Roy's #1 Ranked Tar Heels by 18. Think Self can coach, yet?

Not that I needed at prodding from you, but I said when he wins a bigger game than Villanova, I'd congratulate him.

Now, I will. Good job Coach Self!

Stay at KU and not go to OK State.

Bill Self should.....Paint his chest and all of Texas red & blue

I'm going to wait until Self beats a team better than an 8 seed in this tournament before I let Hat convince of Bill Self's greatness.

UT most likely would have gotten through a 16, 8, 12, and 10 seed run to the Final Four. Not all that impressive if you ask me.

Well it's all said and done now, but IMO coaching your team against lower seeds who are not supposed to be there is harder than getting your players all hyped up to face the 4, 3, or 2 seed. Alot of guys already look at it as a win. To avoid all those potential upsets (minus the 16 seed) is good coaching to me.

get himself some body paint and garish sport jackets. Despite the fact his resume and accomplishments dwarf those of The Sainted Bruce Pearl, there are some on this board who would have you believe they are actually in the same league as coaches. Looks like Bill needs to work on his self promotion skills.
I think Bruce Pearl has done the right thing by painting himself up and getting our program attention BUT just because I really like what he has done for us does not mean I think he is a top tier coach.

Well it's all said and done now, but IMO coaching your team against lower seeds who are not supposed to be there is harder than getting your players all hyped up to face the 4, 3, or 2 seed. Alot of guys already look at it as a win. To avoid all those potential upsets (minus the 16 seed) is good coaching to me.

You shouldn't have to get your players hyped up to play anyone in the NCAA tournament. Especially with players who have already suffered terrible upsets in the last 3 years.

However, the Davidson game looks pretty impressive after these last two wins. I do think KU got bailed out by CDR in the end, but a good job by Self nonetheless.

if you want to know how good a coach Bill Self is, ask John Calipari.

You shouldn't have to get your players hyped up to play anyone in the NCAA tournament. Especially with players who have already suffered terrible upsets in the last 3 years.

However, the Davidson game looks pretty impressive after these last two wins. I do think KU got bailed out by CDR in the end, but a good job by Self nonetheless.
Losing to UCLA in the Elite 8 last year is not exactly classified as a terrible upset.

Does the Davidson game look impressive in light of the fact that they only lost to UNC by 4???

KU did not get bailed out by anyone. If Memphis enters that game shooting 75% from the FT line for the season, then you have an argument. Memphis being Memphis is not bailing anyone out!

Only loss to UNC by 4, only loss to Duke by 6(at Cameron) and did not lose by much to UCLA I believe.

Davidson is the scariest 10 seed ever, they were a 5 or 6(possibly higher) in disguise.

Losing to UCLA in the Elite 8 last year is not exactly classified as a terrible upset.

Does the Davidson game look impressive in light of the fact that they only lost to UNC by 4???

KU did not get bailed out by anyone. If Memphis enters that game shooting 75% from the FT line for the season, then you have an argument. Memphis being Memphis is not bailing anyone out!

Excuse me, 2 terrible upsets. And Davidson lost to Western Michigan, NCSU and Charlotte. Yes they played UNC, Duke, and UCLA well but they also lost some bad games.

CDR was a 70+% FT shooter. Rose was a 70+% FT shooter. Together, they bailed out KU by going 1-5 in the final 2 minutes from the line.

But, you're right, Memphis as a whole didn't bail out KU. CDR (like I said...) bailed KU out by going 0-4 when he has always been a 70% FT shooter.

Only loss to UNC by 4, only loss to Duke by 6(at Cameron) and did not lose by much to UCLA I believe.

Davidson is the scariest 10 seed ever, they were a 5 or 6(possibly higher) in disguise.

They played Duke and UNC in Charlotte at the Bobcats Arena. They played UCLA in Anaheim and lost by 12, although they did lead briefly.

Hat, please don't take this as sarcasm because that is not the way it is intended. Is there a specific reason that you do not like Pearl? Is there something you know that I am not aware of? He is not Self and I do not think you could mention his name among elite coaches but he has been great in his short time here. If there are "issues" with Pearl please respond and let me know.

VN Store

Back