Bill's (Experts Only) Baseball Discussion Thread

tl;dr
You weren't asking me, but I've read Summer of '49 by him. I also I think his book The Fifties is top notch narrative history. Agreed. He was a great writer.
Both of those are great. The Best and the Brightest and The Children as well.

I was living in San Francisco when he was in town doing research for a book and was killed in a car accident.

Reactions: GordonC
Pujols has 310 extra base hits in 31-35 years. Griffey had 189. Both had almost same average. Neither was playing great defense.

Is this period enough for Pujols to pass Griffey?
I don’t know. They were both great before the injuries set in. I would say Griffey in the 90s was better than Pujols in the ‘00s, but it was close.

Doesn’t matter really, they were both a treat to watch.

@volfanbill, have you read October ‘64 by Halberstam? Great book by a great writer.
I have not. Nor have I read the books mentioned by @GordonC

However, and maybe I shouldn't bring this up to taxpayers, but it looks like my new assignment is more a "watch" type job than anything and I'm going to have PLENTY of reading time...

I don’t know. They were both great before the injuries set in. I would say Griffey in the 90s was better than Pujols in the ‘00s, but it was close.

Doesn’t matter really, they were both a treat to watch.

It could be semantics exercise. Griffey was better player and Pujols had better career...

Reactions: NorCalVol67
I have not. Nor have I read the books mentioned by @GordonC

However, and maybe I shouldn't bring this up to taxpayers, but it looks like my new assignment is more a "watch" type job than anything and I'm going to have PLENTY of reading time...
As a baseball fan, read Summer of ‘49 and October ‘64. And Ball Four by Jim Bouton if you haven’t read that.

Reactions: volfanbill
And I'll add that they all wish they were pitchers. I'm always amazed when I watch minor league ball (singe-A) at how good the batting is, but the pitching is definitely the weak link. Half-way decent pitchers get moved up.
Don’t want to derail the kickball thread too badly so I’m moving this tldr response here…

When the Cardinals traded for Larry Walker for three minor league pitchers, it meant what little pitching our Rookie level squad had were called up to the higher division minors. The season effectively ended that day. They couldn’t get outs to save their lives after that. Those poor pitchers playing for crumbs and getting lit up night in and night out

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back