Blake Toppmeyer doesn't have UT in playoffs

My issue is when Memphis gets an automatic bid after winning a weak conference and ranked #24 leaving TN out with a #12 ranking with losses to GA and AL. In that scenario TN would scull drag the Memphis team and should be selected before them.
i wouldnt get too overly cocky. memphis can play. not saying they would beat Tennessee, but they are a legit team and program that is going to continue to rise up IMO.

I have no issue with the best non power 4 conference team getting in the playoff. remember Boise St years back taking out Oklahoma, i believe it was?

and if thats how it plays out, why would it bother you that the SEC would show out like that?

Get. Over. It. other conferences are entitled to an auto bid just like the SEC is.
I’m just talking football and giving an opinion. Thank you though, I’ll try to get over it.

I think we’re on the bubble. Easy to see us not getting in due to our schedule. If we can beat OU at their house I think expectations change a lot. NC State is no easy game either. We’ve got a lot of tough in conference games.

i wouldnt get too overly cocky. memphis can play. not saying they would beat Tennessee, but they are a legit team and program that is going to continue to rise up IMO.

I have no issue with the best non power 4 conference team getting in the playoff. remember Boise St years back taking out Oklahoma, i believe it was?
Remember Liberty last season with the 133rd ranked Strength of Schedule? They would’ve gotten in, which was a joke. They would’ve gone to Athens for the 5 vs 12 game in the current format. Not enough Statue of Liberty’s or Hook n’ Ladders would’ve kept that from being a 7 TD blowout .

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
We're a bubble team, not everyone will predict us to be in the playoff.

It all depends on Nico IMO.
It's not just Nico. Both sides of the ball, it depends on how quickly they gel as a team. If everyone is doing their job consistently at the level they are capable and there is positive team chemistry, this could be a special season - the first of many. But to make the playoffs, that can't take until week 7 or 8 to happen...

Reactions: Volador
Remember Liberty last season with the 133rd ranked Strength of Schedule? They would’ve gotten in, which was a joke. They would’ve gone to Athens for the 5 vs 12 game in the current format. Not enough Statue of Liberty’s or Hook n’ Ladders would’ve kept that from being a 7 TD blowout .
okay, and let them take their L if thats how it plays out. again, not sure why that would bother you so much

okay, and let them take their L if thats how it plays out. again, not sure why that would bother you so much
I like the idea of it being the 12 best teams. I’m ok w/ a G5 team getting in, but I think there should be some rules where you have to at least play a Power 4 school to be in consideration. I think it’s good that Memphis plays at FSU this year and App plays Clemson. If they go undefeated in the rest of their games and have a competitive showing against either team they should be considered for the G5 CFP spot over a team that didn’t have a tough SOS, like Liberty last season. Is it really that out of bounds to want the best teams in the CFP?

I like the idea of it being the 12 best teams. I’m ok w/ a G5 team getting in, but I think there should be some rules where you have to at least play a Power 4 school to be in consideration. I think it’s good that Memphis plays at FSU this year and App plays Clemson. If they go undefeated in the rest of their games and have a competitive showing against either team they should be considered for the G5 CFP spot over a team that didn’t have a tough SOS, like Liberty last season. Is it really that out of bounds to want the best teams in the CFP?
who are you to be the arbiter of what teams are worthy, though? like who is to say for 100% certainty that memphis isnt one of the top 12 teams for example?

Conference champs and "wild cards", basic stuff here and about as fair as you can expect...

who are you to be the arbiter of what teams are worthy, though? like who is to say for 100% certainty that memphis isnt one of the top 12 teams for example?
I’m just giving an opinion on how I think it should work.

Did you write a strongly worded email to ESPN last year when FSU wasn’t included in the CFP last season?

He does NOT have UT in his final 12 playoff teams. Blasphemous I tell you, simply blasphemous slander from this hack of a journalist. The nerve of calling himself an expert on SEC football. Harrrrrruuuuumpppphh!! And I would place a bet of $1,000 that five of his 12 teams do not make the playoffs.

Georgia (automatic bid, SEC):

Ohio State (automatic bid, Big Ten):

Miami (automatic bid, ACC):

Oklahoma State (automatic bid, Big 12):

Memphis (automatic bid, Group of Five):

Texas (at-large):

Oregon (at-large):

Alabama (at-large):

Ole Miss (at-large):

Penn State (at-large):

LSU (at-large):

Utah (at-large):
Booooo, booooo, booooo

Honestly, I haven't seen any of the "top" pundits and outlets place us in the CFP...it's because we are THE great unknown in football this year.
If Nico puts things together, Squirell and Bru have good seasons, OLine stays healthy, DLine plays to potential the first few games then the forecast changes very, very quickly.

I watched that game and was pulling for Boise but you have to put it in context. Oklahoma was dejected by being in a meaningless Bowl game seasons goals were already gone and some of their players checked out. This was before players starting opting out but in these meaningless games players were being careful not to get hurt before the draft (not playing like there's no tomorrow) now they just opt out instead of making a meaningless appearance.. On the other side it was the G5s Superbowl. The same scenario happened when Utah came from no where (this was when Utah was still G5) to beat Bama in a Bowl game that was meaningless to the Bama faithful, was Urban's launching pad game. The beat down Liberty took last year will be more the norm in this 12 team playoff IMO.
The NFL lock players will opt out of non 12 playoff and teams with 2nd team QBs etc.. will get beat by lesser teams. This is games G5 will shine non playoff playing a P4 team that barely missed out. The draftable players will opt out, the younger players that are touted as future high picks will take care not to get hurt ergo not playing 100%, it has turned into a business and the product gets hurt you lose money.
I loved watching Oklahoma & Bama go down but in my head I knew it was an outlier but would never tell their fans that. 🤣

Last edited:
Who cares at this point in the season? FSU was in this morning and this afternoon they seem to be a long shot. And opinions, everybody has one…….

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Who cares at this point in the season? FSU was in this morning and this afternoon they seem to be a long shot. And opinions, everybody has one…….
The way the media was crying about it and defending them, and most FSU worshippers crying. I say they care.

I am disappointed; but this prediction isn’t unrealistic. We have three very tough games Alabama at home, and Oklahoma and Georgia on the road. We have to win at least one of those three while not getting upset in any of the remaining nine. It is definitely doable; but by no means certain.
If this team plays up to its maximum potential, we are in. The good news is that it is all in front of us. We have more talent than at any time in decades and we have the best staff and culture in a long time too.
So let’s just enjoy the ride. Football season is all too brief.
Here’s hoping to prove the doubters wrong.
Go Big Orange 🍊

VN Store

Back