Bowl Selection Sunday Thread

Liberty Bowl will be Iowa State vs Memphis…has the bowl ever had the home town team as a participant?

I think they’re going to have plenty of bulletin board material:

“Jamey Chadwell on the Selection Show when asked how long he’ll be celebrating until preparing for Oregon: ‘When I saw we were playing Oregon you might as well keep celebrating.’”
I think he meant because this might be as good as it gets i.e. celebrate just making the game cause Oregon will murder us. I took it as a self deprecating remark and a nod of respect to Oregon.

Why didn’t Ga & OU just change to a single game contract at a neutral site? Dallas/Atl/ NO. Could have made a lot of money.

Because I think both were happy the game got cancelled.

I also wonder if the SEC was pushing for both UGA and Bama for the playoffs.

Liberty Bowl will be Iowa State vs Memphis…has the bowl ever had the home town team as a participant?
Ironically, just a few years back (2017) the same two teams played in the Liberty Bowl. ISU won 21-20.

Last edited:
I don't particularly appreciate seeing schools game the system with weak SOS and start crying about not making it to the CFPs.

They went undefeated in a Power 5 conference while beating two SEC teams on the road. What more could they have been expected to do? Either FSU should be in or the selection criteria should explicitly exclude the ACC from consideration.

Reactions: onevol74
They went undefeated in a Power 5 conference while beating two SEC teams on the road. What more could they have been expected to do? Either FSU should be in or the selection criteria should explicitly exclude the ACC from consideration.
I respect your position, and to be honest, who knows what goes through the minds of a selection committee, it is more about who is popular vs. who is deserving...jmo

I respect your position, and to be honest, who knows what goes through the minds of a selection committee, it is more about who is popular vs. who is deserving...jmo

If that's the case (and a team from a conference that won three of the last ten national championship games -- over SEC teams -- need not apply), then the old bowl system with its crowning-by-vote was, in my opinion, both fairer and more interesting.

Reactions: FlyFishnVol

VN Store

Back