Butch Has Enough Talent...

WiseOlVol

right now to win 8 games if he's as good an X/Os guys as he's appeared to be.

Derek just didn't get the complexities and relied on asst's too much.

Reactions: 7 people
AP, WKU, South Alabama, UGA/USCe, Auburn, Missouri, Vandy, Kentucky.

Would be a tremendous season if he won all of those games.

Reactions: 5 people

I wanna see improvement and not gonna put a # on what he should win. The truth is we don't really know just how much talent we have or don't have. DD and crew were so bad it's truly hard to judge our talent level. I wanna see players know where to line up and see them know their assignments. That's what we should expect this season along with strong recruiting.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 6 people

Well, agreed that Derek didn't get it, but I'm not so sure if Butch can take what we have and win 8. I surely hope so.

P.S. I was a die hard about CDD. It wasn't 'til the absolute horrible coaching at the end of the Missouri game last year that I finally realized that he really was in way over his head. I still cringe when I think about that game. We have a blitzcreig (sp.) offense, 40 seconds, a time out, and near mid field, and he lets the clock run out to play for OT. Should have been throwing for the sidelines and win in the last seconds with a field goal or maybe even a TD. Sheeeeshhh!!!

Reactions: 10 people

Agree if they stay healthy. We need to win one of the tough ones this year. Hopefully the team can pick up the new scheme of Offense and Defense quickly.

P.S. to the P.S.

Do you realize that UT has lost to every expansion SEC expansion team they've played in their first year in the SEC? USC Jr, Arky, and now Mizzou. Luckily we didn't play Tex A&M.

I know it's off subject for this post but gimme a break. (Still pizzed about the Mizzou fiasco)

Reactions: 1 person

Speak on brother, I have been saying this.

Dooley is the worst coach EVER and Butch is the best!

But Butch is doing a good job if he wins the same amount Dooley did in his first year.

Makes sense

I wanna see improvement and not gonna put a # on what he should win. The truth is we don't really know just how much talent we have or don't have. DD and crew were so bad it's truly hard to judge our talent level. I wanna see players know where to line up and see them know their assignments. That's what we should expect this season along with strong recruiting.

You were right about Basilio.

thank god.

i've been waiting for this. my economic stimulus plan has arrived.

wiseolvol, please lay out all your predictions so i can fly to vegas and retire

Reactions: 4 people
I'm not looking at how many we win per se; however, I do expect us to beat someone that we aren't supposed to beat.

AP, WKU, South Alabama, UGA/USCe, Auburn, Missouri, Vandy, Kentucky.

Would be a tremendous season if he won all of those games.

Exactly.

Personally, I don't think 8 wins is complete unreasonable, but I don't think it is going to happen either.

If we beat everyone we are supposed to it is 6 wins.

If we split one of USCjr, UGA, and Auburn it is 7 wins.

If we win 2 of USCjr, UGA, and Auburn it is 8 wins.

...all three obviously it is 9 wins.

IMO, we don't have a prayer against Bama, UF, UGA, and USCjr. Auburn will be a toss-up.

I'm looking at a 7 win season, which is a reasonable expectation.

Reactions: 3 people

Very good post.

The question on UT's D talent can be answered if you can answer question: Was Sal as bad as the '12 performance or did Wilcox pull off a miracle by having the Vols mid-pack in the SEC? Which season actually reflects the talent most? Many if not most of the key players on D were around and playing as underclassmen under Wilcox.

P.S. to the P.S.

Do you realize that UT has lost to every expansion SEC expansion team they've played in their first year in the SEC? USC Jr, Arky, and now Mizzou. Luckily we didn't play Tex A&M.

I know it's off subject for this post but gimme a break. (Still pizzed about the Mizzou fiasco)
I guess the good side is that it took 7 years before we lost again to Arky, and 13 for SCjr. Hopefully we can have that kind of run vs Mizzou.

We are coming off the worst defense in UT's history and installing a entirely new set of QB and WR's. Let me guess, if he doesn't win will you make a post saying he can't coach as well as you were expecting?

6 wins and a bowl game will be a great start to what I imagine will be an illustrious career for Butch.

Let's forget about all expectations and support the man. Not to steal from Dools or make excuses, but this is Year Zero all over again.

Reactions: 3 people
Very good post.

The question on UT's D talent can be answered if you can answer question: Was Sal as bad as the '12 performance or did Wilcox pull off a miracle by having the Vols mid-pack in the SEC?

Sal was that bad.

We are coming off the worst defense in UT's history and installing a entirely new set of QB and WR's. Let me guess, if he doesn't win will you make a post saying he can't coach as well as you were expecting?

6 wins and a bowl game will be a great start to what I imagine will be an illustrious career for Butch.

Let's forget about all expectations and support the man. Not to steal from Dools or make excuses, but this is Year Zero all over again.
No more year zero bullcrap.

Very good post.

The question on UT's D talent can be answered if you can answer question: Was Sal as bad as the '12 performance or did Wilcox pull off a miracle by having the Vols mid-pack in the SEC? Which season actually reflects the talent most? Many if not most of the key players on D were around and playing as underclassmen under Wilcox.

That is a good question. But I really don't think we can judge the talent we have. The utter lack of discipline and lack of leadership starting at the top makes it impossible to accurately judge our talent level.

7 games, including bowl, is our cap, IMO. The way we lose to much better teams will tell me a lot about the X's and O's this staff is teaching.

I think some of you all are underestimating the power of positivity (not from fans but from Butch and this staff). They have the kids believing in themselves. Dooley's BIGGEST issue, even bigger than hiring Sunseri, was that he was a defeatist.

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back