Butch Has Enough Talent...

right now to win 8 games if he's as good an X/Os guys as he's appeared to be.

Derek just didn't get the complexities and relied on asst's too much.

This squad is very average talent wise and/or inexperienced at all positions except for the OL.

Reactions: 1 person
"Butch has enough talent to win 8 games." Really? The talent I have seen incliudes:

--Running backs who don't read their blocks well and are too slow to get to the outside
--DBs who take bad angles and are not fast enough to keep up w/SEC receivers
--No WRs with any appreciable experience
--Inexperienced QBs with very little experience and less success
--LBs who have struggled with proper alignment and lack the speed to make up for this.
--A DL group that sorely lacks a speed rusher and ability to pressure a passer.
--subpar kickers and punters
--a lack of quality depth at any position on the field w/possible exception of OL
--a front loaded schedule that can very easily destroy the confidence of a young team.

Better days are coming and Butch Jones has a track record of winning every where he has ever been. I am convinced that he is the man to bring Tennessee football back in the next few years. BUT, if you are claiming the Vols should win 8 games with the hand Butch has been dealt, you are setting yourself up for a disappointing season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
There's just too many unknowns to be able to predict anything regarding wins/losses. CBJ is exceeding my expectations up to this point. What I really want out of this season is some indication that our time wandering in the wilderness is drawing to a close.

I think some of you all are underestimating the power of positivity (not from fans but from Butch and this staff). They have the kids believing in themselves. Dooley's BIGGEST issue, even bigger than hiring Sunseri, was that he was a defeatist.

I think some of you all forget that there are 13 other teams that are positive as well. And not many of them are going to lay down just because their opponent is positive.

Well, agreed that Derek didn't get it, but I'm not so sure if Butch can take what we have and win 8. I surely hope so.

P.S. I was a die hard about CDD. It wasn't 'til the absolute horrible coaching at the end of the Missouri game last year that I finally realized that he really was in way over his head. I still cringe when I think about that game. We have a blitzcreig (sp.) offense, 40 seconds, a time out, and near mid field, and he lets the clock run out to play for OT. Should have been throwing for the sidelines and win in the last seconds with a field goal or maybe even a TD. Sheeeeshhh!!!

2 timeouts to be precise.....i wouldnt wanna play for a coach who pretty much said he had no faith in me either

"Butch has enough talent to win 8 games." Really? The talent I have seen incliudes:

--Running backs who don't read their blocks well and are too slow to get to the outside
--DBs who take bad angles and are not fast enough to keep up w/SEC receivers
--No WRs with any appreciable experience
--Inexperienced QBs with very little experience and less success
--LBs who have struggled with proper alignment and lack the speed to make up for this.
--A DL group that sorely lacks a speed rusher and ability to pressure a passer.
--subpar kickers and punters
--a lack of quality depth at any position on the field w/possible exception of OL
--a front loaded schedule that can very easily destroy the confidence of a young team.

Better days are coming and Butch Jones has a track record of winning every where he has ever been. I am convinced that he is the man to bring Tennessee football back in the next few years. BUT, if you are claiming the Vols should win 8 games with the hand Butch has been dealt, you are setting yourself up for a disappointing season.

Coleman, Jones, Randolph, Mcneil, and Moore are plenty fast enough.....Waggner and Teague were the slow ones.

Smith, Vereen, Lewis are plenty fast enough to rush the passer

Also if u dont know what ur doing it will slow u down too, which can be fixed by good coaching.

RBs reading blocks.....coaching

Defense lining up right...taking bad angles...coaching

Almost everything u listed can be fixed by coaching

Reactions: 3 people
I think some of you all forget that there are 13 other teams that are positive as well. And not many of them are going to lay down just because their opponent is positive.

True, but what I believe he was referencing was the attitude if the players. The UT vs GA game was ridiculous, but by that point there was a certain attitude swarming around the entire program after the Florida loss. It's not that we lost 7 games last year. It's how we lost them. As a fan it's also very frustrating to see your coach get, we'll out coached week after week, mostly in the 2nd half. It got to a point I could wager large bets that we would lead at half and lose by 20.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it's hard to put a number on how many wins this team will get because up until this coming season it's been poorly coached (at least during Dooley's tenure). I said earlier it'll be interesting to see exactly how good this team and this collection of talent can be when under the control of CBJ. I'll still say our talent is average for an SEC school---we're not horrible but we aren't elite. Average should equate to 6-6 or 7-5....

I think some people underestimate what we lost and how little experience the new starters on offense have. It will be hard to replace that type of production and experience. I do hope 8 wins happen though.

How hard is it to hand off the ball and let the best O-Line in the SEC clear out a 5+ yard perimeter?

Besides, the team will be much better conditioned and CBJ has used water-boarding and other techniques to help Palardy get his groove back!

Last edited:
How hard is it to hand off the ball and let the best O-Line in the SEC clear out a 5+ yard perimeter?

Besides, the team will be much better conditioned and CBJ has used water-boarding and other techniques to help Palardy get his groove back!

in sec games last season, tennessee ran the ball 257 times for 1129 yards. a 4.39 yards per carry average.

if you subtract cordarelle patterson's rushing totals in league games....

tennessee ran it 239 times for 936 yards. a 3.91 yards per carry average.

i don't think tennessee will have the success on the ground that people think without the threat of patterson and hunter on the outside.

:peace2:
in sec games last season, tennessee ran the ball 257 times for 1129 yards. a 4.39 yards per carry average.

if you subtract cordarelle patterson's rushing totals in league games....

tennessee ran it 239 times for 936 yards. a 3.91 yards per carry average.

i don't think tennessee will have the success on the ground that people think without the threat of patterson and hunter on the outside.

Who's to say we don't have another dynamic playmaker? Patterson was unheard of before burning Amerson and NC State. If we have anything at UT, it's an o-line and WR's, but we still lack an SEC calibre running back. But 4 YPC ain't bad. It's just that we need 6 YPC in the SEC,which is where having a power back comes in. We never have track stars in the backfield, but now we don't have the guy that can that can run up and down and break tackles...well he isn't on campus yet.

:peace2:

Who's to say we don't have another dynamic playmaker? Patterson was unheard of before burning Amerson and NC State. If we have anything at UT, it's an o-line and WR's, but we still lack an SEC calibre running back. But 4 YPC ain't bad. It's just that we need 6 YPC in the SEC,which is where having a power back comes in. We never have track stars in the backfield, but now we don't have the guy that can that can run up and down and break tackles...well he isn't on campus yet.

Pretty sure he was heard of.

I wanna see improvement and not gonna put a # on what he should win. The truth is we don't really know just how much talent we have or don't have. DD and crew were so bad it's truly hard to judge our talent level. I wanna see players know where to line up and see them know their assignments. That's what we should expect this season along with strong recruiting.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Nice post VB.

Pretty sure he was heard of.

Yeah like the quote by Chavis before the season ever started.He said CP was the best college receiver he had ever seen on film.Thats enough for me.But I think our O line should be very good.Just need a little productiin out of the passing game.

Yeah like the quote by Chavis before the season ever started.He said CP was the best college receiver he had ever seen on film.Thats enough for me.But I think our O line should be very good.Just need a little productiin out of the passing game.

A lot of that comes from coaching and putting whatever talent you have in position to make plays...not throwing 40 yard fade routes all the freakin time.

You put your playmakers in position to get the ball in front of them so they can make plays.

P.S. I was a die hard about CDD. It wasn't 'til the absolute horrible coaching at the end of the Missouri game last year that I finally realized that he really was in way over his head. I still cringe when I think about that game. We have a blitzcreig (sp.) offense, 40 seconds, a time out, and near mid field, and he lets the clock run out to play for OT. Should have been throwing for the sidelines and win in the last seconds with a field goal or maybe even a TD. Sheeeeshhh!!!

I still remember the feeling of utter disgust at that moment. I think that is when I fully quit on Dooley.

This squad is very average talent wise and/or inexperienced at all positions except for the OL.

I think the trenches is where we excell this year. The OL, I can agree is gonna be awesome. I think where most are gonna be surprised is the DL. Our D-line will wreak havoc on opposing qb's, imo

To quote Titanvolfanforlife ..

" 6 Wins and a Bowl Win is a decent 1st year.

7 Wins and a Bowl win is a good 1st year.

8 Wins and a Bowl Win is a great 1st season."

VN Store

Back