Butch Jones Future??

Coug

I like CBJ and hope he is successful. Assuming he is successful I am worried he might jump ship in several years given his more recent coaching history. His head coaching career started in 2007 at Central Michigan, 2010 at Cincinatti, and now 2013 here at UT. What is going to keep him here? Was his ultimate goal to be an SEC coach? Has anyone else given this some thought?

I hope he's so successful that we actually have to worry about this in 3-5 years.

Reactions: 42 people
Wow really? This is the damn University of Tennessee. We may have been down recently but this is a destination job. Please turn in your fan card up front.

Reactions: 37 people
Wow really? This is the damn University of Tennessee. We may have been down recently but this is a destination job. Please turn in your fan card up front.

I'm a fan just a realistic one. I'm sure the fans at Central Michigan and Cincinatti thought he would stay there as well.

There is a ladder to climb in this profession just as in any other. Tennessee and the SEC are atop that ladder.

Reactions: 1 person
There is a ladder to climb in this profession just as in any other. Tennessee and the SEC are atop that ladder.

Somebody better tell Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin that. None of those guys had trouble leaving.

Reactions: 2 people
I suppose I'm the only one on this entire forum that's even thought of this being a possibility?

I hope he is successful and if he is I hope he stays.

Fact: The man has a history of jumping schools.

Butch will leave us (if he does) probably for an offer from NFL or another program like A n M or LSU or something more successful in recent days..for that to happen he will have to do good (very good) here for 2-3 years..seriously that is my immediate priority..get 2-3 good years and coaches will folk up to coach at the Real UT !! #suckitgruden

I suppose I'm the only one on this entire forum that's even thought of this being a possibility?

I don't know that you can really blame him for leaving any of those jobs though. It's not like he jumped around just for the sake of it.

No he has a history of getting better jobs. Yes the NFL is the big time but not everyone wants to be am NFL coach. And if does leave for the NFL it means he did good by us.

"I came here to win championships"

bUTch jones

Good point!

Central Michigan -
2007 MAC Championship
2009 MAC Championship
Left
Cincinatti -
2010 Big East Championship
2011 Big East Championship
Left
Tennessee
?

If you don't know by now that UT is a destination job, you haven't been paying much attention to college football, especially the dominant conference.

This is where you hope two things! You hope butch jones is very very successful here because you are a UT fan. Second, you hope like heck Chip Kelly's offense is unsuccessful in the NFL and he flops. If chip is successful and butch turns this thing around big time and NFL franchises see that spread offense can work in NFL look for Jones to move on! Just my opinion

Last edited:
Some coaches are just made for college football and what it takes some do what the got to do to get to NFL so they do not have to tweet, text, and call recruits 24/7 365 minus dead periods.

He claims UT as his dream job. I believe him.

And we all hope so but you got to wonder when fatigue will set in. You know Jones is going to want to see his sons play high school sports they will be there in about 5-7 years. NFL proves more of a schedule to do so.

VN Store

Back