Butch Jones Future??

Let's quit being a paranoid fan base & start enjoying what bUTch is doing here right now! UT is not a stepping stone school...only Kiffin thought it was & I don't think he would have left here for anywhere but USC. We will be back in the thick of things before we know it & it will be sweeter than ever considering what we've all been thru since 2005!

Somebody better tell Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin that. None of those guys had trouble leaving.

Ok, the NFL is also atop that ladder. 2 of the 3 left for the league. The other is just an idiot.

CBJ could go to a few places from here. If he does well, he could get a shot somewhere in the NFL. I mean his alma mater is Ferris State (small time school in MI) so it's not like he would be leaving for that and I don't see a better job or fit outside of the SEC. If he wins 17 games the next two years, I highly suspect we would put him in the elite of area as far as coaches salaries go.

I suppose I'm the only one on this entire forum that's even thought of this being a possibility?

I hope he is successful and if he is I hope he stays.

Fact: The man has a history of jumping schools.

Butch has a history of winning and improving his coaching resume!! Butch will more than likely retire from UT.:)

Reactions: 1 person
I like CBJ and hope he is successful. Assuming he is successful I am worried he might jump ship in several years given his more recent coaching history. His head coaching career started in 2007 at Central Michigan, 2010 at Cincinatti, and now 2013 here at UT. What is going to keep him here? Was his ultimate goal to be an SEC coach? Has anyone else given this some thought?

Don't worry. He will stay and will win.

I think that's thinking too far ahead at this point. If he builds this and gets this program going where it should be then odds of him leaving are slim. If he leaves then hopefully he hands a more talented and developed roster off (the problem with last few coaches is that they haven't been handed quit as talented a roster---plus a myriad of other factors. I don't think you ever say never in life---but hopefully Butch stays as long as he able to stay.

Plus the rumor is that Jon Gruden is now interested. Apparently he is ready to.start construction on a new home on the land he owns. TIFWIW

Every good coach gets a promotion. The only coach I can thing of that wanted to stick with a small school, has to be Charlie Strong. The list could go on forever on coaches who has moved from a smaller school to a big school.

Heck no. Where is he gonna go that is better than Tennessee? USC? Yeah, that's worked out real well in the past. Central Mich and Cincy were not the type of schools where you spend your entire career, Tennessee is.

Reactions: 3 people
he got a job in the best conference in america,and if he can turn us around why would he leave....he would have already made us one of the best places to be again....he could be a senator or governor whatever the hell he wants

Reactions: 1 person
If Tennessee wasn't already a great place to finish your career Kiffin's struggle at Usc should help us keep him. Also i'm pretty sure by what he and his players/recruits are saying both he and his coaches are completely invested in UT.

CBJ could go to a few places from here. If he does well, he could get a shot somewhere in the NFL. I mean his alma mater is Ferris State (small time school in MI) so it's not like he would be leaving for that and I don't see a better job or fit outside of the SEC. If he wins 17 games the next two years, I highly suspect we would put him in the elite of area as far as coaches salaries go.

You keep forgetting that Butch follows Brian Kelly. So, I would say that Butch has a job at Notre Dame next.

Butch has said previously that he "wanted to retire here if given that opportunity". Could be bs but oh well, only time will tell and no one in this world can tell you a straight answer after Lane. Hardly any Vol fan will say he will retire here if he's successful just enjoy the ride and hope for the best.

Last edited:
I suppose I'm the only one on this entire forum that's even thought of this being a possibility?

So when people submit their resumes to get a better job its labeled as jumping jobs?

:popcorn:Now dont tell anybody i heard Jerry Jones would give coach Jones 20 million to coach the cowboys and he turned it down.

Central Michigan and Cincinatti are not Tennessee!!!!!! Tennessee is right up there with Alabama and Notre Dame in tradition and popularity. Why would he want to leave???

For better jobs. He left to better hiself up the ladder as advised. Unless it is the NFL then the SEC is where he wants to stay.

Every good coach gets a promotion. The only coach I can thing of that wanted to stick with a small school, has to be Charlie Strong. The list could go on forever on coaches who has moved from a smaller school to a big school.

Chris Peterson (Boise)

Pat Hill (Fresno- should have left.....fired 3 yrs later)

For better jobs. He left to better hiself up the ladder as advised. Unless it is the NFL then the SEC is where he wants to stay.

Butch has something in common with us and everyone else, we all want and use could mo' money mo' money! :yes:

VN Store

Back