Buttigieg wants to tax how much you drive

If it would completely replace the gas tax and didn’t require gps tracking then I wouldn’t be opposed. Would need more details though.

Reactions: ClearwaterVol
If it would completely replace the gas tax and didn’t require gps tracking then I wouldn’t be opposed. Would need more details though.
You should read some of the drafts from CA on OBDIII. They want built in cell modems so your car would narc on you to the Feds when you throw a MIL. I’m sure this will be along those lines of over reach.

Reactions: AM64
Where are you at on the coding re-education?

Well, I did a remote boot camp and did well enough. As promised there were a few job offers from the jump.

I elected to pass. After a lot of research and weighing outcomes, I think the industry is going to bounce back as early as Q3 this year. I'm going to enjoy another couple of months of time off, keep roadtripping, and go do a backpack through El Yunque jungle. My previous restaurant group is opening up a new joint and I'm considering a working partnership.

Well, I did a remote boot camp and did well enough. As promised there were a few job offers from the jump.

I elected to pass. After a lot of research and weighing outcomes, I think the industry is going to bounce back as early as Q3 this year. I'm going to enjoy another couple of months of time off, keep roadtripping, and go do a backpack through El Yunque jungle. My previous restaurant group is opening up a new joint and I'm considering a working partnership.

I've wondered what those boot camps teach? Is more like html, css, or php, asp.net? Or maybe all of that?

Do both. They are both very portable gigs and you can do both anywhere. Totally separate industries so you’ll always have a job you can do anywhere and with your wandering propensity the world is your oyster lad.

I've wondered what those boot camps teach? Is more like html, css, or php, asp.net? Or maybe all of that?
Basic scripting with c+++ and Java for the first few and then it's more focused on what you sign up for. Mine was remote but I imagine the pre-covid setups smelled very bad. Most of the others in zoom looked very haggard.

They already do that. It’s called a fuel tax 🤷‍♂️
I pay almost 40 cents per gallon in TN. Half goes to the State and half to the Fed. Roughly average a little less than 20 miles per gallon across my vehicles. I pay .02 per mile in fuel tax. Over the useful life of my car (300,000 miles), I've paid $6,000.

I pay almost 40 cents per gallon in TN. Half goes to the State and half to the Fed. Roughly average a little less than 20 miles per gallon across my vehicles. I pay .02 per mile in fuel tax. Over the useful life of my car (300,000 miles), I've paid $6,000.
That sounds like a helluva lot of money to me when you look at all the cars around you on the road. Take a look at diesel taxes now

Reactions: AM64 and hog88
Do you *really* want to play the game of comparing the two people, names, and reasonings behind those names?

I'm going to assume no, because you're not stupid, and that would be pretty ****ing stupid.
Why do the reasons matter.... it’s just making fun of the other side bc you don’t like them.

I don't particularly enjoy coding.

I'm one of those weirdos that only does work he enjoys.
I don’t particularly enjoy my job anymore with all of the dumbassery they expect me to entertain due to my seniority and pay grade. The work is fine, the background noise level has risen precipitously. I’m no longer allowed to call dumbasses dumbasses. That’s just wrong. But... they pay me a lot of money so....

There’s a reason it’s called a job. I’d submit a side gig handling small business web hosting/scripting is solid cash in your pocket and can be done literally from anywhere.

Reactions: VolStrom and AM64
Since jobs have come up in this thread... how goes the outlook for the young uns?

Reactions: AM64
That sounds like a helluva lot of money to me when you look at all the cars around you on the road. Take a look at diesel taxes now
In addition to the $6,000, I pay:
1,500 in annual tag and wheel tax
$500 in sales tax on 5 sets of tires plus tire disposal tax (fee)
Sales tax on repairs and oil changes plus disposal fee, and sales tax on purchase of car $3,000

Over 15 years, I've paid around $12,000 to government related to my car. And I dont have an annual inspection or emissions test.

Last edited:
SIL accepted offer for position in NE Ark. Daughter still looking. They moved last week.

Thanks for asking.
Good. They at least have positive cash flow now. If daughter can’t land a gig and they can swing it get her working on her grad degree now. Easier the quicker you get started.

If they get southern wandering eyes later on don’t hesitate to reach back out. We’re thinking things should pick back up after Q1 this year.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad

VN Store

Back