Bye-bye F-35?

It was never intended to be a fighter, yet replacing the F-16?
What does that mean?
The 16 was originally intended to be a fighter but was co-opted into a workhorse. Think of it as an FA-16. If you look at one loaded out, it's ridiculous. In it's pure form it is a fighter and can out turn anything in the sky except a 22 but just like the 35, it was turned into something it wasn't intended to do. It was/is a middle east work horse.

It was never intended to be a fighter. It was intended to replace the 16, 18 and the Harrier. The 16 was co-opted into an FA role and the 35 is better at the job than the 16. The FA-18 will be replaced by the 35 and the Harrier will be replaced by the Marine version of the 35.
I had read that the Navy was replacing the F-18 with the new “F/A-XX” that is under development?

The 16 was originally intended to be a fighter but was co-opted into a workhorse. Think of it as an FA-16. If you look at one loaded out, it's ridiculous. In it's pure form it is a fighter and can out turn anything in the sky except a 22 but just like the 35, it was turned into something it wasn't intended to do. It was/is a middle east work horse.

I did a "Gilligan" again.

The dang thing is so theoretically transformational, from a historical perspective of what a fighter should be, but is still an air-to-air fighter...

Last I saw it had a 2:10 kill ratio
Lol. I was more emphasizing the “1” in Vandy 1. The show bird in any Navy air group is usually the X00 numbered bird and is flown by the CAG. And it’s generally always sporting an embellished paint scheme.

I was out at NAS China Lake for a command change and retirement ceremony and they had the show birds of all the wings whom had flown out of there over the years do a fly over. Beautiful bunch of birds.

It was the GE F110-400 that saved the Tomcat.

When the F-14A came out it was powered by a pair of Pratt & Whitney TF30 engines. Disaster.

It was the F-14D, powered by the F110’s, that finally realized the potential of the Tomcat.

What a badass platform the F-14D was. Shame they retired it (too complex, too pricey).

The TF30 wasn't a disaster overall, just to clarify. The F-111 had a very distinguished career with those engines.

They just weren't suited for the Tomcat.

Same could be said about the F-15. The main difference was they had a LOT more room to add stuff to the -15 airframe and, with two engines, had a lot more capability than the -16 series.

Honestly, they could have bought that SEADE version of the -15E to replace the F-4G instead of the -16CJ's (Or CG, don't recall at the moment) and had a better overall platform.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Reactions: 85SugarVol
Just out of curiosity, why do we need a fighter jet? It's not WWII anymore, where they have dog fights and shoot planes down with machine guns. Why can't a drone do the same thing by firing a missile a hundred miles away, just like we do today?

Just out of curiosity, why do we need a fighter jet? It's not WWII anymore, where they have dog fights and shoot planes down with machine guns. Why can't a drone do the same thing by firing a missile a hundred miles away, just like we do today?

Good question.

Same could be said about the F-15. The main difference was they had a LOT more room to add stuff to the -15 airframe and, with two engines, had a lot more capability than the -16 series.

Honestly, they could have bought that SEADE version of the -15E to replace the F-4G instead of the -16CJ's (Or CG, don't recall at the moment) and had a better overall platform.
The biggest differentiator on both the 14 and 15 as compared to the 16 from people in the fighter business was the nose volume. For the air to air RADAR. The 16 always suffered here. In todays electronically scanned arrays this deficiency gap has been largely closed.

A couple of decades ago both the 14 and 15 could shoot down a 16 before he could even get a weapons lock.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
That’s the evolution we are going thru now. But remember the Air Force is tasked to defend the skies. And the Air Force is populated with … pilots. Not video game players. Well… not yet anyway.

Once you get the human out of the airplane now you can really crank the G loading on the airframe without physiological human limits

Think steam ingestion from the cat shots.

I get why they couldn't perform, however, it was one of those "do everything" engines the McNamara era tried to push through. Plus, since the F-14 evolved out of the failed F-111B program, it was probably natural to use an engine already slated for production.

Sometimes it works across multiple models like the F100 or J79, other times it's a niche engine that only works in one airframe.

The biggest differentiator on both the 14 and 15 as compared to the 16 from people in the fighter business was the nose volume. For the air to air RADAR. The 16 always suffered here. In todays electronically scanned arrays this deficiency gap has been largely closed.

A couple of decades ago both the 14 and 15 could shoot down a 16 before he could even get a weapons lock.

A shortcoming mentioned once or twice by Northrop when trying to market the F-20 lol

I still say that was one of the greatest fighters never produced. There really was a market for them and probably still would be today had things been different.

The TF30 wasn't a disaster overall, just to clarify. The F-111 had a very distinguished career with those engines.

They just weren't suited for the Tomcat.
For sure. That was just us trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Those engines were just fine for a high speed bomber.

A shortcoming mentioned once or twice by Northrop when trying to market the F-20 lol

I still say that was one of the greatest fighters never produced. There really was a market for them and probably still would be today had things been different.
Yep. The F-20 was a great machine that couldn’t find a US home and I think was too good to let anyone else have. Take a look at the export business for the F-5 as proof of that.

Always wanted to see the F-16XL. Apparently had twice the range and load out of the F-16A or C...Cant remember exactly. Of course beaten by the Strike Eagle.

300px-General_Dynamics_F-16XL_%28SN_75-0749%29_in_flight_060905-F-1234S-049.jpg

I get why they couldn't perform, however, it was one of those "do everything" engines the McNamara era tried to push through. Plus, since the F-14 evolved out of the failed F-111B program, it was probably natural to use an engine already slated for production.

Sometimes it works across multiple models like the F100 or J79, other times it's a niche engine that only works in one airframe.
Actually there is an entire story behind the TF33 that I can tell you if you email me. Do you still have the old gmail that I posted 100 years ago. I think you actually may have emailed me.

VN Store

Back