Bye-bye F-35?

Sure, it’s got a rotary cannon and Sidewinders - and no 4th Gen fighter should go looking to tangle with it.

But the F-35 should be able to shoot down an adversary before ever being spotted.

F-35 is not nearly as stealthy as F-22, but yes, it does have a stealth advantage over 4G fighters. That can serve it as an interceptor, but even as that it has deficiencies. It has limited range and limited speed. Interceptors need to fly fast and far, but F-35 cannot fly fast and far. Its airframe lacks the space for a super cruise engine, so it has to use its limited fuel for afterburners in critical situations. The plane has value, but it was elevated into a mission that it was not designed to perform.

F-35 is not nearly as stealthy as F-22, but yes, it does have a stealth advantage over 4G fighters. That can serve it as an interceptor, but even as that it has deficiencies. It has limited range and limited speed. Interceptors need to fly fast and far, but F-35 cannot fly fast and far. Its airframe lacks the space for a super cruise engine, so it has to use its limited fuel for afterburners in critical situations. The plane has value, but it was elevated into a mission that it was not designed to perform.
Who is saying the F-35 is being used as an Interceptor? It’s not meant to replace the F-22 in either the Interceptor or Air Superiority roles.

It is a highly advanced strike platform that doubles as a battle space information node/relay.

Who is saying the F-35 is being used as an Interceptor? It’s not meant to replace the F-22 in either the Interceptor or Air Superiority roles.

It is a highly advanced strike platform that doubles as a battle space information node/relay.

The United States Air Force. You might want to read my above post again. I promise you that it is as accurate as a short post can be about this topic.

The United States Air Force. You might want to read my above post again. I promise you that it is as accurate as a short post can be about this topic.
I read your post, and I’m not necessarily saying it’s wrong. I’m simply asking where you saw this.

Can you link to the USAF saying the F-35 is being used this way?

Wrong..The Motor is the largest thrust rated motor (40K) to fit in a fighter ever.
Supercruise has as much to do with mold line and area ruling of the fuselage.

In fact a new third stream motor is being developed with auto variable bypass that will allow efficient cruising for range during high bypass or more thrust with low bypass, ie more turbojet like. Range is approaching 1000 miles, on internal fuel alone, and that smokes the range of any F-15. With an additional 20% of thrust that monster motor will be around 50K. which is (2) P&W F-110's like used in the F-15C

Reactions: NorthDallas40
The F-35 isn’t going anywhere and I just saw a contract award blurb in the latest daily rag on the next production lot. Around 110 fighters at around $75M a pop I think? That outta trigger ya 😂
This is more true than you know. I predict an engine upgrade in the next 2 - 3 years.

accurate-id4.gif

Wrong..The Motor is the largest thrust rated motor (40K) to fit in a fighter ever.

In fact a new third stream motor is being developed with auto variable bypass that will allow efficient cruising for range during high bypass or more thrust with low bypass, ie more turbojet like. Range is approaching 1000 miles, on internal fuel alone, and that smokes the range of any F-15. With an additional 20% of thrust that monster motor will be around 50K. which is (2) P&W F-110's like used in the F-15C
P&W doesn't make the 110 and the F110 was never in the F-15C. The F110 made it's appearance in the F15K and now the F15EX.

Reactions: Orangeburst
Yep. If anything it’s finally poised to live up to all the hype.

I think over 750 delivered already to allies including AU, Japan, SK, with a production that won't necessarily approach an F-16, but thousands of them. Nations are lining up all over the world.
Gonna be a PIA for the CCP if they ever make a move. Those B's will make it a nightmare for them.

Reactions: 85SugarVol

Are you implying it takes significant thrust to take of VERTICALLY lol?

Are you implying it takes significant thrust to take of VERTICALLY lol?

What are u talking about?

NM....I see. Actually the Bee cumulative thrust puts out more thrust, which is driven by a shaft to the lift fan, than the A variant with the same motor. Now how is that? Colder ai has more mass flow than hot air that goes thru the combustion process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 85SugarVol
I find this entire thread entertaining because who really gives a sh!t about airplane dog fights? The world is going to be destroyed by missiles, not some super expensive planes taking pot shots at some truck driving down the road.

I find this entire thread entertaining because who really gives a sh!t about airplane dog fights? The world is going to be destroyed by missiles, not some super expensive planes taking pot shots at some truck driving down the road.

Missiles are super expensive as well, and designed by the same companies that design these fighters.

P&W doesn't make the 110 and the F110 was never in the F-15C. The F110 made it's appearance in the F15K and now the F15EX.
It was the GE F110-400 that saved the Tomcat.

When the F-14A came out it was powered by a pair of Pratt & Whitney TF30 engines. Disaster.

It was the F-14D, powered by the F110’s, that finally realized the potential of the Tomcat.

What a badass platform the F-14D was. Shame they retired it (too complex, too pricey).

So this is just like the Crypto thread for you.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I read your post, and I’m not necessarily saying it’s wrong. I’m simply asking where you saw this.

Can you link to the USAF saying the F-35 is being used this way?

Wow. Elevating F-35 to the role of air superiority fighter was a major story, covered in many, many news articles. B ut that was years ago. I'll try to find something for you, but whether I do or not, I'll stand on this because I covered it thoroughly at the time and know very well of what I speak. I trust my knowledge more than many of the reports these days, because there's a lot of shoddy journalism from reporters who do more writing than researching. Also, the cover story for F-35 has been more or less accepted over the years, with claims that are just not true. I read an article a few weeks ago that claimed F-35 had supercruise, when I know for a fact that it does not. It was not designed with an engine cavity large enough for a supercruise engine, so it willl never have the ability to go supersonic with the fuel efficiency of a supercuise engine.

Last edited:
It was the GE F110-400 that saved the Tomcat.

When the F-14A came out it was powered by a pair of Pratt & Whitney TF30 engines. Disaster.

It was the F-14D, powered by the F110’s, that finally realized the potential of the Tomcat.

What a badass platform the F-14D was. Shame they retired it (too complex, too pricey).
It was powered for a vast majority of it's life by TF33's (TF30 with a burner). The Super Tomcat was a late addition. Most of them were too worn out to upgrade and the platform was too dated to justify building new ones. The F18 had replaced it by the time the 400 then 404 was put in it. And yes, it was badass even with the TF33's after Pratt worked the bugs out.

VN Store

Back