BYE WEEK = Who was Tennessee’s quarterback when you became a Tennessee fan?

Wasn’t called a QB, called tailback. Johnny Majors. I was about 9 years old when he was a senior. Only got to actually see him play in Sugar Bowl. Not much college games on tv way back then.
Was gonna answer "we had on QB in the early fifties ran single wing". Johnny was the first I remember but started listening around 1950.

Hard to say as I was a kid. Probably Peyton Manning although I didn't seriously start watching until Tee Martin era and I was in college for the Clausen and Ainge era.

My earliest memory of UT is watching the 1971 Sugar Bowl on a black and white TV. The Vols were led to victory by Bobby Scott, but my all time favorite will always be The Artful Dodger.

Reactions: orangefloyd
I met Alan Cockrrll and Johnny Majors while the team was waiting on the team bus. Tony Robinson’s tenure is when I really started paying attention

That’s actually pretty cool tho. To know we have a younger generation that’s still die hards and haven’t seen glory days since they’ve been alive. I was 7 when we won our last title and I didn’t watch it live and didn’t start watching until I was about 13 with Ainge and Schaefer. Didn’t become a die hard until 08 which was the first game I went to against Miss State
We did not have quarterbacks back when I was a child. The first Tailback I remember is J D Proctor. I think he replaced Hank Laurcella
I’m old. Johnny Majors, my cousin
I’m a little older. Hank Lauricella, tailback for the National Champions for the 1951 season.

I also remember Hal Littleford 1947_1949. He also returned a long punt for aTD against North Caroline when Charlie Justus was their All American back.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back