CBJ calls out the OL

I love this. Butch is motivating our most talented unit cause he understands that our season rests on their shoulders. They have the ability to mask alot of our weaknesses and push us from being a 6-6 team toward a possible 8-4 team.
I'll be happy if he pushes us from a 4 win team to a .500 team.

I am suspect of the praise of this OL in general. I agree they are very good pass blockers, but they have not shown an ability to open big running lanes in the past. I hope they step up to the challenge and I believe they will.

Exactly. Isn't this exactly why people hated Dooley? "Throwing guys under the bus" and "calling them out"

Except that the players will be in year two of this system, which some would say is even more important than the personel. What scares a lot of people about this team is QB/WR experience and CB depth. Next year all these units will be much improved.
But all of the senior linemen will be gone. :hmm:

Except that the players will be in year two of this system, which some would say is even more important than the personel. What scares a lot of people about this team is QB/WR experience and CB depth. Next year all these units will be much improved.

CB depth is not going to improve much. The WR's will still be young. TE should be better.

Everywhere else they will have less experience, less talent, and/or less depth. Jones will be more dependent on youth next year than this year. More dependent on Fr with NO experience in the system and very little college level development.

Dooley's recruiting went downhill each year. His best class are this year's Srs. His worst class is this year's Sophomores. Because DD quit recruiting mid-season last year leaving Jones a really rough spot in recruiting... the 13 class does not answer next year's problems either.

Simply put, the roster is going to dip next year then get better then next as Jones' recruiting starts to make a bigger impact.

If you want to name the names at these other positions and convince me that anyone who is likely to replace say Tiny, AJ, or McCullers will be as good or better... I'm all ears.

But all of the senior linemen will be gone. :hmm:

And 3 of the top 4 DT's, 3 of the top 4 DE's, at least 3 of the top 4 LB's... Of the 14 players currently in the front 7 depth chart at least nine and probably 10 will not be there next fall. That is HUGE.

Do you think we will be a better team overall next year?
We will take a step back on the lines for sure, but it's not as bleak as sjt is making it out to be. The guys who will be starting next year are already in the system and should get plenty of reps this year, so it's not like we're throwing a bunch of guys out there without any experiene. We should be better at the skill positions as everyone will be back with a full year in CBJ's system. We're also adding JUCOs at key positions. Sorry for the long winded reply, but yes I think we will take a step forward next year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The greatest thing about Coach Jones is his demand that every player at every position play at a high level both mentally and physically. No reason this offensive line should not dominate they are top three in the league. Time for them to play up to their potential.

VN Store

Back