Cbj live on espn

"We have a very intelligent fan base, They know it won't happen overnight."

Well we all know now that Butch doesn't come on VolNation very often :)

Reactions: 45 people
Haha but I will say we don't think we are going 12-0 like some fan bases would, we would be content with a 7 win season and ecstatic with an 8+ win season this year.

Personally, it pisses me off to hear so many people predicting a 6-6 season and just low expectations in general. We have 4* talent at practically every starting position, and the best OL we've had in several years. We have the biggest group of WR's we've had in UT history.

We have two senior DE's that were 4* recruits (J. Smith was a 5* at one point). We have a mountain for a DT, who will likely be a 1st Rd draft pick. We will have one of the best LB groups in the SEC....3 All-SEC caliber safeties. With all of this in mind, why is our own fanbase selling our team so short? Dooley IS NOT here any longer.

We have witnessed 2 SEC teams in the past few years break out of the doldrums with 1st yr HC's and with low expectations (Auburn in 2010, and TAM last year). Why not just say that you really don't know?

Reactions: 39 people
Personally, it pisses me off to hear so many people predicting a 6-6 season and just low expectations in general. We have 4* talent at practically every starting position, and the best OL we've had in several years. We have the biggest group of WR's we've had in UT history.

We have two senior DE's that were 4* recruits (J. Smith was a 5* at one point). We have a mountain for a DT, who will likely be a 1st Rd draft pick. We will have one of the best LB groups in the SEC....3 All-SEC caliber safeties. With all of this in mind, why is our own fanbase selling our team so short? Dooley IS NOT here any longer.

We have witnessed 2 SEC teams in the past few years break out of the doldrums with 1st yr HC's and with low expectations (Auburn in 2010, and TAM last year). Why not just say that you really don't know?

the defense (which includes all those stars you mentioned is fresh off one of the absolute worst seasons in UT history (if not the worst). We have no QB yet, no true RB and a group of WR's who have barely a handful of catches between them. Add that to one of the most difficult schedules in the country and it's not hard to understand

Reactions: 24 people

While I agree with this in general....Check the schedule.

Reactions: 1 person
the defense (which includes all those stars you mentioned is fresh off one of the absolute worst seasons in UT history (if not the worst). We have no QB yet, no true RB and a group of WR's who have barely a handful of catches between them. Add that to one of the most difficult schedules in the country and it's not hard to understand

Our RB situation is better than it's been in a number of years, Worley is going to do big things, and you know what, if he doesn't we have three capable ones right behind him - all is not doom and gloom. If Butch gets what he can out of every player he has done something that hasn't been done at UT in four years; lead a team, not individual players.

I like Les Miles's quote on that...

"I favor us In every game".

You can't look back all the time. It's a new season, new team, new game. It's now, not yesterday.

I also feel that some of those negatives are actually positives. I like young wideouts. They seem to work out pretty good in college ball.

Our RB situation is better than it's been in a number of years,

better than 2009? No, we have a guy with good speed who can't hit holes and a guy who can hit holes but lacks top end speed.

Worley is going to do big things, and you know what, if he doesn't we have three capable ones right behind him

maybe but only Worley has even played a college game and he didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. There is no proof any will be great QB's. Sure we all hope they will be but there is no reason to believe that right now besides blind optimism

this season is likely to be rough and I'm usually one of the biggest consumers of koolaid around

Reactions: 3 people
Dudes. Go look at that roster. Go read it outloud to yourself. It will shock you the amount of raw talent across the board. We have at least one attack in all phases of the game.

Bottom line is our QB, WR, and Secondary are question marks this year. Whether it be experience (QB and WR) or poor defense last year (Secondary)

With the exception of the QB position I think we stack up well with most. I'm as excited as anybody about this year and believe we will do well. But iv'e raised chickens and just because the hen laid 10 eggs don't mean all ten will hatch. We are definetly in good position to do great things though.

Our secondary is a turn over machine. They were decimated by injury last year. Our quarter back is reliable, and in a position to make HUGE stride this year. Our wide outs were highly sought after.

I also agree with what you mention but this is my take:

The schedule is never going to be soft

Last year had allot of factors (Coaching) (Players not playing for the coaches) (Too many drama queens on the team or no self pride)

I believe CBJ has set a new standard (woke up the old ones) and the current players are buying in, we have talent on the defense but the LB and CB injuries hit a weak area of our roster in 2012.

Offense can tread water until we get a foot hold on being in rhythm, because it will be a new offense UT opponents will have to watch UC for scouting.

Reactions: 1 person
better than 2009? No, we have a guy with good speed who can't hit holes and a guy who can hit holes but lacks top end speed.

The reason I say our RB are better than they have been in a long time is a combination of our O-Line and the coaching. We had 161 rypg last year which was double the year before. So that's why I believe we will only get better, and yes, better than '09.

maybe but only Worley has even played a college game and he didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. There is no proof any will be great QB's. Sure we all hope they will be but there is no reason to believe that right now besides blind optimism

Worley is going to make a lot of people remember what a difference a competent coaching staff provides to talented players. He was a bad ass mofo in high school and with better players around him now, he should shine.

this season is likely to be rough and I'm usually one of the biggest consumers of koolaid around

And for the record, I'll have some kool aid with ya anytime pal lol

I like Worley. He is all Tennessee. He comes in cold off the bench and goes 3/4 for 20 yards against Alabama. He comes in ready when you need him, he has been developing for a long time, he can move the ball and his dad's name is Payton for Christ sakes. What's your problem? Have you noticed you don't hear crap from him, he keeps his head low and talks on the field the way all winners do.

Reactions: 2 people

We have witnessed 2 SEC teams in the past few years break out of the doldrums with 1st yr HC's and with low expectations (Auburn in 2010, and TAM last year).
Why not just say that you really don't know?

If you see a Cam Newton or Johnny Manziel talent walk through the door to QB the Vols this year, let me know.

Reactions: 4 people

Learning new systems takes time no matter how many stars you have.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back