Cbj live on espn

the defense (which includes all those stars you mentioned is fresh off one of the absolute worst seasons in UT history (if not the worst). We have no QB yet, no true RB and a group of WR's who have barely a handful of catches between them. Add that to one of the most difficult schedules in the country and it's not hard to understand
We actually had more talent and depth on defense, last year, than the year before. So, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the equation. Sal Sunseri (never been a DC at a major program) + switching to a 3-4 system = Soup Sandwhich.

You could just see the utter confusion in the players much of the time. Couldn't get lined up right half the time. So, you can't make a correlation to that defense and this year's. Go watch the Orange and white game. The defense was on fire. They WILL be a totally different unit. Why? Cause they know the 4-3 by heart, and there is a LOT more talent/experience there than the past few years.

Schedule has always been tough. Welcome to the SEC. Although the QB situation is open, it doesn't mean we have a group of scrubs, like we did when Kiffin was here.
Any one of these 4 could thrive with an OL full of guys who are going to be in the NFL next year....and 3 giant WR's to throw to. Heath Shuler, Peyton Manning, Casey Clausen, and Eric Ainge never had this kind of talent and size in a WR group. Don't sell them short until they give us a reason to.

Lane was a 4* Recruit as well...has been pretty solid thus far, and Neal has the size/speed combination you want in a RB...so I think we'll be better than expected

Reactions: 7 people
If you see a Cam Newton or Johnny Manziel talent walk through the door to QB the Vols this year, let me know.
Nobody expected either one of them to do jack at this same stage, either....so what's your point? If you didn't know Cam Newton would make such an impact until halfway through the season, how in the hell do you know Worley or Peterman won't burst onto the scene, this year? You don't.

Nobody was anointing Johnny Football or Cam Newton as Heisman candidates prior to their first fall camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If you see a Cam Newton or Johnny Manziel talent walk through the door to QB the Vols this year, let me know.

^ True, but until last season had you seen Manziel? I'm willing to bet you saw him just as much as you have seen Dobbs, Ferguson, or even Peterman in college game scenarios.

"We have a very intelligent fan base, They know it won't happen overnight."

Well we all know now that Butch doesn't come on VolNation very often :)

Oh he does. He sticks to reading my posts and those of a select few other. Haha
Posted via VolNation Mobile

So you knew Johnny Football was going to put up those numbers last year? Doubtful. He was a 3 star you know, and before the season started you must likely didn't even know who he was.

I'm not saying we win 7+ this year, but besides bama, fl, Oregon, and Ga i see all the other games as "winnable".

Reactions: 3 people
Oh he does. He sticks to reading my posts and those of a select few other. Haha

I didn't hear Butch tell any racist jokes

Nobody expected either one of them to do jack at this same stage, either....so what's your point? If you didn't know Cam Newton would make such an impact until halfway through the season, how in the hell do you know Worley or Peterman won't burst onto the scene, this year? You don't.

Nobody was anointing Johnny Football or Cam Newton as Heisman candidates prior to their first fall camp.

this is true

So you knew Johnny Football was going to put up those numbers last year? Doubtful. He was a 3 star you know, and before the season started you must likely didn't even know who he was.

I'm not saying we win 7+ this year, but besides bama, fl, Oregon, and Ga i see all the other games as "winnable".

A&M probably didn't know what they had as they redshirted him his first year. While it would be a pleasant surprise I think Workey will do great things; however, not win a heisman. Although, I would like my crow medium rare with a loaded baked potato if I'm wrong lol

better than 2009? No, we have a guy with good speed who can't hit holes and a guy who can hit holes but lacks top end speed.

maybe but only Worley has even played a college game and he didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. There is no proof any will be great QB's. Sure we all hope they will be but there is no reason to believe that right now besides blind optimism

this season is likely to be rough and I'm usually one of the biggest consumers of koolaid around
I have not been the biggest Worley fan, but this offense seems to suit him a lot better than the conventional one that Chaney ran, and in all fairness to Worley...he had a 65% completion percentage last year. That's actually pretty darned good.

Justin Worley Stats, News, Videos, Pictures, Bio - Tennessee Volunteers - ESPN

Munchie Legaux had a horrible completion percentage and Butch was able to win most of their games despite that fact. He benched him in favor of Kay, who had a 63% CP, and they won all the rest of the games, except against Rutgers.

I think having two easy opponents to start off the season gives us ample opportunity to determine who is able to lead the offense.

Last edited:
Heath Shuler, Peyton Manning, Casey Clausen, and Eric Ainge never had this kind of talent and size in a WR group.

I think you make some reasonable points, but I think this goes too far. One has to also consider how much faster defenses are now than then. That compensates for whatever size and speed you mention.

I think you make some reasonable points, but I think this goes too far. One has to also consider how much faster defenses are now than then. That compensates for whatever size and speed you mention.
I predicted that our size and talent would be hard to handle last year. That was an accurate prediction. We all knew Patterson was raw and had not played at this level before. Didn't stop him and Hunter from playing well enough to get drafted early. I made that prediction, assuming DaRick Rogers was going to be on the sqaud. He botched that up. Had he not, it would have been utter hell for defenses to handle those 3.

If we had hired Randy Shannon as the DC, we would have run a familiar 4-3 scheme and the defense would have been MUCH, MUCH better = at least 3-4 more wins last year.

I firmly believe Croom is going to have a big year, if he can stay healthy. Paul Harris and North lined up in the same set with Croom will present at least one bad matchup. And you can believe Butch will pick on that person....often.

I want to believe that we have the raw talent to make it to 8 wins, but which teams are we going to beat? Lets assume we get APSU, WKU, Kentucky, Vandy, South Alabama, Auburn, and Mizzou. That's 7, which leaves Oregon, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and USCe.
Sh**, as a group they almost lost fewer games than we won and aren't exactly in a rebuilding mode. We might sneak one against USCe but don't start this 10 win season garbage just because we are hot in recruiting.

I'd hate to live up to some of the expectations on here. Hell, lets see if CBJ can even coach in the SEC yet.

Personally, it pisses me off to hear so many people predicting a 6-6 season and just low expectations in general. We have 4* talent at practically every starting position, and the best OL we've had in several years. We have the biggest group of WR's we've had in UT history.

We have two senior DE's that were 4* recruits (J. Smith was a 5* at one point). We have a mountain for a DT, who will likely be a 1st Rd draft pick. We will have one of the best LB groups in the SEC....3 All-SEC caliber safeties. With all of this in mind, why is our own fanbase selling our team so short? Dooley IS NOT here any longer.

We have witnessed 2 SEC teams in the past few years break out of the doldrums with 1st yr HC's and with low expectations (Auburn in 2010, and TAM last year). Why not just say that you really don't know?

Who cares what some recruiting service rated them years ago? We've seen them on the field and haven't seen legitimate SEC-level talent at D-line or CB (particularly CB). We don't have a single D-lineman that is a pass rushing threat. On offense, the RBs have been average at best and the QBs are completely unproven, not to mention the WRs that we hope will be good but have no idea at this point. I'm like the optimism but don't pretend 6-6 isn't a reasonable prediction.

Reactions: 2 people
Haha but I will say we don't think we are going 12-0 like some fan bases would, we would be content with a 7 win season and ecstatic with an 8+ win season this year.

The fan base may not expect us to go 12-0 but I've heard several players say that's what they're expecting and I think they truly mean it too. Now I don't put the odds of that actually happening very high but Butch and this staff have changed the attitudes and mindset of this entire team to where they seriously think they're gonna win every game. They're showing that's exactly how they feel with the way they're working out this summer.

I think we'll be better than most think and definitely make a bowl game. Yes, we have some question marks but it's not like we don't have talent that with good coaching could surprise some people. Regardless of the win loss record I think we'll see this team give everything they've got for every minute of every game this season no matter what the scoreboard says. I damn sure can't say I saw that in every game the last three years.

I tell you what. If the posters in this thread who are angry about those predicting 6-6 get pissed and trash CBJ when he actually goes 6-6 this fall (like Saban, Carroll, and Muschamp in their first years), I will loading up my ignore list. Lots of unreasonable homers in this thread IMO.

I expect great things from CBJ, just not this year. 6-6 is an entirely reasonable expectation.

Reactions: 2 people
Poor lil ole UT. They just puny against those big ole bad boys from Bammer, Gatorland, Stevie's Game Chicken farm, and Bowwowville. Why even those Quackers are going to bite ole Smokey and scare him down the hollar. And we all know Clay Travis' girlfriend is a meany.

Some of you VN royalty need to quit being apologists for the dumb hiring decisions of the UTAD. The talent has been there for the past several years. Coaching matters. Hart got lucky and we are the beneficiaries. You can have great talent and lousy coaching and lose a lot of games in football becuase it is a disciplined, tough, physical sport with eleven guys going against another eleven guys in organized chaos. That means there has to be good coaching for development and game management purposes. We now have good coaching to go with a very experienced team in all positions except QB and WR - where we have top SEC talent.

What was Bama and LSU before Saban? Us - before Jones. They were starting with worse talent and experience under him than we have now. Get over your whining, wimpy selves and expect success.

Reactions: 4 people
The games that are going to be the biggest problems for us are Florida and SC. I don't think coach jones has ever seen anything like those teams before. Coach jones is a great in game coach but Florida especially is chaos in action. There are no rules. There are no game plans. Their only game plan is to confuse the hell out of their opponents. And then, when you are caught like a deer in the headlights, they beat you on physical ability being Florida. They are like a Mexican street boxer, there is no fair fight. I don't think coach jones has seen that kind of game before. SC is a very similar defense and quarterback. They are very similar. All other games are on the table.

Who cares what some recruiting service rated them years ago? We've seen them on the field and haven't seen legitimate SEC-level talent at D-line or CB (particularly CB). We don't have a single D-lineman that is a pass rushing threat. On offense, the RBs have been average at best and the QBs are completely unproven, not to mention the WRs that we hope will be good but have no idea at this point. I'm like the optimism but don't pretend 6-6 isn't a reasonable prediction.
When you have the battered wife syndrome, this team probably does look like dog meat. It's amazing that people expect a lot less for this team, with more talent, than the 07 team that went to the SECC game, with less talent.

It does matter what recruiting services thought...because folks like you would point to their low rating if that were indeed the case. You'd be saying...."look man, we're playing 4-5* talent with a bunch of 2-3*s." You can't have it both ways.

The fact is, there is a hell of a lot more DLine talent than we've had in several years. J. Smith was a solid 4-3 DE when he was a freshman and Soph. I expect he will have a big year, as a senior. Same with Corey Miller. He was asked to play out of his natural position until this year. Then we have Lewis, J.Williams, Carr, and Vareen behind them.

Between Big Mac, Couch, O'Brien, Walls, Carson, Saulsberry and Clark, we have a pretty good group at DT. Big Mac was penetrating the OL during the whole O/W game. He'll have a bigger impact this year than last year. Why? Cause in a 4-3, he was asked just to eat up space. Now, he's asked to collapse the middle of the LOS...and he's well able to do just that.

I tell you what. If the posters in this thread who are angry about those predicting 6-6 get pissed and trash CBJ when he actually goes 6-6 this fall (like Saban, Carroll, and Muschamp in their first years), I will loading up my ignore list. Lots of unreasonable homers in this thread IMO.

I expect great things from CBJ, just not this year. 6-6 is an entirely reasonable expectation.
No, it is not. It's merely relying on the results of the recent PAST. This is a totally new season, with a totally new staff....but the critical point here is...it's a staff that has a winning resume.

We didn't have that with Kiffin, nor Dooley. But what we did do in that time is recruit enough talent not to leave Butch and company an empty cupboard.

People underestimate just how important it is to play for a coach you can believe in. Kiffin came in with an abysmal record as a HC. Players and recruits alike had little confidence in him...despite the fact Kiffin was under Al Davis' thumb.

Same goes with Dooley. I cannot figure out why Hamilton would take a guy with a losing record, just because he was a position coach under Saban and had a daddy that was a long time SEC coach. Doesn't buy a dime's worth of confidence from the players or recruits.

This is why I believe we are seeing recruiting blow up and hit record levels. Players and recruits can look at CBJ's past record as a HC and see that he does know how to win and do so on a fairly consistent basis

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back