Cigar /Pipe Smoking thread

Ok a review of the Siglo VI.

IMG_2463.jpeg

Prelight - First of all, the smell was absolutely gorgeous. everything tightly packed but still room to draw. Prelight draw is firm even with a straight cut but not overtight.
First third - so smooth it amazing. Once past the foot, it settles into leather and very smooth milk chocolate. Not strong on the chocolate flavors as is my usual want but still very good. A creaminess to things. Feels mild/medium The tobacco flavor noted here is like the ideal, perfectly what you would think was the flavor of tobaco without anything "bad" in it, a richness like leather in a Bentley
Middle third - shift into definable notes of cedar and nutmeg or...cinnamon, yes, cinnamon is what I am tasting - about midway here the milk chocolate is gone. definitely a medium here
Last third - similar to the middle but building in strength. More spices - not pepper. spices, though I cant tell which ones. medium to medium/full here. I hardly ever retrohale (too overpowering for me) but I could retro every 3rd puff or so with this, it was so darn smooth though I refrained toward the end.

Was maybe a 90 min stick. Smoked a bit faster than I expected (tho not too quick), perhaps because I had my table top straight cut instead of a punch so i got max draw.

The build was a perfect ash, white on the outside and inside a dark grey.

The smoke was billows of redolent haze, with a shape that curled around in the air like a living personification of the spirit of cigars.

So that is my take on it. Needless to say, it was mighty tasty indeed. Fortunately, 24 more of those to go :D

I know some like the shorter Siglo IV, and this is a common refrain when it comes to BHKs - probably because of how the medio tiempo leaf is worked in - but I loved the smoothness of the first third that allowed it to build.

Really a top top cigar (but of course, we are talking Cuban Cohibas). Going to break out my Mccallans or blantons for the next one. perfect pairing.

Last edited:

View attachment 568213

Prelight - First of all, the smell was absolutely gorgeous. everything tightly packed but still room to draw. Prelight draw is firm even with a straight cut but not overtight.
First third - so smooth it amazing. Once past the foot, it settles into leather and very smooth milk chocolate. Not strong on the chocolate flavors as is my usual want but still very good. A creaminess to things. Feels mild/medium The tobacco flavor noted here is like the ideal, perfectly what you would think was the flavor of tobaco without anything "bad" in it, a richness like leather in a Bentley
Middle third - shift into definable notes of cedar and nutmeg or...cinnamon, yes, cinnamon is what I am tasting - about midway here the milk chocolate is gone. definitely a medium here
Last third - similar to the middle but building in strength. More spices - not pepper. spices, though I cant tell which ones. medium to medium/full here. I hardly ever retrohale (too overpowering for me) but I could retro every 3rd puff or so with this, it was so darn smooth though I refrained toward the end.

Was maybe a 90 min stick. Smoked a bit faster than I expected (tho not too quick), perhaps because I had my table top straight cut instead of a punch so i got max draw.

The smoke was billows of redolent haze, with a shape that curled around in the air like a living personification of the spirit of cigars.

So that is my take on it. Needless to say, it was mighty tasty indeed. Fortunately, 24 more of those to go :D

I know some like the shorter Siglo IV, and this is a common refrain when it comes to BHKs - probably because of how the medio tiempo leaf is worked in - but I loved the smoothness of the first third that allowed it to build.

Really a top top cigar (but of course, we are talking Cuban Cohibas). Going to break out my Mccallans or blantons for the next one. perfect pairing.

That sounds wonderful. I almost bought a cohiba red dot my last trip to the pit but I bought the RP sixty instead. They were both almost 30$ so I just got the RP. I really liked the RP and I would recommend it if you’ve never tried it. It was a box rapped, nice smooth flavor and a great draw. The burn was perfect also, no touch ups.

Reactions: malinoisvol
That sounds wonderful. I almost bought a cohiba red dot my last trip to the pit but I bought the RP sixty instead. They were both almost 30$ so I just got the RP. I really liked the RP and I would recommend it if you’ve never tried it. It was a box rapped, nice smooth flavor and a great draw. The burn was perfect also, no touch ups.

Dont waste money on the non-cuban cohibas unless you can get them with discounts in a 5 pack fever, for example. They are not on the same planet as Siglos

I have heard good things about the Sixty. Will definitely get around to trying it.

@loggervol, I will second @Gandalf on Thompson’s five-pack fever. When the Cohibas are in stock, make the ones you want to try among the four five packs you select. Red dots, Maccasars, and Connecticuts are worth the reduced price when you include them in a 20 cigar purchase. In my humble opinion, they are enjoyable enough to smoke five of them.

Reactions: loggervol and txbo
Hole #1 at Victoria National on a work trip with a Brick House Maduro. Smoked better than I played.
Nice smoke. Nice course. Haven't been there in many years. Does it still have that pristene bentgrass from tee to green?

Yesterday’s Oliva O maduro robusto and this morning’s cool rain has prompted me to light up a Oliva Master Blends 3 robusto. Strong initial notes of chocolate and leather, added notes of coffee as I get into the first third. This is going to be a rich, earthy smoke, I suspect.

Edit: Rich and earthy, yes, but smooth through the middle third. A very good cigar.

Last edited:
Yesterday’s Oliva O maduro robusto and this morning’s cool rain has prompted me to light up a Oliva Master Blends 3 robusto. Strong initial notes of chocolate and leather, added notes of coffee as I get into the first third. This is going to be a rich, earthy smoke, I suspect.

Edit: Rich and earthy, yes, but smooth through the middle third. A very good cigar.

Sounds good. I have a serie O toro that I’m planning to enjoy this weekend while trying to catch some of the meteor shower. Maybe with something decaf. I gave up alcohol years ago.

View attachment 568213

If you're ever looking to offload one, I'd be interested in buying one from you. It sounds absolutely tasty.

A rare day, I’m smoking a second cigar. This time, a sungrown Oliva O robusto. Light up is a bit spicy. Its contrast to the sweetness of the Tennessee sipping whiskey is perfect.

Reactions: loggervol and txbo
Hole #1 at Victoria National on a work trip with a Brick House Maduro. Smoked better than I played.
And making the turn with a nice serie G

Have wanted to try the brickhouse maduro - some people really do like the brand. Unpretentious but powerful.

The G is not my fav Oliva honestly. Its very dry - I do like the coco powder of it though.

Have wanted to try the brickhouse maduro - some people really do like the brand. Unpretentious but powerful.

The G is not my fav Oliva honestly. It’s very dry - I do like the coco powder of it though.

I like all the Brick House selections I’ve tried, favorite is probably the dbl Connecticut with its baking spice flavorings and lots of smoke.
I would have said chocolate regarding the serie G but cocoa is probably more accurate. I like it.
I honestly can’t pick up on all the different tastes, just know what I like when I have it.
I will say I’m enjoying the Serie O I’m having now hoping to catch some meteor shower action!

VN Store

Back