Clay Travis political commentator

I used to follow his show but the majority of his content does seem political. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to sports though but he's decided politics is more his focus.

Whitlock is almost the same way. However he talks about sports and more cultural issues on his show and not really political issues as much. Whitlock has some great guests on his show and I prefer his show over Clay's show.

Yeah, I kind of miss the old stick when he talked about Sports, Dating, etc. One of his most hilarious topics was whether having a tank would have changed the course of the Battle of Gettysburg. You had random/fun topics. Now it is at least 85% politics. He is no different than Ben Shapiro, Sean Hannity, or Rush Limbaugh (who he replaced).

I used to follow his show but the majority of his content does seem political. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to sports though but he's decided politics is more his focus.

Whitlock is almost the same way. However he talks about sports and more cultural issues on his show and not really political issues as much. Whitlock has some great guests on his show and I prefer his show over Clay's show.

Whitlock is awesome. He will often get invited on Tucker Carlson's show. The guy knows how to breakdown an issue. If the left is Dracula, then Whitlock is garlic.

He was more popular than you think because he was showing the numbers all of the time and bragging about it when comparing to ESPN when it came to growth. Fox knew what they were doing. When it came to the SEC region, the only show that was stronger was likely Finebaum.

I wouldn't measure popularity by growth. Total audience is a better number. Also, Fox is putting him in front of their own audience so it's hard to parse out what he brings and what is brought to him. People downloading his pod are specifically saying "I'm here to listen to Clay Travis" and he wasn't top 50.

It's like when the UFC was the "fastest growing sport" and it's still like the 7th most popular sport 15 years later.

Reactions: ZZ13
Maybe, but he's never struck me as all that smart. Smarter than his target audience, sure.

Travis is pretty smart, he’s made a pretty good chunk of change getting people to listen to him. He’s like Finebaum, someone who you really want to think is an idiot but idiots don’t make that kinda money.

He plans on running at some point based on communications. It isn't about being "smart" it is about "hubris" that drives most of these people to run. They think they can change the world only to find out that our system is too complex to make much of a difference.

If he runs for office I will retract my “smart” label for him.

Like him or not, Travis is certainly a smart guy. In addition, 90% of what he said about COVID (and was attacked for) has turned out to be true.

I wouldn't measure popularity by growth. Total audience is a better number. Also, Fox is putting him in front of their own audience so it's hard to parse out what he brings and what is brought to him. People downloading his pod are specifically saying "I'm here to listen to Clay Travis" and he wasn't top 50.

It's like when the UFC was the "fastest growing sport" and it's still like the 7th most popular sport 15 years later.

I can see that but I was pretty sure he was high up there. Sure he is no where near a major sports station, especially ESPN. ESPN just dominates the sports world and probably will always dominate it because they got most of the sports live on their station and that is what they are generally known for.

I can see that but I was pretty sure he was high up there. Sure he is no where near a major sports station, especially ESPN. ESPN just dominates the sports world and probably will always dominate it because they got most of the sports live on their station and that is what they are generally known for.

Is ESPN benefitting from a Disney package deal with consumers?

I'm not comparing him to ESPN. I'm comparing him to other podcasters. I don't think ESPN or Fox have a top 10 podcaster. There is far less gatekeeping with podcasting, so the best man wins, not the person the best network picks.

Just logged in and have Fox News on and there was Clay giving political commentary on the mid-term elections. WTF. How did this happen? Last I saw of him he was on SECNW talking sports.

He's been doing politics for a while now.

You do know he and Buck Sexton took over the coveted Rush Limbaugh show it's now The Clay & Buck Show.

I'm not comparing him to ESPN. I'm comparing him to other podcasters. I don't think ESPN or Fox have a top 10 podcaster. There is far less gatekeeping with podcasting, so the best man wins, not the person the best network picks.

List the 50 ahead of him. I am pretty sure Clay Travis was in the top 25, at least, of podcasters (especially if you don't count podcasts from the major networks like ESPN, CBS, etc.).

List the 50 ahead of him. I am pretty sure Clay Travis was in the top 25, at least, of podcasters (especially if you don't count podcasts from the major networks like ESPN, CBS, etc.).

This comes from the apple rankings from a year ago. I only remember because I looked it up when he sold to Fox and I posted this:

I went low for the sake of the point but he's not even in the same business as barstool. They have the #1 pod and three in the top 20 and the pizza stuff is Portnoy's biggest thing, and that's outside of sports podding. The Ringer has the #2 and #8 show, and five top 40 shows and that's not counting the non sports stuff those guys do. Clay's show isn't even top 50.

This is all based on apple downloads

I would be in that 1%…. I wish sports personalities would shut up about it.

Yeah but to be fair, players start protesting and then that is why the personalities talk about it. I don't really agree with shutting up the players even when I disagree with their politics.

However, I highly sympathize with people not wanting it in sports because you watch sports most of the time to escape crap like politics.

Reactions: BreatheUT
He got rich in part by pandering to a conservative base. Smartly, he has doubled down.
The biggest shock coming for the left wing….November 2022 when they discover that what they deride as the „conservative base“ has grown to include staggering number of erstwhile independents and moderates (and a Not inconsequential number of Hispanics).

The biggest shock coming for the left wing….November 2022 when they discover that what they deride as the „conservative base“ has grown to include staggering number of erstwhile independents and moderates (and a Not inconsequential number of Hispanics).
People said the same thing 2020....yawn. BTW your post is barely legible but par for the course I suppose.

And BTW I hope the independents do make some noise. The Democratic candidates have been pretty bad lately. If Trump wasn't so damn stupid he would have cake-walked to a 2nd term.

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back