Coach Heupel is a very strong Christian

Uhhh....why is this in the political forum? Or does every atheist simply feel the need to piddle on it so they can please their master (whom they presume to be themselves). The OP's post seemed much more about CJH's personal faith rather than anything to do with politics.

little-girl.gif

Most would say they do not worship anything at all, which is by default an attempt to set themselves up as "god" of their own little subjective universe. Worshipping the man in the mirror is one of the greatest deceptions ever pulled off by the father of lies. I used to think that way myself when i was a teenager...not that I thought i was great or anything, I always knew I was quite flawed...but thinking that if I chose not to believe that I was somehow the master of my own fate. As if I would somehow not have to stand before Almighty God and be judged if I didnt believe in Him? Thats an extremely foolish notion...but widespread and deadly. All of us are like Thelma and Louise, barrelling towards the Grand Canyon of Death at breakneck speed in a beat up convertible. It matters not if we believe in the huge chasm in front of us...ultimately we will find its bottom and the certain death which the plummet to the rocks below requires. It simply doesn't matter if we believe in God, as it pertains to whether or not we will all have to one day be judged by Him. Many people believe they can in fact spend their whole lives seeking to please only themselves and being horrible to God and those around them without consequence. They will still have to stand before the God they refused to believe in and be judged just like everyone else. It seems that this particular deception is one of the enemy's favorite tools. Sure fooled me, and I have a couple friends who still think this way too.

Edit: as usual i just banged out my thoughts with my 2 thumbs immediately after reading your post and didnt pause to reflect on my own post before sending it. I just want to make sure that I didnt come across the wrong way..."Holier than thou" is 1 of the worst attitudes a person can have. Thats not me, and those who have read my posts over the years hopefully know that, but just to be sure: i am just a lowly sinner. I fail God every single day by sins of both omission and commission. The things I don't do as well as the things that I do. I am and will never be in a position to judge anyone, nor do I want to be. Thankfully that task is not mine. My thoughts above are just an observation about sin that i have seen in myself and others, and what I believe to be a great deception that is pretty common. I hope that I did not offend anyone or come across as hypocritical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf
Unfortunately, the Legion of Miserables has to wage full-scale internet war against anything that resembles Christian behavior in public. Heaven forbid that we obey Biblical instruction during such activities as preparation for an athletic event, a school day, or large gatherings.

If it's any consolation I have no problem with any religious displays in sporting events.

I hope you enjoyed dinner. That's a real treat.

Honestly, I pray tonight that God softens your heart. It's obvious that something has happened in your past to turn you off to Christianity and the salvation afforded. For that, I'm very sorry. It's not hard to find examples of misrepresentation of the Gospel and self-proclaimed Christians who do not understand truth and the freedom from sin (which is very real) it allows.

I, too, was turned off earlier in life. But I'm thankful every day that God offered His grace in calling me back to the fold. I'm a sinner, for sure, but it is incredible to learn what He offers.

Great post.... I to am so thankfuk for Gods grace....I think so many people have been turned off by "religion" because of how so many modern day Christians basically look down their nose at all of the "sinners" around them and think that they are so much better then others because of the lifestyle that they live and all of the "good things" they do and the things that they don't do. What so many so called " Christians" don't realize is they are nothing more then modern day Pharasees when they referr to other people as sinners and think of themselves as something better then these sinners.

Obviously, I'm bored, so here I go.

First, God doesn't care about football, as it has no relevance to His message and intent toward humanity. As for it being a sin, there might be grounds for that argument. In the USA, we have rituals before and during games. One is, we stand before an image and pledge dedication to that image. Two, is we have a hymn of sorts we sing in honor of that image. We also have hymns of a sort sung at specific intervals during the game. Further, many of us are given or buy images of reverenced game "saints" we hang on our walls, or display in other ways. Some of us even have a kind of meal, not necessarily a supper, In honor of the event. And Saturday "best clothes" as a part of our worship of the team. We even have chants to provoke a result or outcome when our gods are in a tight spot. Finally, we have a church or location and a day for congregating to worship our player gods. The bulk of what I say, are direct violations of the Ten Commandments, so I guess you can call football games a sin.

[Hiding under the house from enraged football fans.]
I can’t speak for everyone, but I’ve never been enraged by you. When I read your posts I envision a goofy little county man doing his best Jed Clampett impersonation….. but never any anger

Great post.... I to am so thankfuk for Gods grace....I think so many people have been turned off by "religion" because of how so many modern day Christians basically look down their nose at all of the "sinners" around them and think that they are so much better then others because of the lifestyle that they live and all of the "good things" they do and the things that they don't do. What so many so called " Christians" don't realize is they are nothing more then modern day Pharasees when they referr to other people as sinners and think of themselves as something better then these sinners.

I would say that Christians are indeed “better “ than those “sinners”, else what would be the point? They are a new creation in Christ. The folly however, is thinking that their improved status has anything whatsoever to do with their own merit.

Too many Christians, having been saved by grace, then go about trying to obtain Godliness through their own works. And then it follows that they think those works make them better people than the sinners they look down upon.

I agree. I actually came back here just to edit my post at nearly 1am and saw yours after I edited my own. I dont think my post came across in the way you describe before I added the edit at the bottom, but I was worried that it would. Good post bud.

I would say that Christians are indeed “better “ than those “sinners”, else what would be the point? They are a new creation in Christ. The folly however, is thinking that their improved status has anything whatsoever to do with their own merit.

Too many Christians, having been saved by grace, then go about trying to obtain Godliness through their own works. And then it follows that they think those works make them better people than the sinners they look down upon.

I think thats why God said the only requirement for salvation is true faith in Him...no works. "Lest any man should boast". He knew if it was faith plus works...faith plus anything we as humans had to do...that we would try to take all or part of the credit because of our foolish pride. Pride is the root cause of nearly every sin. Thats why He explicitly and repeatedly reminds us that He hates it. Pride is devious and can take many forms in our lives, often times without us even knowing it. I know that it has in my own life, and I have nothing really to be proud of. All of the good things in my life are gifts from Him.

I agree. I actually came back here just to edit my post at nearly 1am and saw yours after I edited my own. I dont think my post came across in the way you describe before I added the edit at the bottom, but I was worried that it would. Good post bud.
To be honest I did not even see your post. I was simply posting what's been my personal experience having spent my entire life going to church and doing all of the "right things" and in the back of my mind thinking these things that I did were earning my Salvation when in reality there is nothing that I can do on my own.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I’ve never been enraged by you. When I read your posts I envision a goofy little county man doing his best Jed Clampett impersonation….. but never any anger
Well, thanks for the compliment. Ole Jed had a country hill folks wisdom that overshadow the tomfoolery of so-called smarter folks. So putting me in the category of one of my heroes is an honor, thank you!

I think thats why God said the only requirement for salvation is true faith in Him...no works. "Lest any man should boast". He knew if it was faith plus works...faith plus anything we as humans had to do...that we would try to take all or part of the credit because of our foolish pride. Pride is the root cause of nearly every sin. Thats why He explicitly and repeatedly reminds us that He hates it. Pride is devious and can take many forms in our lives, often times without us even knowing it. I know that it has in my own life, and I have nothing really to be proud of. All of the good things in my life are gifts from Him.
I won't presume to preach here. That is, beyond the fact that people have a distorted view of the Biblical message due to churches breaking in pieces they PREFER to believe as opposed to what it ACTUALLY says. So I will lead off with a quote from an old introductory phrase from the Marvel characters Cloak and Dagger, the Biblical segment. The darkness and the light are both alike, without one there would not be the other. And thus, I give you - James 2:14-26

It's why I read the Bible in the same way I read any other book, along with explore books detailing era and regional history, politics, socio-culture influence, natural events and other factors. Which at times does enrage folks. For example, I once explained that a plant grows in the area Moses saw the burning bush. The Dictamnus albus bush exudes a volatile waxy substance. Sunlight shinning through dew droplets act as a magnifying glass and ignite this waxy oil. It burns with a degree of robustness, but doesn't harm the plant. Boy, oh, boy! My mistake. Got cussed out for denying a miracle, which was stupid, because stop and think. Who created such an incredible plant that flashes aflame yet isn't consumed by the fire? Isn't that itself a miracle? So people, fully indoctrinated into clip and paste Bible-reading designed to standardize rigid thinking instead of knowledge, will always have a shattered, contradictory, and inaccurate understanding of the book they claim to reverend.

Most do not understand that not only justification is through Christ's work but also sanctification. It is God working within us to help us conform to His image. We are to hate sin but realize that without God's help and continuing redemptive work in us, we would just keep on sinning.

Most do not understand that not only justification is through Christ's work but also sanctification. It is God working within us to help us conform to His image. We are to hate sin but realize that without God's help and continuing redemptive work in us, we would just keep on sinning.
Yup, salvation and justification are only the beginning of the journey. And the further we go, the more we realize the absolute inability of our own righteousness to get us anywhere. We end up like Paul seeing ourselves as the chiefest of sinners. And we become more thankful for the gift of grace
7924EEE8-BD86-49EF-969E-51FF604FEAAE.jpeg5C08BA47-E23E-4567-9DEB-3CD5738E5728.jpeg

If it's not a requirement to pray, why would anyone care? Especially when it is done in a private, closed door environment? I have first hand experience with it from 40 years ago. No one was required to do it. It happened. It might have been the most Christian ritual of at least half of those participated

VN Store

Back