Coach Kellie Harper

Do you want Coach Harper to return or hire new Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but this is just an inaccurate view of the state of the Lady Vol program. Respectfully, the statistics don't bear anything out that you said. Over 5 years, her winning percentage is worse than Holly's. Kelli is 40-22 over the last two seasons. That's a 65% winning percentage. You have to go back nearly 50 years to the 1974-75, and 75-76 seasons (Pat Summit's first two seasons at UT to find a lower winning percentage over two years in Lady Vol basketball history.

Tennessee Lady Vols averaged attendance:

2015-2016 (10,412)
2016-2017 (9,184)
2017-2018 (8,788)
2018-2019 (8,028)
2019-2020 (8,645)
2021-2022 (7,477)

That is the definition of a "Diminishing Brand" not one that is healthy. Keep in mind, that all of this is occurring during a time of immense growth in viewership of the women's game. In 1998, The Lady Vols broke the NCAA attendance record with over 24,000 fans in attendance for TN versus Uconn. In 2023, Iowa broke the record with 55,000.

Again, no final four appearances in 15 years.

Our brand is not strong in comparison to the elite teams in the game. Separate out any feelings you have towards Kelli and look at it objectively. Our program has historically never been weaker and each year that passes with us being "average" further relegates us to the "has-beens" in women's basketball history.
Our average attendance was over 9000 this year 😇

Reactions: VOLSanon and glv98
A new athletic director was hired in 2011, Dave Hart, who decided to merge the unique, separate women's athletic department into the men's and end the 'Lady Volunteer' brand. I was/am not 'big money' but I always bought a table at that fundraiser (and danced with Pat one time!). He ended that fundraiser and I was never asked to donate again, as were the 'big money' donors. Those relationships ended and have never been regained in the NIL era. If we had those people involved now, our NIL would be much better funded.

I look forward to hearing how people will attempt to flat out deny your story or tell you how you're wrong or mistaken or whatever. They'll probably demand you share photos of you dancing with Pat -- and even if you had and shared such photos, they'd say it doesn't prove anything. "Pat was already washed up, that photo doesn't mean anything!"

Well, actually, I don't look forward to it, but oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure you understand head to head. No tie, just 5th. Might want to plead it now
Lol how do u not understand how conference champions work… everyone doesn’t play the same schedule so all wins are equal. That’s literally just a tie break to decide

As I've said ad nasuem, the lack of professional fund development for the LVs is astonishing. And if even I know it's a huge problem, why the heck isn't someone doing something about it? Why isn't someone working on resestablishing those relationships?

How do you know that?
This is my question, as well. If the relationships were disrepaired that many years ago, then why hasn’t anyone involved started rebuilding those relationships in over a decade instead of depending on individuals for chump change? Where is the disconnect? Were they damaged beyond repair? Who or what is responsible for the relationship building/development? If they know it’s a problem that is so bad that we can’t even field a top 25 roster, then who is doing anything to correct it? I read the recruiting forum and LAVOL who seems very well connected to the AD said that ALL programs are being given what they need to succeed including the Lady Vols. If that’s the case, then what is missing? I have my theories but those are not facts.

Tbh, and I am not Advocating this at all of course, but in opposition to your premise, actually the worse it gets the more inclined a coach would see it as an opportunity. That’s how it works.
Didn't really work that way for the VOLS football. They were throwing money at people and nobody but Heupel wanted to come to the dumpster fire.

Attendance for this year hasn’t been posted on the NCAA’s website. Attendance has been up across the board in women’s basketball, while we have seen maybe a slight increase this year. Even if we increased this year, it is attributable to the increase in demand for the sport, not success by Kelli or the team. I’d bet money that we lose further ground nationally even if we saw an increase this year.
The top 15 attendance teams last year, with their attendance numbers last year and this year:
- South Carolina: 12,942 last year vs. 16,489 this year
- Iowa: 11,143 vs. 14,998
- Iowa State: 10,323 vs. 10,007
- UConn: 10,255 vs. 11,307
- Louisville: 8,779 vs. 8,640
- LSU: 8,733 vs. 11,491
- Tennessee: 8,150 vs. 8,880
- Indiana: 8,104 vs. 10,038
- Arizona: 7,679 vs. 7,333
- Maryland: 7,132 vs. 7,545
- Ohio State: 5,955 vs. 7,559
- Texas: 5,794 vs. 6,590
- Nebraska: 5,761 vs. 6,088
- Oregon: 5,658 vs. 5,723
- Notre Dame: 5,124 vs. 6,098

So you're generally right that most programs are trending upwards. You would lose your bet that we lost further ground. Indiana passed us but we passed Louisville so looks like we're 7th again this year unless another team made a huge jump.

Virginia Tech is the only non-Final Four team from last year here, and they were at 6,338 this year (big increase from 3,638 last year). Looks like those four Final Four teams, plus Indiana, who was a 1-seed, all had the biggest jumps, which makes sense. We're definitely not there yet.

Prob most of my friends on here from the past 10 years don’t ever venture onto a SC WBB site/thread, but I can assure you that those fans are not thinking another round with UT in the SEC tourney will be a cakewalk, much respect in those places for how UT matches up with SC. For what it’s worth, CKH has her team positioned currently where the number one ranked team in the nation does not take them for granted in the least, both games have been battles so far.

Last edited:
Prob most of my friends on here from the past 10 years don’t ever venture onto a SC WBB site/thread, but I can assure you that those fans are not thinking another round with UT in the SEC tourney will be a cakewalk, much respect in those places for how UT matches up with SC. For what it’s worth, CKH has her team positioned currently where the number one ranked team in the nation does not take them for granted in the least, both games have been battles so far.

Oh man. Dawn respects us. We definitely need to keep Kelli!

Lol how do u not understand how conference champions work… everyone doesn’t play the same schedule so all wins are equal. That’s literally just a tie break to decide
I understand just fine. Except the top 4 teams are getting a double bye, we unfortunately are not. You can claim we got fourth, we are playing as the 5th.
Please by all means, celebrate 4th the standard is now moved again. It was 3rd by default, now look where we are.

Beats claiming 3rd and playing as the 6 seed.

Reactions: knoxvol52
"it is what it is"
Can we needlepoint that on a pillow!!

Her teams are out of shape and worse, NON athletic.
They dont act or look like they want to be here!
Very little energy or passion.
Some have mentioned its NILs Fault???

It IS unacceptable that the LVs have fallen to this level.
It IS not going to get better with CKH in place.
It IS going to get worse!
And dont give me the line about replacing an Icon, she didnt replace an Icon, it was Holly!
Holly destroyed it and Kelly is NOT the one who is going to build it back!!
I couldn’t have said that better you are 100 % right

I think she will return, I’m not sure she should return. I don’t think they can/will put the money into what it would take to get a great coach like Walz. The program is losing money (as are the winning programs like LSU) so I don’t see them being crazy with money for a new coach.

Tbh, her team has played SC better than almost all others, prob all others tbh considering the game @ SC this year, in two matchups no less. Spin that how you will.
She don’t would us look if she wanted to beat us bad she could turn it up

I think she will return, I’m not sure she should return. I don’t think they can/will put the money into what it would take to get a great coach like Walz. The program is losing money (as are the winning programs like LSU) so I don’t see them being crazy with money for a new coach.
what is people obsession with this man? He’s not a person who would succeed and win us championships. He never has. Shoot for the stars on a hire or don’t change at all.

I haven't decided yet. IMO it depends on how we perform in the NCAA. That is what the entire season builds too. Elite 8 is my pre season benchmark and imma stick to that for now. She has what she Brung minus wells. Let's Dance

Photo from the 2011 women's basketball championship. My Facebook "memories" send me pics from the past this time of year that makes me incredibly sad to see where this program currently is. Look at all that orange in the stands. You would roll into Greenville, SC every year with a massive sea of orange. We were loud. We were proud. Now, we argue on Volnation about if 17-11 is "good enough." No one will ever convince me this program can't be great again. I refuse to believe it. Put a great coach at the helm and watch this fanbase fill the arenas week in and week out. We are starving for wins, Danny.

View attachment 624778
And hoping so that a team lose so we can get in the tournament or hope for at least a 9 seed that’s not the way it needs to be this can be a top five every year with the right coach

Limited resources I tell you.

So, just curious ... since you're citing the 85 million as proof of non-limited resources, how should Harper go about getting some of that 85 million? From what I read, the 85 million was largely coming from the Food City sponsorship of TBA. They get so many million per year, and they'll use that to pay down the loans over the years of the sponsorship. So, should Harper just go to White and put her foot down to get 2 million for NIL? How do they funnel that to the LVBHC? Should they use shell companies? Or Chik-Fil-A bags? What's the best way to mule it over to them?

I really wish many of you posters would quit with the comments about "Pat rolling over in her grave". If you knew Pat personally, you would know that isn't so. I did - and what she would do is encourage Kellie to keep fighting like hell to have the team postseason ready. She would tell Kellie she's impressed she is with how far the team has come in February. An SEC season is more of a grind now than it ever could have been when Pat coached... she would be the first to acknowledge that.
That’s bs Pat liked to win she would not be happy with this program

Reactions: tbwhhs and mcannon1
So, just curious ... since you're citing the 85 million as proof of non-limited resources, how should Harper go about getting some of that 85 million? From what I read, the 85 million was largely coming from the Food City sponsorship of TBA. They get so many million per year, and they'll use that to pay down the loans over the years of the sponsorship. So, should Harper just go to White and put her foot down to get 2 million for NIL? How do they funnel that to the LVBHC? Should they use shell companies? Or Chik-Fil-A bags? What's the best way to mule it over to them?
I stated originally that the original poster needed rephrase the term limited resources. Our facilities (resources) are as good as any in the collegiate or professional game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back