Coach Kellie Harper

Do you want Coach Harper to return or hire new Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but this is just an inaccurate view of the state of the Lady Vol program. Respectfully, the statistics don't bear anything out that you said. Over 5 years, her winning percentage is worse than Holly's. Kelli is 40-22 over the last two seasons. That's a 65% winning percentage. You have to go back nearly 50 years to the 1974-75, and 75-76 seasons (Pat Summit's first two seasons at UT to find a lower winning percentage over two years in Lady Vol basketball history.

Tennessee Lady Vols averaged attendance:

2015-2016 (10,412)
2016-2017 (9,184)
2017-2018 (8,788)
2018-2019 (8,028)
2019-2020 (8,645)
2021-2022 (7,477)

That is the definition of a "Diminishing Brand" not one that is healthy. Keep in mind, that all of this is occurring during a time of immense growth in viewership of the women's game. In 1998, The Lady Vols broke the NCAA attendance record with over 24,000 fans in attendance for TN versus Uconn. In 2023, Iowa broke the record with 55,000.

Again, no final four appearances in 15 years.

Our brand is not strong in comparison to the elite teams in the game. Separate out any feelings you have towards Kelli and look at it objectively. Our program has historically never been weaker and each year that passes with us being "average" further relegates us to the "has-beens" in women's basketball history.
Remember she’s 12 out 35 in wins over ranked teams let that sink folks that a long should be reason enough to fire her

I stated originally that the original poster needed rephrase the term limited resources. Our facilities (resources) are as good as an any in the collegiate or professional game.

But the poster's context for "limited resources" was clearly NIL, not facilities. So what does it matter if the facilities are as good as any other? Or is the contention that good facilities should be considered equivalent to NIL resources?

But the poster's context for "limited resources" was clearly NIL, not facilities. So what does it matter if the facilities are as good as any other? Or is the contention that good facilities should be considered equivalent to NIL resources?
That’s why I said rephrase. We have numerous high level resources.

Reactions: Deebowbear
what is people obsession with this man? He’s not a person who would succeed and win us championships. He never has. Shoot for the stars on a hire or don’t change at all.
444-125 record. Took Louisville to a title game. 4 final 4’s. Great recruiter. Your criticism is that he hasn’t won a title? How many women’s head coaches have won a title? Do you think Tennessee would be able to hire a coach who has won a title? If so, you’re delusional.

As far as shooting for the stars or don’t make a change at all, that’s pretty much what I was saying, that they can’t make a great hire, and Walz would be a great hire. Rick Barnes hasn’t won a title either. I did t realize that a coach was t great if he/she hasn’t won a title.

Numbers don’t lie
You are persistent in your message, give you that. But you might be well served to consider some thoughts From both sides instead of being so obstinate in your position. There are positives also to consider. I think next season, as many reasonable fans have stated is the measuring stick. Especially with Texas and Ok coming on board.

Last edited:
She was laughing Sunday over in the bench
Laughing at what? And before you answer, you know this how? Speculation and insinuation is wonderful fodder, but rarely is based upon reality.

Did you also see her spending most of the game in a state of despair and perplexion? She has not figured out how to tame UT against her team in two meetings in spite of having an overwhelming talent disparity, she is frustrated she cannot put the UT team down like most teams this year in spite of her talent advantages. Truth.

Last edited:
Laughing at what? And before you answer, you know this how? Speculation and insinuation is wonderful fodder, but rarely is based upon reality.

Did you also see her spending most of the game in a state of despair and perplexion? She has not figured out how to tame UT against her team in two meetings in spite of having an overwhelming talent disparity, she is frustrated she cannot put the UT team down like most this year In spite of her talent advantages. Truth.
Ok 👍

You are persistent in your message, give you that. But you might be well served to consider some thoughts From both sides instead of being so obstinate in your position. There are positives also to consider. I think next season, as many reasonable fans have stated is the measuring stick.
I have. That’s why I’m where I’m at. In that she’s in over her head. From the start she’s been protected by excuse after excuse. In 20 years of coaching you pretty much are who you are.

I predict Harper comes back and next year is more of the same and possibly a little worse.

Fans of the LVs want this program to be a top 5, at worst top 10 team that competes for the SEC title and FF/E8 spots. Those won't happen under Harper. She's had 5 years and while she hasn't been all bad there is seemingly no progress towards those goals. I don't think another year changes her results no matter who she brings in from the portal.

Also I agree, who would step into this situation? I see some great coaches out there but would many of them leave their current situations? Probably not unless significant money was thrown their way and frankly the department doesn't appear to put as much of an emphasis on WBB as before.

Good summary. Except, Id take exception w what the "fans want". I think most have bought in to the warm and fuzzies of hiring twice from Pat's tree. Until fans really get sick of mediocrity and demand "the absolute best available REGARDLESS of pedigree" then we will languish below LVBB standards. We are slipping from relevance every year. God forbid the fanbase begs for a 3rd dose of "honoring Pats legacy" by hiring a non-elite coach who is from her tree.
Please get the BEST available, regardless. Thats what should have happened after Pat left ... buuut.

Did you also see her spending most of the game in a state of despair and perplexion? She has not figured out how to tame UT against her team in two meetings in spite of having an overwhelming talent disparity, she is frustrated she cannot put the UT team down like most teams this year in spite of her talent advantages. Truth.
She was cutting up with her girls some early....the polls,not Super Tuesday, arresting Fire her! Sad. I agree with the dissenters that next year is the litmus test for Danny White. We were without Rickea for how many key games early? Was it 8? Split those and 17-11 becomes 21-7. What would the tune of dissenters to fire her be? When Rickea came back we were competitive in most games except Geno's team.

Last edited:
She was cutting up with her girls some early....
About what? Tell us. And explain how your thoughts on this are relevant. Then replay the game, and spend equal time telling us what she was thinking for 95% of the game when she was pissed off And frustrated, as she was. She has not figured out how to play best against UT yet, they give her the most challenge.

Last edited:
She was cutting up with her girls some early....the polls,not Super Tuesday, arresting Fire her! Sad. I agree with the dissenters that next year is the litmus test for Danny White. We were without Rickea for how many key games early? Was it 8? Split those and 17-11 becomes 21-7. What would the tune of dissenters to fire her be? When Rickea came back we were competitive in most games except Geno's team.
Geno’s team?

About what? Tell us. And explain how your thoughts on this are relevant. Then replay the game, and spend equal time telling us what she was thinking for 95% of the game when she was pissed off And frustrated, as she was. She has not figured out how to play best against UT yet, they give her the most challenge.
Thankful for your thoughtful post. You're right I'm not relevant. So happy you have me pegged . I only said early laughing. So that means she wasn't laughing later. So thankful(BLUE FONT) for posters like you who assume you know ALL my thoughts so you go ahead with your limited, apparently, assessment of my total opinion. Aren't you glad folks don't do that to you?

Reactions: Deebowbear
Thankful for your thoughtful post. You're right I'm not relevant. So happy you have me pegged . I only said early laughing. So that means she wasn't laughing later. So thankful(BLUE FONT) for posters like you who assume you know ALL my thoughts so you go ahead with your limited, apparently, assessment of my total opinion. Aren't you glad folks don't do that to you?
Why then would you throw out the statement she “was cutting up early with her girls”? What was the purpose beyond the intent everyone knows already?

Uh...Connecticut....that's scary when don't know,apparently, who Geno is...yet can slam me anyway...
What was the score of the UT vs Geno’s team this year?

Vol4gzus said:

You apparently don’t follow UT WBB very closely, yeah, it’s scary how much bs is posted. Irregardless, you should have used SC as your example, UT gave them a fight to the end for two games. UT might play “Geno’s” team next year however big follower.

Last edited:
Prob most of my friends on here from the past 10 years don’t ever venture onto a SC WBB site/thread, but I can assure you that those fans are not thinking another round with UT in the SEC tourney will be a cakewalk, much respect in those places for how UT matches up with SC. For what it’s worth, CKH has her team positioned currently where the number one ranked team in the nation does not take them for granted in the least, both games have been battles so far.
This year has been so weird for us. We're kind of like Oscar in the trash can, can't be happy for being sad about being happy. It is encouraging that we played so well against SC and LSU. You know I was predicting big blowouts. But that's also what's frustrating, we can get close but not quite there. We can never get over the hump and actually win those games. Can't get all our fragile pieces to line up at once, can't get less fragile pieces.

We have lost some ground this year, finishing one spot lower in SEC and not getting the double bye and that's scary. That stretch wo Rickea was obviously disasterous and I think it brought about a mind funk that they've had a hard time pulling out of. Really since she's been back it's just 2 awful games, TAM and Alabama that have drug us down. No coincidence they're two of the worst games of Rickea's career, though she still scored double digits in both.

Sometimes it does feel hopeless and stupid to keep thinking it's going to change big game after big game. Then we get tantalizingly close and it starts over again. I don't doubt Dawn does not want to see us again, esp so soon. For us it will be yet another opportunity to make the much needed breakthru. Or back to the trash can.
When Rickea came back we were competitive in most games except Geno's team.
Probably not competitive w 'Geno's team' when Rickea came back bc we didn't play them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back