Coach Kellie Harper

Do you want Coach Harper to return or hire new Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe coach Kellie will be terminated tomorrow and Matthew Mitchell will be named new coach. That's the reason he didn't take the KY Job this week even though everybody said he would be their new coach. He went to 3 elite eights at KY and his medical problems are over.
With only 4 posts as a member where did you
Get this information???

I believe coach Kellie will be terminated tomorrow and Matthew Mitchell will be named new coach. That's the reason he didn't take the KY Job this week even though everybody said he would be their new coach. He went to 3 elite eights at KY and his medical problems are over.
I hear it will be Andy Landers if White can get him sobered up in time for the Monday morning press conference,

I believe there are ways to get a good understanding of NIL etc. other than talking to players who went elsewhere. There are a few posters on here who have more insight than most and I would tend to give their opinion more weight.
Your true feelings and bias are readily apparent in your school yard name calling of our coach. You obviously would support NIL having no impact in order to demean Kellie.
I believe the true answer is NIL is a big deal for a lot of players but not always the final deciding factor.
I have never hidden the fact that I wasn't happy with the Kellie hire from the beginning. But at the same time, I've resigned myself to the fact that she's the coach until (and really, it's just a matter of time) she isn't. Notice I'm not one of the posters continuously calling for her head? Not that I wouldn't welcome the change if it were to happen this year.

I do agree with your last statement: NIL is a factor, but not the end all be all for recruitment decisions. Hence why I'm pointing out that constantly saying that players like Shade, Booker and ADR were bought when there are a myriad of highly plausable reasons (such as playing for a more decorated and successful coach) that would make perfect sense for said decisions.

I don't think saying someone took the job with the best salary is passing a value judgement on them one way or the other. Kenny Brooks just did exactly that. Doesn't make him a sinner. And taking a job for less doesn't make anyone a saint. No one said that. Just said that starting salary was a factor in some of those decisions. Some have the luxary of considering other factors first, others do not. Don't think there's self righteous involved, just economics.
The thing I don't like about these conversations regarding recruits Kellie lost out on is the absolute CERTAINTY from some of the fanbvase that the only reason they signed elsewhere is because they were paid...as if that was the indisputable deciding factor. None of these recruits have publicly stated as such, so it reeks of sour grapes to paint them in this light and pretend that you know when really no one knows. Like I said in another post, there are a ton of reasons why they could have picked other schools especially since Kellie's resume pales in comparison to the likes of Dawn, Geno, Tara, Vic, Kim, etc. As long as everyone (including UT administration I suppose) accepts this as the gospel, then Kellie will continue to falter in recruiting because she's aiming for the wrong goal.

The thing I don't like about these conversations regarding recruits Kellie lost out on is the absolute CERTAINTY from some of the fanbvase that the only reason they signed elsewhere is because they were paid...as if that was the indisputable deciding factor. None of these recruits have publicly stated as such, so it reeks of sour grapes to paint them in this light and pretend that you know when really no one knows. Like I said in another post, there are a ton of reasons why they could have picked other schools especially since Kellie's resume pales in comparison to the likes of Dawn, Geno, Tara, Vic, Kim, etc. As long as everyone (including UT administration I suppose) accepts this as the gospel, then Kellie will continue to falter in recruiting because she's aiming for the wrong goal.
I actually agree with u in this one, until I hear them say they didn’t come because of a signing bonus I just won’t believe it.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
I actually agree with u in this one, until I hear them say they didn’t come because of a signing bonus I just won’t believe it.
What would any player have to gain by saying, "yeah, I just here for the money". NIL now gets rolled in the standard statements athletes about this being the right place for me..blah, blah, blah.

And again, the moralist keep making this false distinction- you either choose the school for good ole fashioned reasons or the evil temptation of NIL $. NIL is another factor that now enters into the decision making process for recruits For HS recruits, it was more the promise if future NIL (and the system in place to help them) whereas now I believe it can be a direct too for high schoolers.

But, imagine you are looking at different job prospects -- three places are interested in you. Option 1 pays the best, by a decent margin, but for various reasons you don't think you would be happy there. Option 2 feels homey and it seems like the best fit but plays less than 1. Option 3 - is pretty good on the fit and culture. It may not be quite as good as 2 but it has a better starting salary and a much higher earning potential over time.

Which option do you choose. I am betting most people for 2.
If it just about the $, you would go for 1 but people can factor in other quality of life considerations without being oblivious to $.

I appears that the LVs have often been the equivalent of the #2 for many close but not quite recruits

I will add that there is another disadvantage that faces the LVs. Kellie and staff have to sell the idea that you can help get us to the final four, versus saying we have been there and you can get us to a championship.

Right now, Dawn has the championship and the NIL edge.

But, it has to fight when you are climbing uphill against the wind on both fronts.

The question is who would the LVs hire whose record does not pale in comparison to Dawn, Geno, Tara, Vic, and Kim? When you look at the names floated, almost all have weaker resumes than Kellie. Coaches wanting to displace those titans have sell the idea that can do more to help the player develop (both as player as person) -- which seemed to be the Kellie_Rickea connection--and that we can collectively really put this program on the map (also Clark and Iowa) or get it back to the top (the tenneessee narrative0>

If you have to make the sell on culture and potential AND you are hamstrung on NIL, any likely LV coach would lose more than they win on the recruiting front. Her problem is not that she loses them all, she does not win enough because recruiting is a number game. Pissott not working out was a blow (on multiple dimensions). If Kellie had three top ten ranked HS recruits in that class, we would be celebrating the 2 who worked out.

and in Purdue's case, the only real talent that Edey has is standing under the basket and getting fouled.
He stands there too sometimes seven seconds or longer without a three second call. He could've had ten of them yesterday. Hard to guard when he can just stand in there as long as he wants without a call.

I’m just glad TK was able to play this season and was here with us in any capacity.

Her third season she really blossomed and looked to be even better before she went out after 9 games last season.

Toward the end of this season I felt like we started to see the old TK a little, especially on defense. At her best she’s 65% FG percentage player and about the same from the line. At her worst she’s a 50% shooter from both. Imo still acceptable for what she brings to the team defensively.

Hope she returns and averages 12 and 8 on 68% shooting and 68% from the line.

Last edited:
TK probably makes a statement in the next couple of days. We'll know for sure if Coach Kellie is back or not as he want wait past today or tomorrow if a change was in the plan.

Reactions: krichunaka
MATTHEW MITCHELL

Head coaching record​

Statistics overview
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2005–06Morehead State16–1311–94th
2006–07Morehead State14–1613–74th
Morehead State:30–29 (.508)24–16 (.600)
2007–08Kentucky17–168–65thWNIT Quarterfinals
2008–09Kentucky16–165–910thWNIT second round
2009–10Kentucky28–811–52ndNCAA Elite Eight
2010–11Kentucky25–911–52ndNCAA second round
2011–12Kentucky28–713–31stNCAA Elite Eight
2012–13Kentucky30–613–32ndNCAA Elite Eight
2013–14Kentucky26–910–64thNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014–15Kentucky24–1010–6T-4thNCAA second round
2015–16Kentucky25–810–6T-4thNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2016–17Kentucky22–1111–5T-4thNCAA second round
2017–18Kentucky15–176–109th
2018–19Kentucky25–811–54thNCAA second round
2019–20Kentucky21–710–6T–3rdPostseason not held due to COVID-19
Kentucky:281–125 (.692)119–69 (.633)
Total:311–154 (.669)

MATTHEW MITCHELL

Head coaching record​

Statistics overview
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2005–06Morehead State16–1311–94th
2006–07Morehead State14–1613–74th
Morehead State:30–29 (.508)24–16 (.600)
2007–08Kentucky17–168–65thWNIT Quarterfinals
2008–09Kentucky16–165–910thWNIT second round
2009–10Kentucky28–811–52ndNCAA Elite Eight
2010–11Kentucky25–911–52ndNCAA second round
2011–12Kentucky28–713–31stNCAA Elite Eight
2012–13Kentucky30–613–32ndNCAA Elite Eight
2013–14Kentucky26–910–64thNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014–15Kentucky24–1010–6T-4thNCAA second round
2015–16Kentucky25–810–6T-4thNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2016–17Kentucky22–1111–5T-4thNCAA second round
2017–18Kentucky15–176–109th
2018–19Kentucky25–811–54thNCAA second round
2019–20Kentucky21–710–6T–3rdPostseason not held due to COVID-19
Kentucky:281–125 (.692)119–69 (.633)
Total:311–154 (.669)

Would be very shocked by this. I don’t see White going that direction at all. Way too many question marks about someone who hasn’t coached in 5 years.

He would be completely out of recruiting at any level at this point and if we fire Harper that’s probably the #1 priority for the new coach. Has to be someone who can immediately attract or bring talent with them.

Mitchell can do neither, and really isn’t an upgrade over Kellie. Never liked his teams much as he too was always heavily reliant on one player. Much prefer teams with balance like Oregon State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back