Coaches and staff

Volanta

Curious to see our collective thoughts on the leadership style of Coach Heupel, as best we can ascertain.

I was listening to the Tony Basilio radio show and it’s been said that boosters and donors are putting pressure on Coach Heupel to dismiss the Coach Elarbee, the offensive line coach. It has been said that much frustration and angst are amongst the donors, because they feel he does a poor job with recruiting and developing our offensive line talent. Obviously we have Lance Heard but notwithstanding our offensive line has been poor in terms of depth at times.

My question: Is Coach Heupel the type to not fire coaches because they’re his friends? I’ve also heard that him and his offensive line coach are extremely close but aside from that position coach there also seems to be quite a bit of dissatisfaction with Coach Martinez and the lack of development and coaching of our defensive backs.

I guess I’m asking a leadership question as well as a cultural one. Anyone have knowledge on past coaches stating what it’s like to work for Coach Heupel? It seems like he’s a very relationship, family oriented type guy and I can see why recruits love him, but ultimately, will he do what it takes to get a better product in the field?

Kirby Smart was perfectly fine to demote Coach Muschamp to bring in Alabama assistant Travaris Robinson as Co-Defensive Coordinator and Safeties Coach who in turn brought with him one of the top defensive backs.

What y’all think?

As far as coach Heup goes I’m extremely glad to have him and where this program is, considering where we were not all that long ago. If the secondary shows no improvement though this year I think he has to find somebody else. We shall see

Curious to see our collective thoughts on the leadership style of Coach Heupel, as best we can ascertain.

I was listening to the Tony Basilio radio show and it’s been said that boosters and donors are putting pressure on Coach Heupel to dismiss the Coach Elarbee, the offensive line coach. It has been said that much frustration and angst are amongst the donors, because they feel he does a poor job with recruiting and developing our offensive line talent. Obviously we have Lance Heard but notwithstanding our offensive line has been poor in terms of depth at times.

My question: Is Coach Heupel the type to not fire coaches because they’re his friends? I’ve also heard that him and his offensive line coach are extremely close but aside from that position coach there also seems to be quite a bit of dissatisfaction with Coach Martinez and the lack of development and coaching of our defensive backs.

I guess I’m asking a leadership question as well as a cultural one. Anyone have knowledge on past coaches stating what it’s like to work for Coach Heupel? It seems like he’s a very relationship, family oriented type guy and I can see why recruits love him, but ultimately, will he do what it takes to get a better product in the field?

Kirby Smart was perfectly fine to demote Coach Muschamp to bring in Alabama assistant Travaris Robinson as Co-Defensive Coordinator and Safeties Coach who in turn brought with him one of the top defensive backs.

What y’all think?
I feel if Mississippi gets any more Vol players from the transfer, they should change their name to Vols Lite, or MissiVols ?

What exactly do you think recruiting is these days? It’s more than NIL but it is certainly part of the equation if you’re expecting to get 4 and 5 stars
Obviously. I think recruiting is still based on personal relationships built but the money talks as well and if you don’t believe that then I don’t know what to tell you.
PS are you the grey or the white?

What y’all think?
Is coach Heupel the type not to fire coaches because they are his buddies? The data we have points to that being a yes. I mean I know there are people who carry Willie Martinez jock in here. But I find it striking that Heupel has continued to stick with WM. He has been terrible here outside of a little bit of good.

So Martinez was the only coach that didn’t receive a contract extension. Then after all this time Heupel decides to give him a new contract. Even after seeing how bad our CBs have been. Now some like to bring up the talent excuse. Don’t give me that BS. This same people will brag about how Washington took a team not loaded with 4 and 5* to the NC game.

Fact is Martinez should not be our CB coach. I do believe Heupel loves continuity in his staff. He values the family atmosphere. I get that. But he should be evaluating his staff every season and always be looking to upgrade.

What? Are you kidding me? We may have the best offensive line in the country now, and I’m hearing this stuff?
Help me out. Now that we have Heard who is our starting O-line and 2 deep? Are our offensive line depth struggles solved since Mincy transferred?

Reactions: murfvol1
Is coach Heupel the type not to fire coaches because they are his buddies? The data we have points to that being a yes. I mean I know there are people who carry Willie Martinez jock in here. But I find it striking that Heupel has continued to stick with WM. He has been terrible here outside of a little bit of good.

So Martinez was the only coach that didn’t receive a contract extension. Then after all this time Heupel decides to give him a new contract. Even after seeing how bad our CBs have been. Now some like to bring up the talent excuse. Don’t give me that BS. This same people will brag about how Washington took a team not loaded with 4 and 5* to the NC game.

Fact is Martinez should not be our CB coach. I do believe Heupel loves continuity in his staff. He values the family atmosphere. I get that. But he should be evaluating his staff every season and always be looking to upgrade.
Completely agree

Reactions: Deebowbear
It remains to be seen if Heuple's way will work and by that I mean IMO
he is not "cutthroat" enough to win a championship. There are
questionmarks in regards to Martinez and Elarbee that there are better
options out there. Coach obviously values culture building over getting a
stronger staff.

I personally think Elarbee is not quite the recruiter that we need and his
development skills are questionable. I also think we should replace Martinez.
With all the new secondary players coming, I think that will be the next excuse
that will be used if UT doesn't meet fans expectations.

Considering the state of the program and roster when this staff took over, I think the program needs continuity on the staff as much as possible. We basically lost an entire recruiting class with the Pruitt fallout. I forget where he said it, but at some point this past season Heup commented on it, basically saying they had a group of seniors and then a pretty big gap and then freshmen and some sophomores. The depth issues don’t appear to have been caused by this staff, at least not to this point anyway and they have done an admirable job in the portal each offseason. Also I think 2022 was the perfect storm of just the right talent at the right spots, some luck on the injury front, and Hendon and those receivers having already had the second half of 2021 to be so in sync. It also probably raised the immediate expectations to an unrealistic level, at least for this past season.

What y’all think?
A better product? We just had the best 2 seasons in 20 years and he's only been here 3.

Who's unhappy with player development? Fans?

I think that was more to do with nil than actual recruiting. I’ve been wrong before tho
NIL is now recruiting. They’re little two peas in a pod. You have to recruit the player and then NIL steps in to finish the job. So yes, this had everything to do with Elabree.

Reactions: Volanta
I think that was more to do with nil than actual recruiting. I’ve been wrong before tho
It's all a part of the whole team thing if you havent bought in on NIL as a part of recruiting yet that's on you. You prioritize players and you throw all you have at them.

Reactions: Volanta
It remains to be seen if Heuple's way will work and by that I mean IMO
he is not "cutthroat" enough to win a championship. There are
questionmarks in regards to Martinez and Elarbee that there are better
options out there. Coach obviously values culture building over getting a
stronger staff.

I personally think Elarbee is not quite the recruiter that we need and his
development skills are questionable. I also think we should replace Martinez.
With all the new secondary players coming, I think that will be the next excuse
that will be used if UT doesn't meet fans expectations.
I think Huepel is super competitive and will slit your throat with a smile on his face. He’s already won a championship and knows what goes into it.

I swear we don’t deserve Heupel sometimes. Some of you are completely clueless on the situation he came into. The record he has with the obstacles that were in place when he got here is remarkable. You had a year where we landed one of the top five best Oline classes in the country and people are questioning recruiting? Or that we landed a five star LT via the portal that was one of the highest rated linemen in the portal?

VN Store

Back