Coaches and staff

Never a good sign for a coaches future when donors start getting involved. The pressure is on to win this season.
No pressure at all. This is just another Tennessee Tradition. And it is detrimental to the program over and over again.

I guarantee you that White and Heupel are smart enough to control the program and tell people it would be easy for the program to fall back to where you were 3 years ago.

My take here...3 yrs into the Danny White/ Josh Heupel Era where ALL the power was ripped away from the "boosters and donors" and now thise people are trying to stir the pot to see if they can regain any kind of sway in the AD again.

I agree with what someone said above - donors and boosters need to be speaking to Danny White, and only Danny White, and he needs to introduce them to Spyre and say "this is how you help recruit".

They would speak with Danny and not Josh to offer any concerns in regard to coaches imo. Those guys don't try to tell coaches how to staff. They offer suggestions to the AD, not the coach.

I know Tony has contacts within the booster / high donor contingent as do most media... could be someone saying this not as connected or Tony just stirring things.. JMO

Last edited:
Reactions: IndianaVol
No pressure at all. This is just another Tennessee Tradition. And it is detrimental to the program over and over again.

I guarantee you that White and Heupel are smart enough to control the program and tell people it would be easy for the program to fall back to where you were 3 years ago.
Exactly if the boosters want to tell a coach who to hire and when to fire them the Boosters need to be happy with 6-6. No quality coach is going to Coach here under those circumstance.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Curious to see our collective thoughts on the leadership style of Coach Heupel, as best we can ascertain.

I was listening to the Tony Basilio radio show and it’s been said that boosters and donors are putting pressure on Coach Heupel to dismiss the Coach Elarbee, the offensive line coach. It has been said that much frustration and angst are amongst the donors, because they feel he does a poor job with recruiting and developing our offensive line talent. Obviously we have Lance Heard but notwithstanding our offensive line has been poor in terms of depth at times.

My question: Is Coach Heupel the type to not fire coaches because they’re his friends? I’ve also heard that him and his offensive line coach are extremely close but aside from that position coach there also seems to be quite a bit of dissatisfaction with Coach Martinez and the lack of development and coaching of our defensive backs.

I guess I’m asking a leadership question as well as a cultural one. Anyone have knowledge on past coaches stating what it’s like to work for Coach Heupel? It seems like he’s a very relationship, family oriented type guy and I can see why recruits love him, but ultimately, will he do what it takes to get a better product in the field?

Kirby Smart was perfectly fine to demote Coach Muschamp to bring in Alabama assistant Travaris Robinson as Co-Defensive Coordinator and Safeties Coach who in turn brought with him one of the top defensive backs.

What y’all think?
Assuming what you say is true, I think it sounds like our donors are trying to be like Auburns donors and meddle too much.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
Considering the state of the program and roster when this staff took over, I think the program needs continuity on the staff as much as possible. We basically lost an entire recruiting class with the Pruitt fallout. I forget where he said it, but at some point this past season Heup commented on it, basically saying they had a group of seniors and then a pretty big gap and then freshmen and some sophomores. The depth issues don’t appear to have been caused by this staff, at least not to this point anyway and they have done an admirable job in the portal each offseason. Also I think 2022 was the perfect storm of just the right talent at the right spots, some luck on the injury front, and Hendon and those receivers having already had the second half of 2021 to be so in sync. It also probably raised the immediate expectations to an unrealistic level, at least for this past season.
My friends and I all knew that this season was going to be a 8/9 win season. U just can't lose that much talent and expect to repeat results with freshmen/ sophomores.

My friends and I all knew that this season was going to be a 8/9 win season. U just can't lose that much talent and expect to repeat results with freshmen/ sophomores.
The expectations got boosted for a lot of us when we saw Joe absolutely Ball out against Clemson. If Joe would have had games like and the OL would have been healthy all season, 10 wins would have been realistic, beating Florida and Missouri and havingva fighting chance against Bama

VN Store

Back