Coaches and staff

Do not like Martinez. Not a good coach but everyone says he recruits good. Heupel needs to demote him to of analysis and get a good X and Os coach if he wants to keep him
He wouldn’t do that. Martinez is close to hanging it up anyways. I’m not saying Martinez is a top tier coach but he would look much much better with some actual talent. You’ve got a bunch of kids coming in that will be very good and a couple of transfers that look good as well; talent is a lot better than it has been. Hadden was one of the higher graded CBs in the conference while healthy this year; Banks also had Tank as one of the higher graded safeties in the conference as well. The secondary still isn’t great but it’s infinitely better than what we had when Banks and Heupel arrived.

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
If you’re going to better the team it’s just not the players its the coaching upgrade also
If you’re going in the right direction you keep going that way. You’re going to see a coaching change soon anyways there, just won’t be this year. If you have a lot of young talent, having a new coaching addition isn’t always the greatest.

Curious to see our collective thoughts on the leadership style of Coach Heupel, as best we can ascertain.

I was listening to the Tony Basilio radio show and it’s been said that boosters and donors are putting pressure on Coach Heupel to dismiss the Coach Elarbee, the offensive line coach. It has been said that much frustration and angst are amongst the donors, because they feel he does a poor job with recruiting and developing our offensive line talent. Obviously we have Lance Heard but notwithstanding our offensive line has been poor in terms of depth at times.

My question: Is Coach Heupel the type to not fire coaches because they’re his friends? I’ve also heard that him and his offensive line coach are extremely close but aside from that position coach there also seems to be quite a bit of dissatisfaction with Coach Martinez and the lack of development and coaching of our defensive backs.

I guess I’m asking a leadership question as well as a cultural one. Anyone have knowledge on past coaches stating what it’s like to work for Coach Heupel? It seems like he’s a very relationship, family oriented type guy and I can see why recruits love him, but ultimately, will he do what it takes to get a better product in the field?

Kirby Smart was perfectly fine to demote Coach Muschamp to bring in Alabama assistant Travaris Robinson as Co-Defensive Coordinator and Safeties Coach who in turn brought with him one of the top defensive backs.

What y’all think?
You seriously want to give validity to a self paid clickbait artist’s whining?

Reactions: onevol74
In defense of Martinez, I believe Heupel was waiting or processing Pruitt's guys out while developing his recruiting classes. Think now we are at the point where: A. those recruits are expected to produce or bounce, and B. we should see development or position coaches are out of herre!

Never a good sign for a coaches future when donors start getting involved. The pressure is on to win this season.

Reactions: Volanta
Never a good sign for a coaches future when donors start getting involved. The pressure is on to win this season.
I’m sure there’s pressure to win every season at this point. Heupel has redefined the time table on what success will be. I’m not putting too much stock into Basillio though; Tony’s job is to generate interest and controversy and sometimes he gets carried away with it. That said our idiot boosters fighting and trying to control the program is what led to two decades of mediocre to terrible football.

I’m sure there’s pressure to win every season at this point. Heupel has redefined the time table on what success will be. I’m not putting too much stock into Basillio though; Tony’s job is to generate interest and controversy and sometimes he gets carried away with it. That said our idiot boosters fighting and trying to control the program is what led to two decades of mediocre to terrible football.
Its probably not a good thing, but I can see certain boosters using recruiting and not firing some of his underperforming buddies against him (to gain back some power and sway) if he struggles this season.

Its probably not a good thing, but I can see certain boosters using recruiting and not firing some of his underperforming buddies against him (to gain back some power and sway) if he struggles this season.
Danny White should tell those boosters in the nicest possible way to STFU and add in if theyre worried about recruiting so much he can put them in contact with Spyre.

Reactions: IndianaVol
“Doners and boosters” is to sports media what “sources close to the situation” is to political media. It’s a way for hack writers to add false credibility to their opinions.

You don’t get better changing coaches every year either. Recruiting is a process and landing the elite players takes years of relationship building no way we get the talent we need by changing position coaches every time the fan base thinks a coach isn’t doing a good job.

IMO the downfall of Bama was the constant carousel of coaches they had. No way a team can build continuity with the amount of coordinators they had leave the last few years.

“Doners and boosters” is to sports media what “sources close to the situation” is to political media. It’s a way for hack writers to add false credibility to their opinions.
As much as I criticize Tony B, I don’t even think it’s his opinion. Just gives him something to talk about and people to give opinions on.

Curious to see our collective thoughts on the leadership style of Coach Heupel, as best we can ascertain.

I was listening to the Tony Basilio radio show and it’s been said that boosters and donors are putting pressure on Coach Heupel to dismiss the Coach Elarbee, the offensive line coach. It has been said that much frustration and angst are amongst the donors, because they feel he does a poor job with recruiting and developing our offensive line talent. Obviously we have Lance Heard but notwithstanding our offensive line has been poor in terms of depth at times.

My question: Is Coach Heupel the type to not fire coaches because they’re his friends? I’ve also heard that him and his offensive line coach are extremely close but aside from that position coach there also seems to be quite a bit of dissatisfaction with Coach Martinez and the lack of development and coaching of our defensive backs.

I guess I’m asking a leadership question as well as a cultural one. Anyone have knowledge on past coaches stating what it’s like to work for Coach Heupel? It seems like he’s a very relationship, family oriented type guy and I can see why recruits love him, but ultimately, will he do what it takes to get a better product in the field?

Kirby Smart was perfectly fine to demote Coach Muschamp to bring in Alabama assistant Travaris Robinson as Co-Defensive Coordinator and Safeties Coach who in turn brought with him one of the top defensive backs.

What y’all think?
The donors are the reason we went through hell in the first place. For them to think they know football better than Josh says so much. I posted in another thread that our passing defense was TWICE as good statistically speaking this last year. Just google it or search through my last comments. Hadden went from terrible to the top lowest passer rating allowed in one season before he got hurt. He has a couple young guys flashing and he has been recruiting very well.

OL, we all saw Wright underperforming until he played under Elarbee. Elarbee got the most out of him. Mays has improved as well, but has battled injuries. Mincey was a nice pickup. Nico had all day to throw against Iowa. I think if we do end up landing Heard and he plays up to 5* potential on OL, we will be very good next year. He has also coached some solid lines historically with lesser rated talent.

I have to agree with the recruiting and with the fact that regardless of the fact all of the above is true, we seem to have lost most games in the trenches and don’t seem to have much young talent flashing at that spot. So, I can understand focusing on that position coach. If we aren’t really good next year and we don’t show signs of great improvement from younger guys, it might be time to bring in a big named OL coach. But not now IMO.

I have seen people in other professions lose great momentum and even go out of business with a hire fast, fire mentality or by underspending the talent they had which ultimately left. I would imagine the same upsides and downsides exist in any business. Sometimes it works out, but other times it doesn’t. I would imagine Kirby knew who he wanted to hire and knew he could before he made that move.

Hopefully, if we do make a move, we have learned that lesson.

Reactions: DaddyChad
In defense of Martinez, I believe Heupel was waiting or processing Pruitt's guys out while developing his recruiting classes. Think now we are at the point where: A. those recruits are expected to produce or bounce, and B. we should see development or position coaches are out of herre!
I 💯 agree. WM first year he came in after signing day and had a room full of JP recruits that were not SEC talent. He couldn’t run them off and have no one so he did the best with what he had until he could stock the room with his players. This is the first year that I feel like he has the talent it takes to compete in the SEC.

Coming from a smaller conference, Heupel probably failed to realized what a cutthroat business SEC football really is. If you are winning against the big teams, a coach can keep the boosters at bay. Start showing signs of slipping and out of the woodwork they will come. This is why it's very important to upgrade your staff and let go of underperforming coaches as soon as the season is over.

I know the quote below is from a cartoon duck, but I think it should be the creed of every good SEC coach.

"I made it by being tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties! And I made it square!".

Reactions: Volanta
My take here...3 yrs into the Danny White/ Josh Heupel Era where ALL the power was ripped away from the "boosters and donors" and now thise people are trying to stir the pot to see if they can regain any kind of sway in the AD again.

I agree with what someone said above - donors and boosters need to be speaking to Danny White, and only Danny White, and he needs to introduce them to Spyre and say "this is how you help recruit".

Reactions: JRich
My take here...3 yrs into the Danny White/ Josh Heupel Era where ALL the power was ripped away from the "boosters and donors" and now thise people are trying to stir the pot to see if they can regain any kind of sway in the AD again.

I agree with what someone said above - donors and boosters need to be speaking to Danny White, and only Danny White, and he needs to introduce them to Spyre and say "this is how you help recruit".
White's in the same boat with Heupel, if they struggle again this season and will probably be the first one forced to leave. His job security at TN hinges on Heupel's success.

Some of you nega and christ,I know everything vols need to close the gaping hole in your brain that states we need to get rid of coach Ellerbe.If that be true because he doesn't get the olinemen you think are top notch,then we need to get rid or coach Garner also.He didn't get Walter Nolen and probably some other dlineman,therefore, he needs to go.How stupid of you.You're not a coach or recruiter,so sit at home and let those whose job it is recruit their players.

Reactions: bullet20

What y’all think?
Tony Basilio lol, what a source. You should contact Paul Finebalm sp, go on his show . Take the pressure off the exodus of Bama players. He would appreciate it.

Someone else on this board and in another post mentioned a certain booster starting to question Heupel's decisions. Like it or not, there is some smoke.
Yeah I don’t agree with ppl dismissing it bc it’s “booster talk,” stuff like this happens all the time.

Also let’s not forget when you hold the purse strings you get a say. Good bad or indifferent that’s reality. Do I think a booster is going to fire any coach? No. But let’s keep it real- they have SOME influence. Money matters.

Reactions: loservol

VN Store

Back