Coaches and staff

Curious to see our collective thoughts on the leadership style of Coach Heupel, as best we can ascertain.

I was listening to the Tony Basilio radio show and it’s been said that boosters and donors are putting pressure on Coach Heupel to dismiss the Coach Elarbee, the offensive line coach. It has been said that much frustration and angst are amongst the donors, because they feel he does a poor job with recruiting and developing our offensive line talent. Obviously we have Lance Heard but notwithstanding our offensive line has been poor in terms of depth at times.

My question: Is Coach Heupel the type to not fire coaches because they’re his friends? I’ve also heard that him and his offensive line coach are extremely close but aside from that position coach there also seems to be quite a bit of dissatisfaction with Coach Martinez and the lack of development and coaching of our defensive backs.

I guess I’m asking a leadership question as well as a cultural one. Anyone have knowledge on past coaches stating what it’s like to work for Coach Heupel? It seems like he’s a very relationship, family oriented type guy and I can see why recruits love him, but ultimately, will he do what it takes to get a better product in the field?

Kirby Smart was perfectly fine to demote Coach Muschamp to bring in Alabama assistant Travaris Robinson as Co-Defensive Coordinator and Safeties Coach who in turn brought with him one of the top defensive backs.

What y’all think?
I think donors should allow the coach to make football decisions, including who best fits on the coaching staff

Curious to see our collective thoughts on the leadership style of Coach Heupel, as best we can ascertain.

I was listening to the Tony Basilio radio show and it’s been said that boosters and donors are putting pressure on Coach Heupel to dismiss the Coach Elarbee, the offensive line coach. It has been said that much frustration and angst are amongst the donors, because they feel he does a poor job with recruiting and developing our offensive line talent. Obviously we have Lance Heard but notwithstanding our offensive line has been poor in terms of depth at times.

My question: Is Coach Heupel the type to not fire coaches because they’re his friends? I’ve also heard that him and his offensive line coach are extremely close but aside from that position coach there also seems to be quite a bit of dissatisfaction with Coach Martinez and the lack of development and coaching of our defensive backs.

I guess I’m asking a leadership question as well as a cultural one. Anyone have knowledge on past coaches stating what it’s like to work for Coach Heupel? It seems like he’s a very relationship, family oriented type guy and I can see why recruits love him, but ultimately, will he do what it takes to get a better product in the field?

Kirby Smart was perfectly fine to demote Coach Muschamp to bring in Alabama assistant Travaris Robinson as Co-Defensive Coordinator and Safeties Coach who in turn brought with him one of the top defensive backs.

What y’all think?

If boosters and donors are pressuring our Head Coach to make certain decisions, we're screwed. I doubt that's happening, though. Coach Heup has played the college game at it's highest level; highly competitive and cool and calm under pressure. Doubt he listens to the outside noise.......

I enjoy Basilio and the Vol YouTube guys particularly Dave Hooker and Caleb Calhoun. There are a lot of hours each week to fill with chatter. The most recent actual program evaluation is a 35-0 waxing of Iowa. Decision to start Nico was several weeks before any fans knew and that was anguished over ad nauseum. Ellerbee has been with Josh for years and integral to developing that lethal offense. Anyway the “boosters” Tony referenced have likely moved to another topic since the Heard announcement and Monday we can all learn what the newest armchair critique will be. Getting more difficult to create but Willie’s db room always can generate 20 minutes of chatter.

Is coach Heupel the type not to fire coaches because they are his buddies? The data we have points to that being a yes. I mean I know there are people who carry Willie Martinez jock in here. But I find it striking that Heupel has continued to stick with WM. He has been terrible here outside of a little bit of good.

So Martinez was the only coach that didn’t receive a contract extension. Then after all this time Heupel decides to give him a new contract. Even after seeing how bad our CBs have been. Now some like to bring up the talent excuse. Don’t give me that BS. This same people will brag about how Washington took a team not loaded with 4 and 5* to the NC game.

Fact is Martinez should not be our CB coach. I do believe Heupel loves continuity in his staff. He values the family atmosphere. I get that. But he should be evaluating his staff every season and always be looking to upgrade.
Do not like Martinez. Not a good coach but everyone says he recruits good. Heupel needs to demote him to of analysis and get a good X and Os coach if he wants to keep him

Do not like Martinez. Not a good coach but everyone says he recruits good. Heupel needs to demote him to of analysis and get a good X and Os coach if he wants to keep him
Just imagine how good we could be had we got the db and coach from alabubba that now is going to Georgia!

This is the part of the game that fascinates me bc as cringe as Botch was this is the “running your team like you’re a ceo.” You’ve gotta make hard personnel decisions.

Why can't we have Dolly involved in the recruiting process? She could really compete with the boobs on the other teams.

Reactions: Volanta
This is the part of the game that fascinates me bc as cringe as Botch was this is the “running your team like you’re a ceo.” You’ve gotta make hard personnel decisions.
Don't even go there. How did Butch's "hard" decisions work out for you? Butch was "like a CEO" but Heupel "is" a CEO who so far has proven capable of making the "right" decisions.

Reactions: VolDave53

What y’all think?
When boosters and donors start telling a coach what to do it is time to look around for better opportunities Why are we paying a coach $9 mil if he does not have the competence to hire a staff. Just put a bunch of donors on the sidelines every week if that is what makes you happy. Heupel won 11 games last year with someone else's players. How do you think that group of donors would have done?

Basillio is a cancer in the Knoxville sports media with his negativity. He needs to go back to Philadelphia to throw snowballs at Santa.

I think he is the best O line coach we have had in the last 20-23 years. He took a 5 * tackle who had been under performing and made him a 1st round pick. He took a bunch of 3 * players and a walk on or two, and had one of the top offenses in the Nation. Maybe the boosters chipped in enough to get Heard in the fold and they know we had been out bid for many of the better O linemen. I think our offense will be in the top 2-5 in the SEC and the defense will get them the ball more often this Fall. I expect a big year despite an inexperienced QB starting. Big donors were part of the reason we fell to have a program in the late 2000s and early 2 thousand teens. We know have likely, the best AD in the Nation and a really good head coach. We need their support but we need them to let the football professionals run the show.

How is the issue with them not Martinez? The OL thing is definitely an issue and may be a red flag but the OL has been really really good and if they're really good this year... how about we wait to fire him when they actually suck?

What y’all think?
He has never fired a coach.

Smart didn't "demote" Muschamp. Muschamp chose to take on less responsibility to focus on his kids.

What y’all think?

I'm a stats guy.. now some of these stats are not totally due to OL as other positions are also contributors but the play of your OL does dictate a lot of this, good or bad. Each can make their own conclusion based on the stats.

2022, these offense stats are records for Tennessee: First Downs - 330, Rushing TDs - 40, Pass Yds - 4,239, Pass TDs - 38, Ints - 3, total Yds - 6,832, total Pts - 599 and AVG pts - 46.08. Lot of this was Hooker's excellent play but not possible without a very good OL.

Other stats

Rushing yards the last three years, 2,832 - 2,593 and 2,663 (only 5 times was 2,000 yards exceed in the previous 21 seasons)
Rushing TDs 30, 40 and 23
Passing Yards 3,342, 4,239 and 3,162 (only 6 times was 3,000 yards exceeded in the previous 21 seasons)
Total Yards 6,174, 6,832 and 5, 825 (only 3 times was 5,500 yards exceeded in the previous 21 seasons)
Total points 511, 599 and 413 ( 0 times was 500 points exceeded in the previous 21 seasons).

IMO, the OL play has been extremely good the last 3 seasons. This season, you lost a lot of starts from your starters which is the cause of the reduction in numbers from the OL. I think he is a damn good coach. His recruiting could improve and maybe it is with some taken this year.

What y’all think?
lost me right about there

naysayer, please.

Reactions: onevol74
Just imagine how good we could be had we got the db and coach from alabubba that now is going to Georgia!

He is making the hard decisions. He has decided to keep whom he wants.

It takes years to create a good offensive line. Very few are ready to play at an sec level out of high school. I feel good about our last few o line classes and the portal additions.

DB is the hardest position on defense. It has more to do with ability than coaching. I do not think Martinez is an elite coach, but he has taken a lot of bullets for the players who, if you really think about it, are not sec caliber players. Most were 3 star talent at best. I have a feeling that all of the upperclassmen transfers we recently had were asked to leave, or know they will not get any playing time because we are going to play the younger more talented guys we now have. The true measure of Martinez will be if he can get younger guys to play well this year.

Reactions: JRich
Fact is Martinez should not be our CB coach. I do believe Heupel loves continuity in his staff. He values the family atmosphere. I get that. But he should be evaluating his staff every season and always be looking to upgrade.
I don't care what Heupel values, if he's not evaluating his staff every season he should be replaced. Especially since many of our fans think Martinez shouldn't be our CB coach.

Why Heupel doesn't get his advice from VolNation I'll never understand. Ridiculous by gawd.

Is coach Heupel the type not to fire coaches because they are his buddies? The data we have points to that being a yes. I mean I know there are people who carry Willie Martinez jock in here. But I find it striking that Heupel has continued to stick with WM. He has been terrible here outside of a little bit of good.

So Martinez was the only coach that didn’t receive a contract extension. Then after all this time Heupel decides to give him a new contract. Even after seeing how bad our CBs have been. Now some like to bring up the talent excuse. Don’t give me that BS. This same people will brag about how Washington took a team not loaded with 4 and 5* to the NC game.

Two things. Washington is not in the SEC. And they had to come from behind to win a lot of close games. Their defensive backs didn’t set the league on fire 🔥

Willie Martinez - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics. About 50 former players have played in the NFL

Reactions: onevol74

If you’re going to better the team it’s just not the players its the coaching upgrade also

Reactions: loservol
Even in business it is not advisable to hire your friends. Often doesn’t end well.
I have had very little success hiring my "friends". They seem to feel a sense of entitlement because they 'know' me. And once I see that they don't respect the opportunity and/or they don't work as hard as I do, I fire them anyway. Then I lose a friend and an employee. Not something I'd ever do again,... that's if I have any friends left ....😅

VN Store

Back