College Football is officially a joke

Really? Why? Did the committee pick the 4 best teams?

If it's 4 best, where is UGA? Who in the final four would they not be favored over on a neutral field? The lines with OSU in the mix would be interesting as well.

This isn't an 8 team tournament. It's a 4 team tournament. No one is talking about OSU because they aren't close to a Top 4 team. Why not include Oregon if that's the case?

Conference champion means nothing when you are deciding the “4 best teams”. They didn’t say “4 best conference champion teams”

I have no idea the conversations that were had. I’m just speculating that they had to get FSU out of the top 4 and work out a way to justify it. So the first benchmark, whether they specifically said so or not, in deciding the best teams was to look at the conference champions (which actually aligns with the criteria laid out in the selection process).

Then, they looked at the other criteria, mainly strength of schedule, performance in those games, etc.

That allowed the argument to be made that Bama could get in over FSU. It would be a different story if they allowed UGA in, because UGA would be the outlier. At the very least they kept the selections consistent as conference champions and from there made the “evaluations.”

This isn't an 8 team tournament. It's a 4 team tournament. No one is talking about OSU because they aren't close to a Top 4 team. Why not include Oregon if that's the case?
Why isn’t UGA in if it’s the best 4? Who would they not be favored against on a neutral field?

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Ok then how does the NCAA get money to pay their employees.
Through all the other things the NCAA gets money for. FBS College football postseason (not FCS note the difference) is unique. The NCAA doesn't own or organize the bowl games or playoffs. Those are separate entities from the NCAA.

I think much of the NCAA's money comes from the Men's Basketball Tournament. That is a big money maker for them.

Here's the NCAA website where you can buy tickets for all the NCAA Championship events. Notice one sport that's missing?

Why isn’t UGA in if it’s the best 4? Who would they not be favored against on a neutral field?

I thought UGA should've gotten in over Texas. The Big 12 was one of the worst Power 5 conferences. They had to put Texas in since it beat Alabama. Alabama is a much better team now. As I have said, back then I couldn't wait for the Vols to face Milroe. He is a much different quarterback now.

College Football.........aka NFL Minor League is owned and operated by ESPN. $$$$$$$ Drives it. $$$$$$ for the players, schools, etc
NIL, Portals and all the other BS in play. It is what it IS! Tailgate, eat, consume adult beverages and go home and watch on tv.!!

Reactions: jaybird_1981
I thought UGA should've gotten in over Texas. The Big 12 was one of the worst Power 5 conferences. They had to put Texas in since it beat Alabama. Alabama is a much better team now. As I have said, back then I couldn't wait for the Vols to face Milroe. He is a much different quarterback now.
So it sounds like you agree we didn’t get the best 4 from the committee. Texas was deserving, UGA was better.

So tell me again why I need to rethink my previous post.

Uga will curb stomp fsu and it don't matter who plays.
Don’t be too sure of that. A team that feels disrespected is a very dangerous beast. And I see Georgia being overconfident going in. This has 85 Sugar Bowl vibes written all over it

Not sure if there’s more of a beef with Bama or Texas, but definite crock that FSU didn’t get a spot. All you can do is play the teams on your schedule.
Actually, a university can do more. They can schedule competitive teams; they ca accept the invitation to the best conference in football when it was offered, etc. You know, that sort of thing.

Reactions: MiramarVol
Ok then how does the NCAA get money to pay their employees.
Maybe I should have just done this from the beginning instead of expecting someone to take my word for it or check it out themselves.

This is a link from the NCAA website for where the NCAA gets money from. They do not receive revenue from FBS bowls or playoffs.

1701787151465.png

Last edited:
Two 1 loss conference champions in over an undefeated conference champion?
Gone are the days of results on the field. 2 years in a row Bama has gotten a bump for the "how they look". It's no longer just about winning but people's opinions truly matter more. The game has become down right pathetic. College Football is a complete joke on all levels.

I agree, 100%. My father played QB at Auburn and he really opened my eyes when he told me, if the situation was exactly the same, but the roles were reversed, Alabama would have still gotten in. If Alabama was undefeated 13-0, but lost their starting QB they still would have gotten in over Florida State and all of us know that is the absolute truth.

I’m not attempting to go on a rant here, just attempting to explain myself, but I feel they failed both logically and morally.

If you really wanted to be logical and take the best teams, why is Washington in there. I truly feel most college football fans even the committee themselves deep in their heart believes the 4 best teams are Michigan, Texas, Alabama, and Georgia. So why is Washington one of the four teams?

Second, on the morality side of it. What happens on the field should matter most, and there were only 3 teams that were a guaranteed lock to be in the playoff that’s Michigan, Washington, and Florida State. The 4th and final spot should have gone to either Texas, Alabama, or Georgia. The fact that Georgia was not a conference champion eliminates them first. The fact that Texas beat Alabama eliminates the Tide. Texas should have gotten the 4th spot. So as you can see, they got it wrong logically and morally.

Now, I will give you the honest truth that not many people have mentioned.

The television networks did not want Alabama and Georgia to play each other again. So they intentionally dropped Florida State to number 5 and brought Alabama to number 4 to prevent this from happening. It had a lot more to do with the television network then it did the integrity of college football.

An absolute sham.

Again, I get most of this from my dad, who is a former SEC QB. Take it for whatever you want.

Don’t be too sure of that. A team that feels disrespected is a very dangerous beast. And I see Georgia being overconfident going in. This has 85 Sugar Bowl vibes written all over it
Obviously I can't speak to their locker room but I think a GA team coming off consecutive championships and having not lost in 29 games not making the playoffs because of a 3pt loss in the CCG to a team now in the playoffs could have them pretty salty. Beating the team (FSU) that believes they belonged in the playoffs even more than you do seems like no small incentive.

I'm interested in who is actually planning on playing for both teams.

Now that is a great counterpoint. Kudos.

Of course that very much applies to this idea of SOS. Somehow FSU dropped after playing Louisville which tells me there’s zero credibility in the data. The only data that matters in FSU went 13-0 against a solid schedule that included 2 road games against SEC teams while Bama went 12-1, losing their big OOC game at home. Texas at home is probably about the same as going to Death Valley at night this year. FSU won, Bama didn’t. The playoff was supposed to remedy what happened to Auburn in 2004 yet here we are again.
The problem is that a human committee can’t observe data objectively. I can sympathize. FSU beat Louisville, whose 2 previous losses were to a 4-8 Pitt team and Kentucky. Losing to Texas is going to count a lot more than winning in Death Valley at a time when Clemson was seriously floundering- a team that lost to 7-5 Duke, 7-5 Miami, and a 9-3 NC State.

At the same time, I also see FSU’s point. If people had wanted objectivity, they would’ve kept the BCS formula in place for playoff selection, but even then it doesn’t solve the problem because models are only as good as the values of the data emphasized and the weight they are given. There isn’t a foolproof system, but the BCS formula at least had a system. The committee relies on human emotion. In the BCS, if the data favored FSU, then the injury to Travis would be irrelevant as long as they were still ranked in the AP and Coaches poll because the computer effect would balance the human opinion.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Kirby (who I hate) is too good of a motivator for his team to have a letdown. That doesn’t mean FSU can’t beat them somehow, but it won’t be because UGA isn’t motivated. A lot will depend on opt outs.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
So it sounds like you agree we didn’t get the best 4 from the committee. Texas was deserving, UGA was better.

So tell me again why I need to rethink my previous post.

FSU left the door open for an argument, but Texas did not.

Well, FSU had the number 55 strength of schedule and Bama had number 5. Bama lost to to a top four team, and beat the top team. FSU did not play anyone close to a Georgia or a Texas. Someone was going to be sad. They chose the crap commuter college that no one follows. Next year we’ll have a playoff with eight teams that don’t have a chance. That will be really boring.
UGA is going to to curb stomp FSU

Selection is closer to how selection is made in bball for tournament. Yes records matter but it’s about Q1 wins and trajectory of the teams where they are end of the season .

Bama is going in right direction. Millrose is playing at a high level now.

UGA is pretty banged up or think they would have beat Bama

FSU without their QB1 is not the same team. They scored 3 points in first half against a team that was beat by KY. Louisville loss to KY had an impact on the decision to keep FSU out.

The problem is that a human committee can’t observe data objectively. I can sympathize. FSU beat Louisville, whose 2 previous losses were to a 4-8 Pitt team and Kentucky. Losing to Texas is going to count a lot more than winning in Death Valley at a time when Clemson was seriously floundering- a team that lost to 7-5 Duke, 7-5 Miami, and a 9-3 NC State.

At the same time, I also see FSU’s point. If people had wanted objectivity, they would’ve kept the BCS formula in place for playoff selection, but even then it doesn’t solve the problem because models are only as good as the values of the data emphasized and the weight they are given. There isn’t a foolproof system, but the BCS formula at least had a system. The committee relies on human emotion. In the BCS, if the data favored FSU, then the injury to Travis would be irrelevant as long as they were still ranked in the AP and Coaches poll because the computer effect would balance the human opinion.
Yep. Of course FSU was down to their 3rd string QB, who wouldn’t have been playing in the bowl game absent another injury, and who knows if they stayed conservative on purpose knowing their D would win that game. They struggled at UF but that was the backup’s first start, in the Swamp at night with an undefeated season and playoff berth in the balance. The backup took on a good Louisville defense with the ACC title, playoff berth and undefeated season on the line. They both did enough to win. The committee projected what they thought would happen by picking Bama but the reality is they have no idea what would happen with FSU’s 2nd string QB starting and a month to prepare. If we went by their emotions they all would’ve picked Oregon over Washington too until UW beat OU a second time.

VN Store

Back